Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geodes

Default Geodes

Have any geodes been found in Alaska? I've been looking for information, but all I can find is for every other state that has volcanoes. Have any of you ever found any while rock hunting/prospecting and if so where?
    Chris Willhoite

Default Yukon

Heard of a friend who went up the Yukon via several boats for moose, came back with 500+ lbs of rocks, geodes in theory. Never saw them but his wife was passing on the story of his hunting success.

Default No Name Creek

A friend of mine has a slice off of a large one he drug out of the Talkeetna Range while sheep hunting. It has to be as large as a basketball. I will get more detailed information from him and get back to you.

Default I've found them...

in a creek that empties into Totem Bay on Kupreanof Is. Some the size of basketballs! Pretty cool once I figured out what they where.

Yes, actually found some in Denali while doing some mapping. Combination of quartz and calcite. Beautiful euhedral crystals too, pink calcite. Found it in some talus below a bunch of volcanics.

Those in Denali will probably be the eaisest for me to get to. I might try the Talkeetna Range if I can get out there as well. Thank you.
    Chris Willhoite

Can someone here post a pic of these geodes,so I no what the heck they look like.Thanks...

Default sheep mountain

We picked up an Alaska mineral prospecting guide at one of the rock stores here in Anchorage and it indicates that there are geodes at Sheep Mountain. My 7 year old in total fascinated with minerals and geodes in particular and would love to find some.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    Can someone here post a pic of these geodes,so I no what the heck they look like.Thanks...
    They don't look like much on the outside. Roughly spherical. You've gotta crack them open before you know they are anything special. Start cracking rocks. If you have to take more than 2 or 3 good whacks it's probably not a geode.

A drop saw or a good masonry saw is better to cut them open with. That way you get an even cut that is easier to polish and it preserves more of the geode.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geode

Some decent pictures of cut geodes here.
    Chris Willhoite

I'm a geologist and not a rock collector. I tend to smash every cool rock I come across. A saw would definitely be a better idea for a nicer looking geodes.

Warning: If you have a rock you want identified and not smashed, tell the geologist not to smash it before you give it to them. (It's half the fun)

And if you're going to smash rocks, wear eye protection!

Bought an amethyst geodes about 4 inches diameter from the rock store for my Sonís birthday. Picked up a $15.00 4.5 inch masonry blade for my side arm grinder and cut it in half, turned out really nice.

Default Got a name for that creek

Ok, so the story goes that my friend and his hunting partner flew up the Talkeetna River to the Yellow Jacket river, then up the Yellow Jacket until they found glacial moraines they landed on. They hiked up the hillside to 1000' elevation from where they started, and found about 30 geodes and also some jasper. They did find the large geode, it weighed in at 61.2 pounds. That one they did not carry any more than necessary, they pretty much rolled it down to where the plane had landed. He had a corner sliced off at a rock shop, the corner was the diameter of a dinner plate, really nice after it was polished.

I heard quite a few years back that if you were to find a geode with water in it, you could sell it for BIG cash. Scientists would love to analyze the water, as it could be millions of years old. But of course, you don't know if they have water until you break them open. I haven't done any research on this topic, but I wonder what % of geodes have had water in them.
    "Wine can of their wits the wise beguile, Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile." - Homer, Odyssey

I used to pick them up one after another in a couple of creek beds back in Iowa when I was a teen. I just threw them into other rocks to smash them and looked for more. What a waste that was.

Since we're on this subject this site will fascinate most of you folks interested in rocks. Worlds largest crystals.

http://www.canyonsworldwide.com/crystals/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ripface View Post
    I heard quite a few years back that if you were to find a geode with water in it, you could sell it for BIG cash. Scientists would love to analyze the water, as it could be millions of years old. But of course, you don't know if they have water until you break them open. I haven't done any research on this topic, but I wonder what % of geodes have had water in them.
    All of them, they form in cavities from super-saturated solutions.

The water isn't terribly exciting. It's got whatever the crystals are made out of in it. Mostly carbonate or silica, they look pretty but are made out of common stuff.

Ok, so how does one identify a geode w/o breaking it. Everyone is telling stories about finding these neat rocks but how do you find one and tell it apart from other rocks? Being that they are hollow, are they lighter and is that a sign of a geode? Any tips would be appreciated.

look for big round rocks maybe? from the looks of the ones i have seen in the stores, they look kinda roundish.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Ok, so how does one identify a geode w/o breaking it. Everyone is telling stories about finding these neat rocks but how do you find one and tell it apart from other rocks? Being that they are hollow, are they lighter and is that a sign of a geode? Any tips would be appreciated.
    Where you find one there will be others. Once located collect a bunch of roundish rocks for the saw. That's how I find them anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast