Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Russian/Kenai

Default Russian/Kenai

So I was planning on heading down to the russian next week for the first time fishing reds. Would it be fairly easy to travel from the russian to a good spot for king fishing on the kenai afterwards? Can you fish the Kenai without a boat? If so is it better to fish closer to the mouth where the tides influence it more or fish it up stream a bit?

Thanks for the tips as always.

Soldotna is only 45 minutes to an hour away from the Russian. There's plenty of bank fishing opportunities at Swiftwater and Centennial campgrounds among other places. I saw a guy get a king on when we were fishing for reds in July last year at Centennial. He was obviously targeting them because he was casting into the middle of the river with heavy tackle. It darn near had him spooled and he was walking down the bank with it through all of the fishermen. My guess is it either broke him off or he walked it all the way down to Kenai.

Thanks. Im not very familiar with the area but from viewing the regs pages I noticed there were some bank closures around there so knowing a few campgrounds with decent bank/wade in fishing is good.

Anybody else got any tips for me? I read up on the regs down there but as usual I finished confused. I know that bait is off limits but is the entire drainage single hook lure as in no treble hooks?

While this may be a very pessimistic view, I think your best bet here is not trying for kings at all. Sure you might get lucky and catch a king bank fishing in the Kenai, but it generally requires a massive ammount of man hours, exceptionally sturdy gear, and an extensive knowledge of fishing tackle.

Do yourself a favor and just find one of the guides with a open seat and go catch your king. It might seem $$$ but with really never fishing them it's your best bet to make a memory.

If I were you I would say screw the russian and head down to the Kasilof, you can catch both kings and reds down there right now, and you can get both from the bank.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    If I were you I would say screw the russian and head down to the Kasilof, you can catch both kings and reds down there right now, and you can get both from the bank.
    Not a bad Idea. Is there camp grounds around the banks that we can stop at and hike from there? Im not afraid of a long walk but I would like to have an idea of where to stop at least.

Im assuming flies are still the recommended attractor for reds. Are the restrictions similar on the Kasilof to the Kenai?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Do yourself a favor and just find one of the guides with a open seat and go catch your king. It might seem $$$ but with really never fishing them it's your best bet to make a memory.
    Ive actually managed to get a couple of guys together this time. One of them has Zero experience and the other is an ocean fishing guy so we kind of just wanted to explore and not have to worry about hooking up 3 seats with a guide.

I don't believe there are any restrictions on what you can use for reds on the kasilof, I could be wrong though, you might want to consult the regs. As far as kings go, you are allowed to use bait, but you can only keep native fish on certain days of the week. You can keep hatchery fish every day. It's easy to tell the difference, Hatchery fish will have thier adipose fin clipped. It's the fin between the dorsal fin and the tail fin. I did well for kings down there on corky and yarn, as well as a spin-n-glo with roe.

The crooked creek campground is a very short walk to the water, and the coho cove campground is right on the water.

If you decide to hit up the Kasilof, lets us know how you do on the fish down there. Good Luck!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I don't believe there are any restrictions on what you can use for reds on the kasilof, I could be wrong though, you might want to consult the regs. As far as kings go, you are allowed to use bait, but you can only keep native fish on certain days of the week. You can keep hatchery fish every day. It's easy to tell the difference, Hatchery fish will have thier adipose fin clipped. It's the fin between the dorsal fin and the tail fin. I did well for kings down there on corky and yarn, as well as a spin-n-glo with roe.

The crooked creek campground is a very short walk to the water, and the coho cove campground is right on the water.

If you decide to hit up the Kasilof, lets us know how you do on the fish down there. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the advice. This is looking like the place to go for our trip this weekend. Maybe we'll get lucky and get a king and a few reds.

Is the water pretty clear in that river? How far up is subject to the effect of the tide?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Just Got Back Fom The Kasilof

My wife and I fished the Kasilof today.We walked in from Coho Campground.There were quite a few camping spots open though I didn't look to see the price for a spot.You can call them at 262-1939 for prices.They charge $5 a head for walk-ins.
    Today we were surprised that even that high up on the river --it is influenced by the tides.My wife thought she was gonna have to go swimming at high tide.There is a lot of moss/algae coming down the river as well so you'll have to clean it off your line about every cast.From the campground go down-river to a large gravel bar (its large at low tide--underwater at high) and look at where the drift boats are coming thru.It is a deeper channel that the kings travel.Tie on a SNG with a gob of eggs below and hold on.We saw probably a dozen fish caught this morning in the area we could see from the gravel bar.Even I got lucky today.
    Be aware that there are a lot of drift boats working the Kasilof right now.But it is one of the few rivers where you are allowed to keep 2 kings.Also check the regs so you know which days you can retain a native vs a hatchery fish (Tuesday,Tursday,and Saturday)
    We didn't see much activity from reds today from where we were.Most red fishing is done at Crooked Creek Campground because the banks there are better for that type of fishing (short, close shelf before deeper water).So pick your poison and give it a whirl.078.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 06-18-2011 at 15:46. Reason: spell check

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    My wife and I fished the Kasilof today.We walked in from Coho Campground.There were quite a few camping spots open though I didn't look to see the price for a spot.You can call them at 262-1939 for prices.They charge $5 a head for walk-ins.
    Today we were surprised that even that high up on the river --it is influenced by the tides.My wife thought she was gonna have to go swimming at high tide.There is a lot of moss/algae coming down the river as well so you'll have to clean it off your line about every cast.From the campground go down-river to a large gravel bar (its large at low tide--underwater at high) and look at where the drift boats are coming thru.It is a deeper channel that the kings travel.Tie on a SNG with a gob of eggs below and hold on.We saw probably a dozen fish caught this morning in the area we could see from the gravel bar.Even I got lucky today.
    Be aware that there are a lot of drift boats working the Kasilof right now.But it is one of the few rivers where you are allowed to keep 2 kings.Also check the regs so you know which days you can retain a native vs a hatchery fish (Tuesday,Tursday,and Saturday)
    We didn't see much activity from reds today from where we were.Most red fishing is done at Crooked Creek Campground because the banks there are better for that type of fishing (short, close shelf before deeper water).So pick your poison and give it a whirl.078.jpg
    Excellent info. Thanks. Nice fish by the way. What was the weight on it?

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Not sure of the weight---more than 5..........less than 50.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Not sure of the weight---more than 5..........less than 50.....
    LOL. Now theres an exact science.

How do ya'll set up bait down there? Do you sink it with a spin and glo? Light enough weight so that is slowly bounces down the river? Just looking for a little help as I have never fished down there before.

Thanks again.

well it depends on if you are fishing from a boat or the bank. If your in a boat you can use eggs (when it opens) with SNG, or kwikfish and use fish wraps and in july you might need a diver. From the bank you could do the same but a side plainner would help out a lot in a not so crowded area. Other wise the easiest way would be to soak eggs with some sinkers and SNG's. Remember it is single hook only there until Aug so if you buy pre made rigs you need to cut off one of the hooks. You don't have to clip the hole thing just enough so you can't catch any thing with it.

Thanks. We are bank fishing/wading in the shallow spots. A side planer seems like a lot of work but I do have a good set of SNG and a few good wiggle warts. I did read up on the regs for that area but I'm gonna check them again tomorrow before I leave on Saturday morning.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

well make sure you do because they regs are tricky at best some times. I might see you down there, I am fishing the upper on sat.

Is the upper past the lake or just above a certain campground. I'm not familiar with what constitutes upper and lower.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast