Thread: Boating and fishing out of Seward - what to expect

Default Boating and fishing out of Seward - what to expect

Thus far I've been out of Whittier and Homer. I am going out of Seward for the first time in a few week and am looking to know what the experience might be like. Long runs for fishing? Harbor a confusing mess or pretty easy? Looking for times, suggestions, etc. thanks!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

With the exception of the longer drive from Anchorage, most everything is better. Cheaper and closer parking, cheaper launch fees, shorter runs to get to the fish. One thing to watch for is the return trip to the harbor in the afternoon almost always has a pretty good chop coming from the south with pretty narrow troughs. Take your time and have fun.

You'll probably never want go through the Whittier goat roap again, You'll be launched, parked and on the water in 5 minutes. The harbor is a straight shot out.

The biggest difference I've found is the rollers. With PWS or K-bay, you either have flat water or chop. With Resserection bay, you almost always have rollers from about Calisto head on out. I actually kind of enjoy running the rollers, but you might find people that aren't normally susceptable to being see sick get quizy when the boat is slowly rolling to and fro when fishing.

Most of my fishing has been either PWS or Resserection Bay, and Resserection Bay has generally resulted in better fishing, and fish closer to port. But, the water isn't as protected and there really are few places to hide once it gets rough. Not to mention to the combination of tides and an afternoon chop can make getting back into the bay a more extreme deal than you'll face out in PWS.

I don't know what your definition of a long run is. If I can get in more hours of fishing than hours running the boat in a day, it's not a long run, but I have no qualms about running 100+nm round trip in a day.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'd like to be able to get into something within two hours from the harbor, ideas, options?

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    I'd like to be able to get into something within two hours from the harbor, ideas, options?
    Whats your cruising speed?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Chevalle Narrows is ~ 1 1/2 hours from port running 22knots, and mid July to mid August the silver fishing will be great. You might want to drop a jig to the bottom between runs of silvers as I've pulled up cod and rockfish. Which would lead me to believe you could pull up a halibut. If you're comfortable taking your bout out of the bay, Aialik Cape can produce some nice rockfish and lingcod, there are supposed to be some good spots for halibut but I haven't had any luck there.

Oh, the other thing to be aware of is the limits on fish, it's different inside and outside of the bay, you can only keep lingcod outside the bay, and if you keep a ling you took outside of the bay, you can't do any fishing when you've re-entered the bay.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

My cruising speed is 24-27 kts...

Leave early and stay late. As mentioned earlier the bay is most all ways choppy in the afternoons with the wind out of the south. Most mornings before seven am the bay is glass. Either way east or west once out of the bay can be completely different weather. Going east if there are rollers in Elderado Narrows use caution rounding the cape. The east side of Day Harbor is one big sand bar, lots of Halibut fishing there. Going west seldom flat rounding Ailiak Cape, different scenery going that way, shrimping if you do that, halibut can be found in places like Hub Rock and Granite Island. If you venture as far as Granite Island check out Taz Basin, there is a opening at the back of the cove that leads to another cove neat to overnight in.

Watch the weather, explore, have fun and if you have time catch some fish.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Everyone has provided excellent information on fishing.. Have fished this for years and will not ever fish out of the Whittier thing agian, usally long runs..
    Try the south side of all the islands for Rock Fish. Marys Cove for Cod and halibut as well..on north winds or no wind days. Pony Cove has great Silver fishing as already mentioned in July through late August. Cains head to this point will have silvers..just follow and look for the boats trolling etc. Ruggad Island has great rock fish..have some grids for that if interested..awesome red snapper and black bass spots. Huge lincod will hit your lures while jigging..but cant keep them..regardless great fight. Day Harbor and Johnsons Bay are great areas for Silvers as well. Be careful when rounding the Cape..it can get rough out there quick and if you get caught out there on a South wind in Johnsons Bay etc..you are in for a rough ride back to cover.

We have caught huge halibut in Thumbs cove and nice rockfish..look for pinnacles and you will find the rockfish. Drop offs to flats provide halibut if the tide is right. Enjoy...

Some will start trolling for kings and silvers right out of the harbor...up and around lowells point to Cains Head..watch the bottom it gets shallow in there is you are dragging downriggers around lowells point.

As someone else mentioned...you will be fishing in mins compaired to Whittier..enjoy. See you on the water,

Tight lines
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Tried to PM ya for those grids out by Rugged DH but your inbox is full :-(

sent you a PM. Have them soon.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Thanks for all the help everyone! I'm looking forward to getting down there!