Thread: Photo Ops around Nome

Default Photo Ops around Nome

Hello all,

Heading up there next week hoping to photograph musk ox and other possible bird species. Just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to share some locations with me. Especially looking for puffins and other sea birds. If you know anyone that can fly me to one of those off shore islands pls let me know.

I can return the favor if anyone is planning to visit Florida.

Sid,

Don't know about the sea birds, and I've never heard of MuskOx being on the Seward Peninsula. Perhaps I've missed something...again!

You might consider looking for some willow ptarmigan along the road system, especially up in the higher reaches. If you're really lucky you might see a gyrfalcon, but to see one up close enough to photograph would be extremely lucky.

Best of luck to you. If you fly fish be sure and bring a 4wt or 5wt, a dry line, and a bunch of dry flies, like #16 Elk Hair Caddis for the huge arctic grayling in the area streams.

Jim

Jim,

I spoke with couple of photographers that photographed Musk ox on Seward peninsula. They run photo tours to photograph nesting birds and they got very nice picture of musk ox last 3 years in a row. Also spoke with someone at Nome Visitors center and they directed me to their last year and current sighting records. Looks like worth trying.
    Here is a link to current and last year records
    http://www.visitnomealaska.com/nome-bird-watching.html

Got back from Nome a week back. Not a great trip but beats sitting at my work desk
    Lots of rain, cold and fog. Here are couple of pics from Anvil mountain area.

Nice captures, Sid! Nome does get some ugly weather, that's for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim