Thread: Any hikers in the Anchorage Area this July?

Default Any hikers in the Anchorage Area this July?

Hey,

I am going to be in Anchorage between the 16 and 23 of July after I complete some research near Nome. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for places to stay, or places to hike. I will be by myself, so a hiking partner would be preferable for any of those days. I am also looking for a family to stay with if that is possible. I have a low budget (typical of most university students), and I am open to anything. I appreciate your assistance!

Jon

If you want a close hike near Anchorage and want to do a two night trip, I recommend doing Crow Creek Pass. Start in Girdwood and end up at the Eagle River Nature Center. Its a awesome hike. You WILL see bears, sheep, moose and much wildlife, as well as a few glaciers, waterfalls, and tons of views for picture taking. You will have to ford Eagle River, so take a pair of old sturdy shoes. You shouldn't need snow shoes to cross the pass that time of year, but may hit a little snow up there. It wont be a long post-holing walk across the pass if there is still snow up there. Be careful though, there are a ton of black and brown bear in the area. Bring some type of protection along with you. I go with you, but I am TDY during that week. It is an awesome hike.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Hit me up with a PM at some point. I'd be happy to go hiking with you, at the very least. Have a good trip to Nome!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Shoedawg and GR, thank you for your replies! I will definitely take your advice! I am also looking for a place to stay, preferably a home-stay situation. I prefer to live with people rather than sitting alone in a hotel room. I am not very needy at all, could very well sleep in a tent in the backyard.