Thread: What rivers to float/fish in mid August.

Default What rivers to float/fish in mid August.

I'll be bringing a friend up in August and I'd like to go after some reds, rainbows, and silvers. Neither of us have ever caught a red (I lost a couple on the Klutina a few years ago) and my friend has never caught a salmon at all. In fact this is his first time to Alaska, and I want to maximize his experience with a well rounded bunch of fishing. Right now the only for sure plans are a Seward hali charter, Valdez silver fishing, and a float for silvers on the Little Su.

Around August 15th which would be a better bet for a couple of novices to have a shot at catching a red or two from the bank, the Kenai/Russian or the Klutina? We'll be in both areas. I've never fished the Kenai or Russian so I'm tempted to do a float with a guide, but if I can catch a couple from the bank somewhere that means we can spring for another silver float on the Kasilof for sure. Too many rivers, not nearly enough time.

Also, he's never caught a rainbow and I'd love to put him on even a couple moderate size fish. I'm looking at lakes north of Valdez, or perhaps a Kenai float could kill 2 birds with one stone, reds and rainbows? Don't really know the river at all so not sure which section would be best to float if we're targeting both.

Lastly, I stumbled across a Dolly last time I fished the Anchor River, my first ever. Will they still be in the river in mid August? I'd love to give him a shot at one. I'm planning to hit the Mendeltna Creek for a grayling or two since he's never caught one of those either. Any other creeks with quick access from the highway between Anchorage and Valdez anyone's willing to share? We're not looking for trophy fish, I just want to show him a good time. He's taken me to Canada many a time and shared all his secret spots, and I want to return the favor.

I know this is a lot of questions and I appreciate any help! Anyone who wants to go fishing around the Kena/Kasilof/Anchor/Homeri between August 11th and 15th is welcome to join us. I guarantee we'll make you feel like pros haha!

The upper Kenai should be good for reds and rainbows/dollies at that time and it's a nice float. The reds might be starting to turn, but you can probably find some good ones in there. I fished the Russian in mid-August in '09 and we had to sort through them, but there were plenty of good fish to be had. You might also want to try Quartz Creek for dollies. It's a few miles before you get into Cooper Landing, so it's in the same general area.

Thanks! Any guides that you'd recommend for the upper? I do fly and spin fishing but my friend doesn't flyfish. Are we going to run into fly only sections? Yes, I'll look through the regs before I go but just hoping for a fast answer so I don't waste time planning a trip somewhere we can't throw hardware.

I second the above. The Upper K should be good at that time.

I'll put Alaska Clearwater out there as my recommendation. I fish with them once or twtice every year. Steve, Dan and Shane are all good guys, and we've always had good/fun trips with them. Do the full trip all the way through the canyon. The bows and dollies should be stacked up at the outlet into Skilak and there should be plenty of reds coming through also.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfood View Post
    Thanks! Any guides that you'd recommend for the upper? I do fly and spin fishing but my friend doesn't flyfish. Are we going to run into fly only sections? Yes, I'll look through the regs before I go but just hoping for a fast answer so I don't waste time planning a trip somewhere we can't throw hardware.
    The regs will show you where the FFO water is. The Russian and Kenai sanctuary down to the power lines are FFO until August 20th. Your buddy can still rig his spinning rod for reds and be successful. He just has to use a coho fly. You'll see what I mean when you go down there. More than half of the fisheremen on the Russian/Kenai use spinning or casting gear. As far as guides go, AKTroutfitters has a great reputation down there as well.

Kyle with Keen Eye Anglers is the best! Plus he is an Alaskan Guide who stays here all year. My 11 year old daughter and teenage son have caught all the fish you are talking about floating the upper Kenai including the canyon. They had never fly fished prior to Kyle's great patience. Great guy. Great river. Great times. We are going with Kyle again this year and we live in AK. Enough said...oh yea 907-227-5308