Thread: Best casting rod for late run reds on the Kenai

Default Best casting rod for late run reds on the Kenai

Can anyone tell me what is the best casting rod for fishing late run reds on the Kenai? Flip and drift method with bare hook and drift yarn. Also I'll be using 30LB test mono on an Abu Garcia Ambassduer reel.

Thanks in advance for any advise

Quote Originally Posted by iceracer View Post
    Can anyone tell me what is the best casting rod for fishing late run reds on the Kenai? Flip and drift method with bare hook and drift yarn. Also I'll be using 30LB test mono on an Abu Garcia Ambassduer reel.

depends on how much you want to spend.............gloomis makes good rods, wright & mcgill, lamiglass, or ugly stick. 30lb is why to much, wouldn't run any thing more then 25. I prefer 20 myself.

Trustworthy's in Soldotna has 9' Ugly Stick bait casting rod for $49.99 and Berkley rods for $67.00 when I was there Tuesday. Fred Meyers has alot of rods and rod-reel combo's also

Just get a uglystik. Their bulletproof
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

The late run fish are most certainly bigger, so you'll want something with some backbone. That river is fast and deep at times.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I have an eagle claw steel/salmon rod that I got several years ago the works like a charm, but I agree on uglysticks and the sort at and under that $50 clam mark. Heck I have that $9 8'6" rod from walmart / soldotna trust worthy and caught plenty of fish on it. I have no doubt the fancy rods (loomis/lamiglass) are good rods, but I've seen just as many of those snap in half as the cheap ones {user error}. You might get a better warranty out of a nice rod, but many, such as ugly sticks or rods from Cabela's will back their products too and not hurt the pocket that much.

I bought a Lamiglas MBC 86H from Trusty's in Soldotna last year for $59. It was obviously on sale because I bought it to replace the one I broke (my own fault, not the rod) which was about $90 at SWH. It's a good rod and I use it for all salmon fishing to include kings. Just keep the 30 lb mono on the reel and attach a lighter leader with a swivel. I would normally tell you that you get what you pay for, but JediMasterSalmonSlayer recently blew that theory out of the water.

All great thanks for the advice

Lami G1000 series.... Medium Heavy or Kenai Special.

You will NOT be disappointed.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

berkley IM7. It's cheap and durable. A little on the heavy side, but I've caught more fish on this rod than any other rods I've had, including a couple of custom rods I've built.

I have decided on a Lamiglas G 1314-T Kenai Special. Thanks again for all the advice and good luck!!!

This pole is a great value, priced right: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/100179-VIDEO-How-to-catch-a-sockeye-salmon-using-quot-Stick-amp-String-quot-method-2011

I
    like to flip with a fly pole. A 9 footer. Once you have your line out you don't need to cast or reel so as long as you have enough line on the reel you can flip all day. I find the longer pole is less effort to stand and flip with all day.

There is a guy that has this amazing long custom built spinning pole that I've seen on the upper kenai a few times. He has a lot of line out and seems to catch many more fish than most other people working the same area. And he has about twice the amount of line out than everyone else, which may explain his success.

I have decided on a Lamiglas G 1314-T Kenai Special. Thanks again for all the advice and good luck!!!
    Excellent choice!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD