Thread: Onan 4kw Generator Oil

Default Onan 4kw Generator Oil

We recently purchase a motorhome and I am going through all the maintenance and am wondering what kind of oil to put in a Onan 4kw generator? The generator will get used in the winter months so would that change the viscosity of oil?

I run synthetic 5W-30 in mine year round in Fairbanks... in Seward you may get away with 10W-30 though. With synthetic you'll have no worries about the viscosity becoming too thick for starting.

Enjoy

-akiceman25

hThanks akiceman. Do you run studs on your RV in the winter up there? We have more freeze/thaw/ice down here on the Seward Hwy. I run them on our truck and think they are priceless for higher speeds. I am not looking forward to buying 6 load range F studded tires. I guess it is cheaper than insurance claims and possible medical bills.

You're welcome!

I don't put studded tires on my motorhome but I do choose not to use it when the roads are extremely bad. I just wait a few hours or even a couple days...roads clear up. It does get parked during the dead of winter (dec-feb) I must add.

Care to share what kind of rig you purchased?

-akiceman25

We got a 1999 Allegro 32' Class A w/27,000 miles 6.8 V10 in May.
    I have been in the process of going through everything maintenance related so that I have all my own records. We really want to use the coach for year around for trips to Anchorage in the winter. The Seward Hwy can be really nasty at times in the winter. I spoke with our local UPS guy who drives the big brown truck up and down the highway all winter and they put studs on his rig and he firmly believes in them for our local conditions. I have been searching for 245/70/19.5 Load F studded tires online and have not found much luck. I am going to make some calls this coming week to see what options I can find.

Do you store your RV in a heated garage or de-winterize it for each trip?

When I use my camper in the winter I leave it winterize, it not possible to keep the pipes from freezing. Another problem is the dump stations they are closed in the winter so I put a bag in the toilet and put it in the trash the next day. If you canít find studded tires there is no reason you can not drill and stud a regular tire or carry chains. It would be a good idea to carry some sand for the ice cover parking lots.

Another problem you will find in the winter is the cold temperature will drain the battery so you will have to run the generator all night if your heater uses 12v.

I run synthetic 5W-30 in mine year round as well. Another option that you can consider is to have your tired siped, I know a few people in Fairbanks that have had that done. Not as good as studs, but much better than stock.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    When I use my camper in the winter I leave it winterize, it not possible to keep the pipes from freezing. Another problem is the dump stations they are closed in the winter so I put a bag in the toilet and put it in the trash the next day.

+1

-akiceman25