Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealions close to the boat ... scarry

Default Sealions close to the boat ... scarry

My son and I spent the weekend on the water, out of Seward in SW PWS, on the way back we agreed to clean our catch at Thumbs Cove and skip the "dog and pony show" at the docks. While at anchor back by the beach anchored up in about 90 ft of water we went to work. About half the work was done the water about 50 ft from us erupted and a medium size male Sealion was bring up the Halibut carcuses and shaking out chunks, seagulls were all over him. Just guessing but I think he was about 800 lbs. not a shy creature, after doing this for a while he cruised past the end of the Osprey, eyeball to eyeball with my son.

We started to wonder if he was going to try and jump up on the swim platform to grab a fish or two. After thinking for about 10 seconds I decided to start the engine and raise the rpm's to about 1200. He backed off and we finished cleaning fish in record time. A mom and a pup showed up hen we were just about done.

Can these big ctitters get dangerous in these kind of situations?

Like any other wild animal that thinks your feeding them. I wouldn't want one on my swim step.I had an otter begging at the boat in the harbor one afternoon, those things are big enough up close.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Can these big ctitters get dangerous in these kind of situations?
    I would think they could get agressive fighting for fish scraps but have no experience to draw from.
    Last winter at Russian new year my Fiancee and I were invited to an elders house for a meal. The highlight of the meal was Sealion soup. I hesitently tried a small piece of sealion and it wasn't that bad. I mostly ate the meatloaf and white mans food though.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I have had them swim fast towards the boat, go under the boat and pop up on the other side and repeat it several times while fishing out of Whittier. It made me very nervouse since I have heard of them trying to get on boats before. My boat won't like it much and I think it would be a very cold swim with the sealion if he tried. I pulled anchor and moved away from him to be safe.

I know the paper reported a few years ago about a guy in Kodiak harbor getting pulling off his boat by his butt. Nothing else happened to the fisherman. Hey just got yanked in.

Found it. The guy was in King Cove. Grabbed him right off the boat. Yikes!!

It has happened in Petersburg also.

When we started the boat it changed his behavior, perhaps I was reading too much into it but several times he looked right at us as if to say ..... more food, he first ripped out the gut of the butts and I am not sure that he bothered with the rest of the skelleton. A few years ago one was at the Seward boat harbor, cruise ship side, and at the cleaning tabled there they were stealing fish from the gut barge, probably just learned behavior.

I've met with them underwater while diving out of Seward, was told it's a common thing for them come play around divers. They are mostly just curious and playful. Haven't tried feeding one under water though.. yet

This is a funny thread... Of all the things in Alaska I am worried about, sea lions are about at the bottom of the list! Sure they piss me off when they steal my salmon, but I've never been scared of them. I've had them come up and try to grab salmon right at the boat too.

Just shoot them!!!
    Yep, blast em and have no fear, soon as the carcase is found they'll blaim a commercial fisherman! There all guilty of something and most exude that guilty smile 99% of the time, heck the troopers would love to hear your story about the bow picker you saw zooming away from the blood slick on the surface.

Mike

If ya aint carrying a gun on board then thats pretty stupid..Id shoot them first attempt to enter the boat. The gun is pretty good to have an any emergency.

As soon as one made an attempt to board I would shoot the thing.

When I had that one charging towards the boat several times the gun was in hand while the anchor was headed topside. I'm not into shooting federally protected animals, could you imagine the report for DLP with the feds on that? I will if I have to though since my safety is more important than the sealion. I just keep more aware of my surroundings when on the salt and i'm prepared for this kind of situation...

I commercial fished out of Kodiak for 20 years or so, and saw and heard of a lot of incidences of aggressive sea lions. I had one chase me up the dock once, I was running and didn't take the time to look back, but the guys on the boat said he was within a foot of having my ass for lunch. I wouldn't trust them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    When I had that one charging towards the boat several times the gun was in hand while the anchor was headed topside. I'm not into shooting federally protected animals, could you imagine the report for DLP with the feds on that? I will if I have to though since my safety is more important than the sealion. I just keep more aware of my surroundings when on the salt and i'm prepared for this kind of situation...
    You make a good point with the feds but i would rather deal with them than a sea lion in my boat LOL

I don't carry a firearm on my boat, but I have a custom piece of hickory for a fish club that I always have handy. I am prepared to nail one alongside the noggin with it, and I would meet it at the rail. We have had problems with aggressive ones here locally, too - especially when you are dumping bait and they are convinced that you have more. A large cow came up with her flippers onto the swim-step of my 19-foot Glasply when we were anchored on a halibut hump. We pull our bleeding halibut aboard if we notice sealions around and I quickly learned to dump our chunks of bait "on the run" after the anchor is aboard after that particular episode. The aluminum swim-step had the edge collapsed because of her weight.

I once had one circling the skiff 3 or 4 feet away and about the 4th time i was a pretty uncomfortable, a little blast from the airhorn sent him on his way real fast.

Has anybody got any actual incidences of a sea lion actually boarding a vessel and sinking it, while people were aboard?

I don't trust them. They don't call them "lions" for nothing. I consider them the bears of the water. I carry a firearm everywhere. If he/she boards my boat (or even makes a half-hearted attempt to do so), I'm going to shoot him/her.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast