Thread: where to look for a suitable hide around this time of year

Default where to look for a suitable hide around this time of year

So talking to a few buddies who are still trying to get their 1st bear this year and was curious as to where one would look to find a bear with a minimal rub hide and meat that is still worth saving.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

The meat will be fine unless they get on the fish, with it as warm as it has been the best choice would be to head as far north as possible.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    The meat will be fine unless they get on the fish, with it as warm as it has been the best choice would be to head as far north as possible.

Good Luck

Steve
    I don't know about that Steve. I am about as far North as you can get at it's 60 deg f in Prudhoe Bay :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NhraFox View Post
    So talking to a few buddies who are still trying to get their 1st bear this year and was curious as to where one would look to find a bear with a minimal rub hide and meat that is still worth saving.
    Don't know if I can help or not but sent you an email anyways.

It's getting to be that time of year for wrapping up bear hunting, at least if you're looking for good hides..... just got my 6'5" bear rug back last night from a bear I killed in PWS last year, May 18, and he was starting to rub just a bit underneath...
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

A buddy killed one off my bait 2 nights ago and the hide is thick and perfect. Cantwell area...

I got a blackie yesterday north of talkeetna. Hide is perfect.

A week ago I was at a local tanner and made a comment about how nice one of the incoming bear hides was. He mentioned that this time of year was tough, because sometimes you get a bear in that has not rubbed much of it's hair off and it looks like a really nice hide until you comb it out. He mentioned that it makes it tough on them, because there really isn't anything they can do about it and when that happens a client will sometimes think it was the tanning process.
    His words not mine, but they made sense to me. Happens every time I comb my dog this time of year too!

yah I heard the same thing Cusackla, I myself am still hunting to fill the freezer as my last blackie is nearly gone already (for the past 3 weeks nearly we have had bear every night except 2 and my kids cant get enough of it). I really hope to get onto another blackie before the season is over .

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

yah I heard the same thing Cusackla, I myself am still hunting to fill the freezer as my last blackie is nearly gone already (for the past 3 weeks nearly we have had bear every night except 2 and my kids cant get enough of it). I really hope to get onto another blackie before the season is over .
    You can have my meat I have no desire to mess with it I had nothing but burger made... I pick it up tomorrow

I will def take you up on that offer 323... kids driving me crazy she wants daddy to cook her some salmon and a bear burger LOL. we are hoping to flop 1 more before the season ender this weekend. Operation stock the freezer is now in the phase 2 portion with salmon season in force.

I will def take you up on that offer 323... kids driving me crazy she wants daddy to cook her some salmon and a bear burger LOL. we are hoping to flop 1 more before the season ender this weekend. Operation stock the freezer is now in the phase 2 portion with salmon season in force.
    You need to face south son towards the Kenai, for fish... Thats where the fish are at... Don't mess around Ship creek, 3 of us went down took theford focus proud to say 41.5 mpg down and back hell yeah...

We saw a variety of coats on Sunday, Father's Day. Some were scraggly, one had a brownish dead looking undercoat w/ solid guard hairs, and several looked shiny and black all the way through. I watched them w/ my Zeiss binocs at 17 yards just to pick up every detail.
    ARR

Our group took 3 last night. All still absolutly beautiful hides. A 15 year old took a 6'6", I took a 5',2" and my buddy 5 miles up the road took a 5',8" with a white chest. Awesome night and VERY tired today..

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Our group took 3 last night. All still absolutly beautiful hides. A 15 year old took a 6'6", I took a 5',2" and my buddy 5 miles up the road took a 5',8" with a white chest. Awesome night and VERY tired today..
    Wow congrats! thats quite a bit of bears to deal with in a night, much needed rest lol.
    I pulled my bait out almost two weeks ago, wasn't seeing many other shooter bears. In my experience(not much lol) the hides in my area 16a were hit and miss this time of the year, with most being rubbed.

Yeah, got home at 3:30am and back to work by 6:45am. I am happy for the 15 year old as he is a great kid and really deserves his nice trophy. I ended up popping one on the hike in after hearing his shots. Seems that just last week the bears really started to show up good.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    You need to face south son towards the Kenai, for fish... Thats where the fish are at... Don't mess around Ship creek, 3 of us went down took theford focus proud to say 41.5 mpg down and back hell yeah...
    YAH John, I am 1 for 2 on ship right now. Lost a nice 20# 2 days ago and landed a nice jack that tasted great. Will be heading back down tonight to try and bang another king out.