Thread: Shipping firearms

Default Shipping firearms

I just wanted to put a notice "out there" regarding shipping reliability and FEDEX - I will no doubt receive some hate mail or rebuttals to this but FEDEX has screwed up enough shipments, firearms and otherwise, for me in the past 6 years that not only will I personally drive an item to the destination before I use FEDEX again but I want everyone I can "touch" to know how utterly arbitrary and incompetent FEDEX is - I understand that UPS is heavily ladened with policy and USPS service is sporadic but I have NEVER, NEVER had the "bureaucratic" treatment and incompetency that I have experienced from FEDEX so MY advice (for what it is worth) is DON'T USE FEDEX

I have used USPS with no problems. Always the lowest cost as well.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Handguns and air pistols are a problem for non FFL holders with USPS.

"we" gun people do have a dillemna to deal with for sure - I am sure there are fedex "contractors" who are reliable but will you be lucky enough to find a "chain" of them for you firearm shipment ? UPS will ship all handguns "next day air" as policy but you can "navigate around" the technical rule of FFL by telling them it is bound for repair or service and it stops there as far as paperwork (for now) Nobody will ever know if it gets sent back and UPS is absolutely reliable - usps does not ask what is being sent unless you want to insure it, I have not had a problem since I began purchasing delivery confirmation when I ship something

I have been very lucky with both USPS and FedeX . I have probably shipped air rifles and firearms 25 times back and forth to the lower 48 and never had any issues. Pack them for an air drop, and no worries. I did have an air rifle to CA take three weeks via priority mail once, but besides that never any issues.

UPS is useless to me here in AK, unless it is coming "free super saver shipping" via amazon.com I don't EVER use them. They are ridiculous as far as price goes.

Did something happen? or did you just have to deal with with someone special?

Just be aware of some of the 'ADVICE' in this thread. Although USPS may not ask questions, if you ship a handgun through them (as a non-FFL holder) and are caught, then be prepared for a fun time chasing soap around a not too friendly shower room!
    I am lucky with FEDEX, my local drop-off is also the main gun dealer here, so they know and abide by the rules. Handguns in-state to a non-FFL, no problem.

I agree on "free advice" - IMO what has happened with the shipping of guns is that companies like UPS have left the company "policy" ambiguous enough to allow some interpretation without having to actually stand and take the heat for it - at the UPS STORES they will not accept a package that has the word "gun" on the description, not parts, not accessories that say "gun" - UPS is not "perfect" in my eyes at all BUT I have moved around alot and without exception the UPS drivers that drop at my 11 or 12 addresses in the past 6 years have been outstanding to a fault, they get to know you and do little favors at the drop of a dime - I am a contractor who has always adamantly refused to become one of the excessive chargers but I believe in being paid for my time and efforts, there will always be a perspective customer who feels I am charging too high a price (until I tell them to check around to compare the SAME thing I am offering) my point is that UPS is more expensive thank you to the teamsters and the UPS grandchildren who like to fly their jets EVERYWHERE but when I am shipping a firearm that I have paid good money for or been paid good $$ for, an additional 15% give or take is well worth the peace of mind (and as a side note that may very well be why the UPS drivers are so easy to get along with - I have had usps take over 30 days to deliver a package (correct ! 33 days!) and that one caused me sleepless nights and to endure accusations of fraud & I have had fedex lean firearm boxes (obvious ones) against the door jamb of my entrance when I didn't answer the door - Fedex is run my independant contractors who buy their routes so there is no company policy to be enforced because fedex management DON'T CARE ! I have been through it with 'em ..... I'LL PAY UPS PRICES THANK YOU! Alaska does present some unique challenges and the farther into the "bush" the more challenging they are I am sure but we should remember that for each added benefit of NOT living in a city or liberal "bastion" there will always be a "downside" whether we grouse about it or not - The "American Way" is to figure out a solution, often requiring ingenuity, and GET 'ER DONE ... and then ... quit yer complainin' ! I was just offering some experienced advice for free

Hanguns and USPS

Concur don't do it, not worth the risk. Follow the rules.

Ditto for ammo and USPS, and is hazmat, which has additional risks.

This thread still here after a day? Wow. Mods must all be out hunting. I would think it would have been deleted within twenty minutes or less.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Why in the world would mods delete this thread in twenty minutes?

No one is even remotely suggesting doing anything illegal or immoral. The fact is that we live in Alaska and 99 times out of 100 you will save enough money to justify buying out of state paying shipping and FFL fees. Which then brings us to the totally legitimate topic of shipping guns. It is a fact of life up here that's for sure. Every now and again a good deal pops up locally but for the most part I am waiting for delivery to my FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I just wanted to put a notice "out there" regarding shipping reliability and FEDEX - I will no doubt receive some hate mail or rebuttals to this but FEDEX has screwed up enough shipments, firearms and otherwise, for me in the past 6 years that not only will I personally drive an item to the destination before I use FEDEX again but I want everyone I can "touch" to know how utterly arbitrary and incompetent FEDEX is - I understand that UPS is heavily ladened with policy and USPS service is sporadic but I have NEVER, NEVER had the "bureaucratic" treatment and incompetency that I have experienced from FEDEX so MY advice (for what it is worth) is DON'T USE FEDEX
    My 2 cents. Shipped three handguns through the Eagle River FedEx office a few weeks ago. Next day air of course, as required, and insured for replacement value. Total was $115. Service was fantastic, no weird looks or suspicious questions. Came away very happy. Package arrived on time and in tact. Disclaimer: Past experience does not guarantee future results :-)

Quote Originally Posted by AKmik View Post
    Why in the world would mods delete this thread in twenty minutes?

No one is even remotely suggesting doing anything illegal or immoral. The fact is that we live in Alaska and 99 times out of 100 you will save enough money to justify buying out of state paying shipping and FFL fees. Which then brings us to the totally legitimate topic of shipping guns. It is a fact of life up here that's for sure. Every now and again a good deal pops up locally but for the most part I am waiting for delivery to my FFL.
    Because the original post was a slam on a business that didn’t include a specific complaint or problem (“screwed up enough shipments” is not specific) and so was in violation of forum rules. We are not supposed to bad mouth a business here other than in a “this is what happened to me” kind of way.

In other words saying:
    Saying (“X” shipping lost my gun and when I talked to them they said/did this) could be acceptable.
    Saying (I hate “X” shipping because they are a bunch of incompetent boobs) would not be acceptable.
    The first way is what happened to you and what actually happened . . . useful, informative, factual information. The second way is a slam or “slander” with no real useful or informative information.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Because the original post was a slam on a business that didn’t include a specific complaint or problem (“screwed up enough shipments” is not specific) and so was in violation of forum rules. We are not supposed to bad mouth a business here other than in a “this is what happened to me” kind of way.
    Ahhh, gotcha. That makes sense.

guess I'm remiss in my rant so I take it alllllll back ... ship any way, any how and with anyone ONE you want to ...

I'll still never trust f#%&*x with another item !!

Not intended to tick you off or say that you don’t have a valid complaint with FedEx, I have never used them so have no clue. Only explaining why the post is a rule violation and I only know about that rule because it was explained to me after I broke it myself.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    I'll still never trust f#%&*x with another item !!
    Might consider a different tone on this... such as "Hey, anyone have any recommendations for shipping firearms, I recently had a terrible experience with fed ex when I received XXXXX damaged or XXXXX was lost en route."

Just a thought.