Thread: What rod ?

Default What rod ?

Just picked up 4 Penn GLD 30 reels, What rods do I need ? I see some with all rollers some with just a tip roller. Also see some that say 50-80# or #80-100 is that line strength max on them ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Honestly I see no reason for rollers on rods in Alaska. It's not like you're fighting a marlin for hours that will make screaming runs. A good set of ceramic guides is perfect for braided line. Line rating for a rod IMHO really means nothing, it is more what the rod is classed as i.e. how it flexes, but you can use a rod rated for 130-200# line with 80# line just fine, it comes down to how stiff of a rod you want based on how heavy your sinkers are.

Personally I've moved away from the "tuna sticks" and have gone to lighter rods, you'd be amazed how trimming some weight from the rod allows you to fish all day and not get worn out from fighting your tackle.

You might want to consider getting two bait rods and two jigging rods.

The best advice I could give is go to B&J commercial, ask for Tom or Fonz, give them your buget and they'll stear you straight on what will work well for your application and their experience with the various rods, both good and bad.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Thanks for the info

I haven't used your reel on them, but we're really fond of the Okuma Cedros Speed Jig CJAH-C-561XH. They're very light in the hand but incredibly powerful and sensitive, whether for bait fishing or jigs. You can jig all day and they won't tire you out. A bunch of the charter boats around here have gone to them for halibut because they're great fun with the small fish but plenty stout for the big ones.

Ditto on the jigging rods...the Cedros is my go-to.
    BTW...Tom isn`t at B&J`s anymore...Has moved to AK Raft.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Whatever you get you will want to stay away from anything with rollers if you plan to use spider wire or similar line. I worked and ran charter boats for years and we went to all ceramic eyes because the thinner stronger line will actually cut the steel rollers in half over time

None of my halibut gear has level wind reels or roller guides, don't need them and it is one less thing to cause an issue. Almost every one fishing salt water in South Central uses one of the spectra lines. Most halibut fishing consists of the pump up and reel down technique for bringing a fish in. Spectra line travels through ceramic guides very easily. I have only heard good things about the rods Brown Bear mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Almost every one fishing salt water in South Central uses one of the spectra lines.
    Since you brought it up,Being new to halibut gear what brand line are you guys using and what pound test?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Since you brought it up,Being new to halibut gear what brand line are you guys using and what pound test?
    I personally use 80lb Gudebroad dacron for backing and 65lb PowerPro on my reels. If you don't want to hit both lines on your reel, then I would grab 80 PowerPro. Main reason as you can pack a LOT more 65 on there than 80. You don't need 700+ yards of line for halibut/bottom fishing most of the time up here. I bought a spool of 65, hence why I'm using dacron backing. Some folks use plain dacron as well. My buddies use 100 power pro on their butt reels. I like the less line resistance from the 65lb in deeper runs. Allows me to use less weight to get to the bottom.

Good luck!

I use 80# Powerpro without any backing. That puts close to 300 yards on my reels. I had problems with tangles on 50#, so skipped the 65#. Now you have me wondering!

I am running Penn VS3080RS56 rods with 80# Tuffline XP on them.
    The rods are rated for 80# line and are 5'6" in length. These rods are more limber then the old style stiff rods.
    The Tuffline is very strong and very thin so it has less drag in the current.
    I have penn 340 reels on the rods.
    I like this setup and these combos have worked great on fish up to 100# or so. Havent had any on any bigger with these rods but we are still trying.
    My rods have tip and stripper rollers and the reels have levelwinds. None of these have failed me in the 4 years or so of use but then again I don't fish as much as a guide boat does. I like a levelwind especially since I often have people like my mom or fiancee on board who know next to nothing about using a halibut fishing reel.
    I have had people from 5 years old to 55 years old fish on my boat and none have ever had trouble bringing up halibut with these combos on my boat. I had the 5 year old fishing with the rod in the rod holder and he just cranked up the halibut ( 35# was his bigest) no problem.
    I get my reels serviced at Tags in Ninilchik and I highly recommend his service for repair and seasonal maintance.
    I had him service some reels this spring and repair another one and was very pleased with the service and price.
    $25 for annual cleaning and lube on my Penn 340gti's.
    He is also an authorized Penn warranty center so you know it is done right and has parts on hand for most Penn reels and some other brands.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"