Thread: Best non-fiction Alaska Books

Default Best non-fiction Alaska Books

What are your favorite non-fiction books about Alaska? A couple of mine:

The Final Frontiersman, by James Campbell

Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod, by Gary Paulsen

(BTW I'm putting this post here because there is no "general" or "off topic" forum.)

I know this has been discussed before, and yeah I guess we don't have an Alaskana forum. These are some of my favorites:

One Man's Wilderness
    Trailbreakers Pioneering Alaskas Iditarod
    Alaska's Wolf Man, and I'd say anything written by Jim Rearden is worth reading.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I am with Paul, one mans wilderness is awesome, another favorite is Crossing the Gates of Alaska by Dave Metz. Not so much alaska but something everone with any sense of adventure should read is A Vagabond for Beauty about Everett Ruess this book literally changed my life and I think about it constantly.

Great Alaskan Books:

One Mans Wilderness

Both of Rick Rydell's funny and true stories about Alaska fishing and hunting: Stuff Happens in Alaska and Blood on the Tundra

Wager with the Wind: The Don Sheldon Story

Looking for Alaska by Peter Jenkins - Talks a lot about Alaska life from everyday people, highly recommend

Heres some non Alaskan recommended reading all are non-fiction:

Books by John Krauker: Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman
    Into the Wild
    Into Thin Air
    Eiger Dreams

The Last Season by Eric Blehm - story about a legendary park ranger who goes missing in the Sierra Mountains

A Walk Across America and the Walk West by Peter Jenkins - These two books are two parts about Jenkins backpacking adventures as he walks across America and meets diifferent people along the way

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson - about the author and his fat friend who walk the entire Appalachian Trail, very funny book

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston - read the book first before you watch the movie, the book has stories about his other adventures
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

How could i forget about peter jenkins! His audio book of Finding Alaska was awesome.

Another vote for Peter Jenkins. I didn't know anything about the book and think it was something I just picked up the airport book store to pass the time. Very enjoyable read.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Shadows on the Koyokuk, Sydney Huntington (I had the pleasure of meeting him about 17-18 years ago in Galena. An amazing man! loved to talk about his winter wolf trapping alone. As I recall he was in his mid-80's then!

If you like bow hunting, Bows on the Little Delta Charles St. Clair (Isn't all about Alaska but a good portion of it is!)

If you guys liked Peter Jenkins Looking for Alaska then you need to read his first two books. A Walk Across America and a Walk West. They are very hard to put down.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

James Michner's Alaska is a good one although it does drag a bit in places.
    I like bear and hunting books, so Game Trails, and Fair Chase by Charles Keim are both good; and Larry Kanuit's books are probably required Alaskan reading. Stephen Herrero's Bear Attacks; their causes and avoidance is probably a better book IMO. I read a book a while ago called Pinell and Tallifson; the last of the great bear men (sp?) which was good as well. Chris Batin's Hunting in Alaska is good as are Larry Bartlett and Tony Russ' books.
    I also enjoyed Looking for Alaska as well as If You Lived Here i'd Know your Name
    Wager with the Wind: The Don Sheldon Story
    and Glacier Pilot about Bob Reeves are good early aviation books.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Minus 148* by Art Davidson. One of my favorite books.

Arctic Village by Robert Marshall. A great look into the interior people. In my years hunting the upper Koyukuk I got to know
    several of the descendents of the people mentioned in the book.