Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any word on the guy who fell in today?

Default Any word on the guy who fell in today?

All I heard was he fell in around noon and had not been found yet. Anyone hear anything I would appreciate it. I know this kid and his familly, really nice people.

I just found out as well. Good family friend of ours. I heard the search has been called off. Nothing more.
    "One Last Cast"

I have known them for a long time as well. Just saw him a few days ago at safeway. Sucks.

Any other details? I haven't heard of this yet.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...dow_left_top_1

That does suck. I knew this guy as well.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Very sad. Condolences to the family and friends. It is astounding how many people that river has claimed...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Very sad. Condolences to the family and friends. It is astounding how many people that river has claimed...
    Mine too and a prayer.

Headed down there in a few hours. Needless to say safety will be first priority.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

That is awful news... I can only hope for a miracle and he shows up ok...

I have a question, were they dropped off on a rock in the middle of the river?

I have heard storys about this and I always wondered why they did'nt install some anchors to tie them selfs off to. Mind you I have never gone on a boat charter on the Copper River just thought it would be the wise thing to do. I've fished the river since I was 6, and it is one bad-***** river.

RIP. and thoughts to the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I have a question, were they dropped off on a rock in the middle of the river?

I have heard storys about this and I always wondered why they did'nt install some anchors to tie them selfs off to. Mind you I have never gone on a boat charter on the Copper River just thought it would be the wise thing to do. I've fished the river since I was 6, and it is one bad-***** river.

RIP. and thoughts to the family.
    I don't know the situation exactly with this fellow, but I've been dropped by Hem's in several spots. This year's was the hairiest for me. I had my rope and harness, but there was nothing to tie off to. And I most likely wouldn't have used it anyway, because the only way to dip at this spot required moving laterally around a rock point and then under it. I would have had way too much slack in my rope and it would have been a huge pain to adjust constantly.

Basically, I took the risk, like most folks do. Some spots are just really hard to tie off on even if you have the gear for it. If I was coming down the cliffs on the Haley Creek side it might be different, as there are numerous trees that would be good anchors. Like most things in Alaska and the outdoors, you wing a lot of what you do and assess the risks as you go and hope for the best. My heart sank when I heard about this. My condolences to his family and friends.

I have watched a few videos that showed dipping on the Copper. Decided it was not for me at this point- looked WAY TOO scary.
    Not to be a fatalist, but if he did indeed drown what is the chances of him actually being found? It would be bad enough on the family to find him dead, but to not know would be worse in my opinion.

I just read the article - tragic. My condoloences to his family and friends.

If you know someone going dipping, ask them to please wear a life jacket. I wear a life jacket on the road side often times even if it's not very steep.

This is my first post and I'm glad to be a member of this very informative forum. I had my first charter boat (Hem's) experience friday of last week. I was with a group of 5 dippers and only two of us had lifevest on. I had with me lifeline rope and a safety harness but I didnt use it. And yeah, one of the reason was difficulty on where to anchor those lifeline rope. Perhaps it would be in best interest of most charter customers if charter operator could provide every drop off point with strong anchor point so dippers could just hook on their lifeline (when needed). I was very cautious on my movement that day that after 10hours of hardwork, I went home with 6fish on my cooler.
    My condolence to the family of this young man... so sad.....

Perhaps SCADA could push for the installation of anchor points like they have on permanent rock climbing routes.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Perhaps SCADA could push for the installation of anchor points like they have on permanent rock climbing routes.
    That's an excellent idea. Problem I see with it is the river can rise and fall so much in the canyon that an anchor might be completely out of reach one day and under water another. Still a good idea, though.

Another simple idea is for Hem's to simply provide PFD's for all paying clients and require that they be worn. SCADA could probably work with them on this as well.

just outlaw it and be done with it

Grace and Peace to family and friends as the deal with this horrible loss....

Default Who's Responsibility Is It?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    ...simply provide PFD's for all paying clients and require that they be worn. SCADA could probably work with them on this as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskador View Post
    ...I was with a group of 5 dippers and only two of us had lifevest on. I had with me lifeline rope and a safety harness but I didnt use it...
    Having never used the charter service, don't know if they require customers to wear PFD's during transit. I would think that's their responsibility while clients are on board.

However, once people are dropped off, it is their own responsibility to act in a safe manner, and take all necessary precautions to ensure their survival in a wild and dangerous environment.

Lawyers would have a field day over making the charter operators somehow responsible for people drowning in the river after they've been dropped off.

Who's fault is it if you don't where a PFD? Someone else's?

Anyway, what a grief for family and friends. "If I only had..."

~tr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast