Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish creek dipnet size?

Default Fish creek dipnet size?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, new to dipnetting.

I'm thinking about trying out the Fish Creek dipnet fishery (if it's open) this summer. I was wondering if anyone dips with a landing net? I'm guesstimating here, but mine probably is 6' tall (including net) and maybe 2.5' diameter. And it has black netting, not the mono kind. I know down on the Peninsula people would laugh at this net , but I thought it might be doable on a smaller creek. (I'm also considering going to China Poot creek this summer...hoping to use this net there as well).

If this just isn't going to work, what size length and diameter dipnet would I need?

Thanks,

People were using all kinds of nets out there last year. The landing style nets with black mesh still caught fish, more so down towards the mouth where it was a lot muddier. That is the big drawback to Fish Creek, the mud. I used my Kenai/Kasilof "Hoops of Death" and did very well. It was just a pain working the net back through the mud. Remember that one side is private property for a large part of the creek. The best place to fish appeared to be all the way down to the mouth itself.

AK Chappy

I have never fished fish creek so take from this what you will.
    I would suggest you take your existing netting off the hoop and pick up some gillnet web for it from Donaldsons or whomever carries this stuff in Anchorage.
    From a boat on the Kenai/Kasilof the black web can work good but from shore it doesn't work well at all. The gillnet web usually runs about $25 or so and will need to be cut down to fit your smaller hoop. I would pick up a small needle ( the plastic net mending type ) and some mending twine to make this part easier.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Yep 5 footers with gill net is the right tool. But like Chappy says it is a bit of a chore. About a third to half mile from the road to the mouth. Have to hump your gear through woods and tidal mud. And then your fish on the way back. Every wheeler I saw attempt the journey last year got stuck. Was told by those who had them that a canoe was the way to go.

Default left off ellipses

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Have to hump your gear through woods and tidal mud...
    I've heard there's something you can get to put your dipnet in to protect it from sticks and mud and such when you are carrying it.

~tr

I have not dipped Fish Creek in over 10 years.

Is it worth going back? I remember that the fishing was pretty decent back then, but the run crashed and the fishery was closed for a few years.

If it is worth a visit, I may have to haul the canoe out there and have some fun.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

If it opens then it is worth it.
    I used to fish with the type of net the original poster described. it works just not as well as the big nets.

I've yet to try Fish Creek.

If anyone has some good directions, that'd be great. I have no idea how to even find it or where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    I've yet to try Fish Creek.

If anyone has some good directions, that'd be great. I have no idea how to even find it or where to go.
    Head down Kink/Goose Bay road toward Pt Mac. Forget exactly what mile post it is near, but it is marked. One side is private property and the owner used to be pretty upset will all the attention the creek was getting. I doubt that has changed much. Last time I was there he was out on his land yelling at anyone who even got close to his side of the bank. Some folks had the gall to ignore him and trespass which did nothing but upset him further. But that was over 10 years ago so things may have changed.

I used to put in at the bridge in an inflatable raft and drift down toward the mouth. Sure beat dealing with the muck down there.

Mile 17,KGB road. Looking at the inlet, stay to the right. The property on the left is private and I don't blame the guy for trying to protect his property. People had wheelers and were just tearing up his property. This will probably be the last year for Fish Creek. No more stocking. SCADA got a lowering of the escapement goals at the last BOF so we should get an extra week for dipping. Like Fish and Game testified, might as well go out with a bang. Good luck!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    I've heard there's something you can get to put your dipnet in to protect it from sticks and mud and such when you are carrying it.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    SCADA got a lowering of the escapement goals at the last BOF so we should get an extra week for dipping. Like Fish and Game testified, might as well go out with a bang. Good luck!!!!
    Sweet, glad I joined SCADA!

I wasn't so concerned with my net diameter, although the length might be a concern. I dug up some photos from AOJ reports, and it looks like people are sporting pretty long pole handles.

