Thread: Line and Flies for Dollies & Bows first week of Aug (Russian River Area)

Default Line and Flies for Dollies & Bows first week of Aug (Russian River Area)

I will be fishing the Russian for Sockeye the first week of August and I would like to also try for rainbows and/or dollies in the area (hopefully after getting my limit of reds). Specifically for rainbows and dollies, would you suggest a floating, sinking, or sinking tip line? Would you use flesh flies and egg sucking leach flies or something else? Would you suggest the Russian river or should I go somewhere else for good trout fishing? I will be staying at the Russian River Campground and am doing it all DIY. Thanks for your help!

use floating line, at that time of year beads and flesh are your best bet.

Unfortunately, beads are not legal in the fly fishing only waters of the Russian river fishery until August 21. That area is from the marker 600 yards below the Russian river falls all the way down to the power lines on the Kenai river, down river from the Russian river ferry. In the reg book those are areas A, B and C. But there are other areas along the road that will give you access to the Kenai river and beads are going to be a hot ticket to hooking up. Enjoy your fishing trip here in Alaska. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    Unfortunately, beads are not legal in the fly fishing only waters of the Russian river fishery until August 21. That area is from the marker 600 yards below the Russian river falls all the way down to the power lines on the Kenai river, down river from the Russian river ferry. In the reg book those are areas A, B and C. But there are other areas along the road that will give you access to the Kenai river and beads are going to be a hot ticket to hooking up. Enjoy your fishing trip here in Alaska. Tight lines.
    good point to keep in mind, beads are not ok to use in FFOW!

first week in august usually brings good PMD hatches some caddis, BWOs and if you are lucky the green and brown drakes will start popping. Obviously a floating line is best for fishing dries and nymphing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Uhhh, I am not sure what you just said.....good PMD hatches? some caddis?, BWOs? and if you are lucky the green and brown drakes will start popping? My fly fishing experience is limited to little trout is Colorado. I have been fishing for red fish and speckled trout on the texas coast from my kayak for the last 5 years, but I am just now getting back into fly fishing (just bought my 8 wt for the trip). Thanks to everyone for all the information. The links were great. I am rigged up with floating line now, but I wanted to make sure I didn't need a second spool with sinking tip. Man, I can't wait!

Default Confusing

Monkey mans got his hatches down!
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by T. Chris View Post
    Uhhh, I am not sure what you just said....

If I had a dollar for every time I read that

I would take my WF line and swing some leeches on 7' of 2x. If that didn't work, I would be drinking beer around a campfire.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Blue winged olive(BWO) and Pale morning duns(PMD) are mayflies. These are dry flies to use in size 12, 14 or 16. There are big hatches of dark caddis on the Kenai river also, use them is size 12 or 14. Get flesh flies in tan, beige, off white and combinations with orange/salmon color. The monkey answers in riddles and assumes that others that are new or learning the game will know what he is talking about. I thought that being on the Washington fly fishing forum, he would have learned better, but I guess not. He got lonely and came back to this forum with less wisdom. T Chris, feel free to PM me and I will answer and bring you up to speed. I have been fly fishing here in Alaska since 1977. Heading to the upper Kenai in the morning to float and have some fun. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but if you can swing it, get a 5 wt as well. That 8 wt will catch bows, but you'll have more fun on a lighter rod. Also, I have seen some big bows come out of the Russian on dolly llamas and sculpin patterns. One day I was nymphing and caught 15 rainbows, all in the 14-16 inch class. My buddy was swinging llamas under the cutbanks right next to me and consistently hit bigger fish. If you're coming up here, you might as well have all your bases covered. Finally, make sure you have plenty of beer. It goes down quick when the sun stays up!