Thread: Deep Creek / Ninilchik / Anywhere Questions? Please Help

Default Deep Creek / Ninilchik / Anywhere Questions? Please Help

I was trying to figure some stuff out about taking my boat out of deep creek/ninilchik, Whittier, Seward, etc...anywhere really to get some small halibut, rock fish, cod, anything!!! How big of a boat do you need to go out and where can you go? I have a 20 foot hewescraft sportsman with 32" sides. I really want to get out in the salt with it, but I just want to be comfortable wherever I go. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. Or if anyone knows where to go and wants to come along send me a p.m. Thanks

What size boat you needs comes down to the conditions, not the port. There are days where you could take your boat from Seward or Whittier all the way out to Montague Island (please don't!!!) and there are days where you wouldn't want to leave port.

I've been out of Whittier, Seward and Homer with my boat. Out of the three, I'd say Homer is probably the best bet for getting into some fish without having to run too far from port, but keep an eye out for the afternoon breeze as it'll kick up a 2-3' chop in no time. Later in the seaon when the silvers are close to port, I'd say check out Seward and Whittier. But the spots I've found I consistantly get into fish this time of year out of Whittier and Seward are IMHO too far out for a 20' skiff designed for rivers and lakes.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I second Homer!

Quote Originally Posted by ak_mathews View Post
    I was trying to figure some stuff out about taking my boat out of deep creek/ninilchik, Whittier, Seward, etc...anywhere really to get some small halibut, rock fish, cod, anything!!! How big of a boat do you need to go out and where can you go? I have a 20 foot hewescraft sportsman with 32" sides. I really want to get out in the salt with it, but I just want to be comfortable wherever I go. Any advice you could give would be much appreciated. Or if anyone knows where to go and wants to come along send me a p.m. Thanks
    I'd say Anchor Point or Deep Creek if you want to catch halibut and Kings. You can find halibut close to shore. Then you can also troll for Kings. A little scary if you have never tractor launched but there is a first time for everyone.

But Homer is probably the best spot for an "anything" that will bite trip. Just head out early. It seems like its almost guaranteed to kick up in the afternoon from my experience.