Thread: First sport caught Black Cod

Default First sport caught Black Cod

Finally got my first sport caught Black Cod last week in PWS, fishing 1900 feet deep. It was only a 5 lb. fish, but he will taste just fine smoked up, when I get a couple more. Also caught a 35 lb. halibut in the same area. Fun 8 day trip. Caught and released a 5 lb - 20 lb - and a 110 lb halibut in a different area. Lots of whales this year. A lot of otters with pups too.

Why so deep?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    Why so deep?
    That's where black cod (sablefish) live. They can be found in shallower waters, but there are far more of them and larger ones the deeper you get. Below 2,000' is ideal black cod habitat.

Just wondered if it was a typo. I've caught black cod before but in shallower water but was aware halibut and black cod live are also found at these deeper depths. If one is willing to fish those depths, my hats off to you for seeking such water.... as 1900ft is a long way to reel a fish. Way to go! and keep on keeping on.

what size weight do you use when fishing that deep?
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I experimented with a couple different size weights, a 4lb and a 5lb rectangular shape. The 4lb worked just fine for me. It was flat calm so the drift was nice and slow. If there's any wind, and/or current, I back troll, to slow the drift. My MEGA TWIN SEABORG 1000MT power assist reel, brings the terminal tackle up from 1900 feet in about 6 or 7 minutes with or without fish on the hooks. I fish two single hooks, separated by a couple feet. If I get a fish on, I let it sit for awhile hoping to hook up with the other hook. Black Cod are a schooling fish, so you may very well get two at a time.

By the way Brian, I tried the Nellie Juan spot, but the mud and silt is so deep on the bottom that it's tough to fish, and I actually lost some gear due to sinking so deep in the mud I couldn't pull my lead out. The Knight Is. spot is a harder bottom and much more user friendly.

I'm still searching for my first sport caught Shortraker. I've got time, so I'll just keep my line soaking, and trying different spots. I would love to get a 40+ lb Shortraker. A mount would definitely be in order.

[QUOTE=Sockeye Salm;962190]I experimented with a couple different size weights, a 4lb and a 5lb rectangular shape. The 4lb worked just fine for me. It was flat calm so the drift was nice and slow. If there's any wind, and/or current, I back troll, to slow the drift.

If you anchored up you wouldn't need such a heavy weight.