Thread: Hunting in October/November

Default Hunting in October/November

Looking to see if anyone can provide any hunting trip ideas for late October/early November. Understand that there are Sitka deer available at that time, but anything else? It's the only time I'll be able to get off work this fall and was wondering what else was available. Thanks!

Bears, late season registration goat hunt possibly, birds of all sorts from geese to ptarmigan, rabbits, trapping, some night time predator calling/shooting. Check out the ADF & G regulations. Look at the area you live in and see whats in season.
    BK

Yep, a few years ago I considered big game hunting essentially done by end of September. Past few years after learning about more options/opportunities I have since then started hunting deer and goats that time of year. Both can be had on Kodiak just on a registration hunt. While not cheap exactly if going with a couple buddies and flying down on airline miles it really isn't that bad if splitting the air taxi costs 3-4 ways.

There is also some registration moose and caribou hunts that time of year, but luckily I haven't ever had to look into those too hard as I am usually tagged out so I am not familiar with those hunts at all.

It all depends on how much money you have to spend. It also depends on how long you can have to hunt. I would say the above nailed it for you.

Rabbits are prime. 'specially in october, the past couple years the snow has been late so them white rabbits on a floor of brown leaves makes it a little easier to get. if you do go after 'em, get some No 6 or No 5 shot. I've shot em with 7 1/2, and while I killed most, I did loose some too ( which was a pain, cause that was my present to my youth pastor) now I make my own loads, by cutting up spent 22 bullets, chop the rounded top off, and finish rounding it out a little with a pair of plyers, then cut the main shaft into 2 pieces (I use my leatherman, but any wire cutters work), and stack them neatly with some 7 1/2 shot as a buffer. I like to full it half way with these little plates, then stick the rest with 7 1/2, they actually stay together in a tight group pretty good out to 40 yards or so, enough to hit a rabbit. Then I label them with a perminant marker. I use smaller pellets for squirrels, or i'll make an inbetweener for all that good stuff. If you think you might see a fox or coyote, I usualy have one or 2 that is full 22 bullets ( I wait for the snow to melt in the spring and I have piles of them in the bank that I shoot at) sometimes I stick a couple fulll metal 223 bullets in there too if you have any old ones.

the bast part is I don't need a reloading kit, I simply uncrimp the end and dump out the shot(into a bag) pretty nifty. Good luck
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I've had my eye on some other hunts (caribou/moose) but with the cold and short daylight tend to hunt small game and predators. It may or may not help you this year, but there are hunting opportunities through the subsistence (Tier 1, Tier 2). And a pretty decent subsistence caribou season provided the F&G doesn't close the season early.

I start planning for next falls hunts (yr 2012) more than one year in advance. With the draw permit applications due in December, generally use this year to do the field reconnaissance for those permits. Are you looking for outfitted hunts and what are your resources (ATV's, boat, snow machines, plane). Perhaps deer hunting in PWS, southeast alaska, or Kodiak.

There are also hunting opportunities in the lower 48 that time of year.

I've done a couple of deer hunts on Kodiak in mid November and early December, and both were great hunts. The first one in November of '05 we killed 5 deer in 3 days of hunting, all nice bucks. The next year we learned the guides had hammered that area and the hunting wasn't quite as good as it was the year before, still killed deer though. Only saw one bear in all the area we hunted and camped in both years, so if you were contemplating doing a tent hunt I wouldn't go ape over bears.

Only advice I'd really give about doing a fly in hunt on Kodiak is figure out which bays the charter boats like to go hunt in...... because from Sept to December they'll be going in and out, in and out, looking for deer. So go somewhere else.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Just pull the regs out and see what critters are still open for hunting. I killed 5 animals last year in Oct/Nov.

Thanks to everyone for the great input. Any advice on possible wolf/predator hunting?

Spend some time reading through the predator hunting forum. There's lots of good threads in there about predator hunting that should get you started with some ideas.

I'm surprised no one has asked yet. AK is a big state, where are you located? I'm in SE, for me there's an early season alpine deer hunt in August, then i hang up the gear, fish cohos till halloween, and catch the black tail rut in november. And if I have time left I'll shoot some duck in Dec. Sometime I'll chase goats in Nov. or Dec. Wolf or predator hunting in SE is pretty opportunistic, you don't really hunt them, just sometimes you see one.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    I'm surprised no one has asked yet. AK is a big state, where are you located? I'm in SE, for me there's an early season alpine deer hunt in August, then i hang up the gear, fish cohos till halloween, and catch the black tail rut in november. And if I have time left I'll shoot some duck in Dec. Sometime I'll chase goats in Nov. or Dec. Wolf or predator hunting in SE is pretty opportunistic, you don't really hunt them, just sometimes you see one.
    - I'm in Eagle River, but willing to travel. thanks again.

I have hunted afognak twice that time of year and would certainly go again. Great place to explore oct/nov. Deer on harvest tickets elk by registration. Lot of fox there as well to make things interesting. Pm me if afognak is something you try to put together I'll help you get started with good infoCheers Jason