Is 6' long enough or do I need to do a poor man's McGuyver job on my 6' net and throw a 5' aluminum tube over the end of the handle from home depot? haha

You might want to extend it to 10-11 feet. This way as the water drops, you don't have to stand on a 45 degree mud slope, which is almost impossible to do anyway.
    BTW, on those dipnet covers, I know where you could score em so if you are interested, send me a PM. I have one myself!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Please ! Leave your 4 wheelers at home as to Fish Creek, pick up your trash and respect the resource. Coming from Wasilla and looking down towards the inlet, the left, or Wasilla side is private property from about a quarter mile down and will be posted as such. Under the circumstances, I believe the property owners have been pretty lenient considering the deliberate abuse they have suffered and the damage to their property. Four wheelers are illegal on both sides and the Troopers post signs indicating this, but someone always seems to tear them down and I have seen a lot that just look at the signs and drive on. That or tear them down and throw them in the bushes. I am not sure, but I have also been told that the right side of the creek has some private property, but so far it has not been closed off though that could happen real fast if the disrespect of the property and area continue. It used to be that you could take the road just past the bridge and park at where the power-line intersects and walk, or 4 wheel down from there, but that now has a house on it and the trail has been closed by the owner.

Fish Creek tidal mud is treacherous to say the least and can be dangerous to people as well as animals when the tide comes in as well as being unbelievably messy. I would suggest leaving small children and pets at home as they are going to be coated with the stuff and it doesn't wash off well at all. You may be able to banish Fido to the back of the truck on the way home, but the little ones are going to make a mess out of your vehicles inside and you will possibly never get it all out. This doesn't even consider the danger of a pet or kid getting stuck in the mud when the tide comes in. Believe me, I have seen that happen.

Troopers are hit and miss at Fish Creek, but they definitely are there and will ticket you. The flagrant disregard shown by some nitwits could also make them a bit testy and you could just happen to be the next one coming along when the Trooper has has quite enough of politely warning, and then you are going to find yourself with a not so nice, expensive, ticket or possibly your four wheeler impounded. Personally, I don't think it is a wise idea to urinate off a Trooper as it not only could be very bad for me, but might also cause the closure of this fishery. I remember years ago when it used to be legal to snag down at the mouth and you could even do personal use set-netting in the salt water. There is no doubt in my mind at all as to why the snagging was closed and probably the set-netting as well, and it wasn't entirely due to the amount of fish taken by these methods – it became a nightmare and a zoo down there. I live in the area, so this is not speculation on my part and I want to be able to continue to use the resource for years to come, but that is going to take a lot more cooperation from the users than we are getting from a few that could mess it up for all of us. Again, I have seen it happen before with the snagging and personal use set-netting as I have lived here within a few miles of Fish creek for over 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    BTW, on those dipnet covers, I know where you could score em so if you are interested, send me a PM. I have one myself!!!

You mean the ones you're selling in the link in your signature?

Circumventing the sites stated advertising policy?
    Last edited by Brian M; 06-17-2011 at 14:36. Reason: personal comments
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Hey Hippie, I'm not selling anything. I know the guy and let him advertise on my SCADA site. I did it as a favor, no money is changing hands so I'm not circumventing any policy here on Mike's site. Check out the link, you will see it is not me.. Nothing sinister there but I'm sure you will try to make it so.
    It's just like when people ask who sells dipnets.. I tell them Donaldson's,Ron Fuller and Mike's welding. I'm not making $$$ of off of that either. Or just like suggesting a guide. People chime in, so did I. I don't see you making a fuss when guides advertise on this site and people give good feedback on others that don't advertise. Tootles dude!!
    Last edited by Brian M; 06-17-2011 at 14:37. Reason: referenced edited post

I know there are a lot of contentious issues about Fish Creek, but it's not on this post's topic. I've already read the last 2 years of posts on the subject, so no need to bring it up now, especially when we aren't even close to dipping season there. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by nuke4u View Post
    I know there are a lot of contentious issues about Fish Creek, but it's not on this post's topic. I've already read the last 2 years of posts on the subject, so no need to bring it up now, especially when we aren't even close to dipping season there. Just my 2 cents.
    Plus when you consider that the violators probably never visit this forum it is kinda moot point.

Thanks bilder and thewhop for the directions. I appreciate it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast