Thread: Connecting trail between China Poot Bay and Halibut Cove?

Default Connecting trail between China Poot Bay and Halibut Cove?

Hey all,

I'm considering a camping trip around China Poot creek for some fishing and clamming action. I'd like to visit Halibut Cove village as well, but am not sure if any trails go there. I know Coalition trail connects to the east side of the cove, but wasn't sure if anything runs to the village of Halibut Cove itself. Is there any way to get there without bushwhacking? Can one walk along the beach once at the end of the cove?

I have never personaly hiked this trail but have stayed in Halibut cove and in Halibut cove lagoon.
    The trail you are talking about leads to the Halibut cove lagoon and the state parks dock and rental cabins there.
    I don't think you could hike to Halibut cove from there. Halibut cove only has a few houses and a B&B or two on that side. Most of what is considered Halibut cove is on Ishmalof island. This includes most of the businesses like the Saltry restaraunt(not recommended) and the art galleries( there are/were some good local artists). The Restaurant is expensive and requires reservations. they mainly cater to tourist on the Danny J tour boat.
    The floating Kaladi Brothers coffee shop is nice and the owner is very friendly.
    So there are a few B&B's in the cove one restauraunt two art galleries and the coffee shop for businesses there might be someone who rents kayaks as well but I am not sure on that one and a floating post office. The Scenery is wonderful but there really isn't much else to do while there other than visiting the few places I just mentioned and a few areas for hiking and beach walking.
    I would recommend a day visit there as it is very beautiful.
    Homerdave could fill you in with more details as he seems to know those trails real well and runs a watertaxi in the area that I heard is good.
    If you have a boat at China Poot with you that would be the best way to access Halibut Cove or take a water taxi such as Ashore water taxi.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I will have a sea kayak. Is it safe to paddle along the coastline from China poot over to Halibut Cove (2 coves over)? The only time I've used a sea kayak was on Eklutna lake, so I dont know what tides are like.

As mentioned you can hike to Halibut Cove Lagoon from China Poot, we've hiked it several times and it's a good hike.

As far as Kayaking from China Poot over to Halibit Cove, it depends on your experience. Kachemake Bay almost always has an afternoon breeze, so unless you are experienced in paddling a 2-3' chop, I'd advise against paddling over there. Also halibut cove is mostly private houses. We ran our boat over there once, walked around as much as possible, which wasn't much until coming to the multiple private property don't trespass signs and left. To say we were made to feal unwelcome would be an understatement.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yup as Paul mentioned there is the usually the afternoon chop. Othewise it wouldn't be hard for a moderately experienced Kayaker.
    Like I said before there isn't a lot going on in the cove other than the beautiful view most of the time.
    Most of the people I know and have met from there are nice.
    As for the no trespassing signs there is a lot of private property over there so it is not like you can just walk wherever you please on the island. If you go please be respectful of other peoples property.
    My dad's neighbor Grant has a house over there that he has had for a very long time that worked out great in his old commercial fishing days. He has a floating dock he lets me tie up to but be aware on a busy weekend there may not be a lot of public dock space to tie up to.
    Seldovia does offer more to see and do but it is still limited and has a real small town feel to it.
    I go to the Halibut cove lagoon every year for some camping during the crab season. I go to seldovia every year as well either with guests for lunch at the Tidepool restaraunt or for a little berry picking and such.
    I mostly go to halibut cove because it's close to Homer, Grant lets me tie up for free, and it has a great view.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Ok guys thanks for the info, really appreciate it.

Does China Poot Bay and/or Halibut Cove have any decent tide pools to explore? Or is it all mud and barren rocks?

Actually right around the dock in Halibut Cove Lagoon is a good place to explore tide pools.

I'm not familiar enough with China Poot, we've only hiked it from Halibut Cove Lagoon, had a snack on the beach, then hiked back.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

As far as kayaks go... is it safe to leave them somewhere (above tide line) and hike around? Do I have to worry about someone stealing my kayak? I was wondering if people chain them to a tree or something.

I would be highly suprised if in a location you have to boat to get to that anybody would mess with your kayak. We leave our inflatable w/ outboard and molded yack all the time in various locations and go off for day hikes. My primary concern would be not securing it properly and the tide taking it away.

Not saying bad things can't happen, but odds would be very slim. I'd say the odds would be greater if you didn't properly secure the boat to shore that somebody would try and get your boat back to you.

I worked at Kachemak Bay Wilderness Lodge in China Poot Bay many years ago, as a kid. We would use the Kayak's and go up into the bay at low tide and follow the channels through the mud. It was a lot of fun! The memorable moment was when I was paddling along and an eagle flew down and tried to pick me out of my Kayak. He was about 2 feet from me when he realized I wasn't a salmon floating belly up out of the bay! We did take them over to Halibut Cove and Seldovia, and pretty much all over. Course, I was young and invincable, so I don't remember being concerned about anything. Just take your time and plan on camping out if the weather picks up and you'll be fine.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com