Thread: looking for roofing material

Default looking for roofing material

I'll post some pictures here soon, the log-work is done and the roof is in progress.

Anyone know where I might find some of the older style corrugated roofing in the Fairbanks area?

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    I'll post some pictures here soon, the log-work is done and the roof is in progress.

Anyone know where I might find some of the older style corrugated roofing in the Fairbanks area?
    WHY NOT TRY ROLLED ROoFING?
    Semper Fi!

You might also look at the standing seam metal roofing. No screws in the field to get caught by ice/snow. Goes on quick.

If you are doing metal..... be sure to ge the proper flashing for the size of material you are using. The chumbag that I paid too much money to and told him EXACTLY what I expected didn't order the correct stuff the first time. Now I have 1/2 inch of wood to paint instead of the metal covering it.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I was just asking about the old style corrugated roofing (that is being used in a lot modern building). They told me at Spenards that they would have to order it from outside and with the new shipping cost it was almost forbidden.

You might try Uresco. They seem to be able to bring stuff up from the states very reasonably.

As mentioned before, standing seam roofing would also be "period correct", but is pretty expensive. Of course you don't need much, so it might not be a big deal.

Yk

ASC stocks some stocks 8', 10', 12', 14' and 16' lengths in Anchorage. You need to go to an ASC dealer to order it. The SBS guy you talked to in Wasilla power drifter didn't know what he was talking about. I really don't want to break forum rules on advertising, but I can most certainly provide it in the south central area. Rivers Wood, Northland Wood, Uresco and SBS are all ASC dealers in the FBKS area.

Cost should be in the $3.20 per lineal foot range in South Central, probably more in the FBKS area. It will be 26" wide with a net coverage of 24" when lapped.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks Doug, I gave SBS a call and got a quote.

All Steel can order corrugated, and I can get products made by Fabral http://www.fabral.com/product.php?id=50
    But wondering why metal? I have a typical metal roof on my house and garage, and I am ready to yank it off and put shingles on.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

AKgramps,

I like the look of metal, and it's functional. Although I'm still trying to figure out a way to put a moss covered roof on the cabin that won't eventually consume the roof. I have an idea though, (started in another thread)...

What does the fabral product cost for 10' sheets? How wide are they?

AKgramps,

I like the look of metal, and it's functional. Although I'm still trying to figure out a way to put a moss covered roof on the cabin that won't eventually consume the roof. I have an idea though, (started in another thread)...

What does the fabral product cost for 10' sheets? How wide are they?
    36" wide, its all 24 ga. and right at $3.00 per sq foot. Plus freight, I would need to get a overall count of sheets and lenghts, screws, flashigs Etc. and get a freight quote. Fabral only make the 7/8" corrugated in 24 ga. which is somewhat overkill.
    Most light ga. roofing materials are 28-30 ga. 30 is pretty light for a roof, 26 ga would be my choice. They do make a 1/2" corruagted for $1.80 a sq foot, plus freight.

I know the metal roofs look nice, but the screws can loosen up, you should use a #12 screw, pre drill all the holes. Then consider snow stops to keep the snpw from sliding off. The snow can damage decks gutters, block doors (overhead). The snow stops also will keep branches and tree debris on the roof, will remain wet all the time from the tree mung. Then the roof is slippery when you get up with a hose to clean them off under the blasted snow stops.
    Our high sulfur heating oil can attack the finish............Just my experience on my house and customer houses. A couple of mistakes people frequently make: square cut rafter tails and roof metal on perlins w/o felt paper. They will leak unless steeper than 4/12.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR