Thread: Grizzly hide condition in July?

Default Grizzly hide condition in July?

I am wondering as to the hide condition in mid July on a Talkeetna Mt. area grizz? How much shorter will the hide be as compared to fall and spring? Will any rubs have grown back by July?
    Thanks for your replies.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    I am wondering as to the hide condition in mid July on a Talkeetna Mt. area grizz? How much shorter will the hide be as compared to fall and spring? Will any rubs have grown back by July?
    Thanks for your replies.
    I would think a mid summer hide would be pretty short and patchy, although there's always a chance of finding a bear that doesn't look too bad. It all depends on your expectations, but don't plan on finding anything even close to prime.

Bear hide/pelt conditions in July are as short as they will be all year.
    All the "old" hair from the previous year will be gone, and the new hair for the upcoming winter is just starting to grow in.

But, if it is the only bear rug hanging in your residence in MN, then it will still be the best bear rug in the house.
    Very generally speaking, bear pelts begin to get alot better, more "prime", by early september.

Thanks guys. I was leaning that way too, just wanted to read it from those who know about such things.

young females may still have pretty good hides on them.....plus smaller rugs are cheaper
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default hide

Summer2008 bear 036 (Small).jpgHere,s one in first half of June,Imgine would go down hill from there.
    However the Tax. Did a good job, neck mount with front paws fore arms looking like there coming out of the wall.

The hair will be short, but won't be patchy like a rubbed spring bear. PM BRNWBR on here as he has some photo's of July bears.