Thread: The Russian River [Regluation Question]

Arrow The Russian River [Regluation Question]

So I am going to be going down to the Russian for my birthday on the 18th and I had a question or two. Since I like to check the regs a few days before I end up going so that I have all my ducks in a row so to speak.

When looking at the regs apparently they split the Russian River area into three sections (A/B/C)

If I am reading this correctly, I can take three sockeye from Section A per day... I have to skip section B (since it doesn't open until the 14th of July) and then I can take a second three from Section C. So that would mean I can take a total of six out of the entire area at one time? Or is it either section A or C and you can only keep a max of three total?

I rather just ask questions here than make assumptions and get in trouble on the river.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

You can only take 3 sockeye a day period. Even if you took 3 sockeye that day in a totally different system, you'd have to wait till after midnight and after your fish were frozen to fish the Russian.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Thanks for clarifying that for me!
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Unless you are doing a proxy and then the daily/possession limits still do apply. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

I'd like to add a question here. I get conflicting information regarding limits/possessions/etc. If I catch my limit of silvers and drive back to where I am staying and put them in the freezer, am I allowed to go back the same day and catch another limit?

firefightersteve,
    No. Your limit is just that for the day. If you freeze the fish to the correct point, you can catch a limit the next day and not be in violation of the possession rule. The correct point of freezing is so that "in 14 days, the fish will be fit for human consumption." In other words, if it is frozen SOLID (most camper freezers don't get cold enough to freeze solid enough in less than 24 hours) then in 14 days, left in it's CURRENT state, it would be able to be thawed, cooked and eaten without making someone sick. If you can them, they are preserved, this works good for camping.
    Personally, I would REALLY read the regulation book. If it doesn't make a total sense, look up the ADF&G definitions in the booklet, not someone else's definition. They aren't the one that will have to pay the fine if you are caught and, as they say, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

AK Chappy

Thanks AK_Chappy. Your response is what I have always believed and believe me, I will read up before I fish as I know how different the areas of Alaska can be. Just wish everybody would follow the rules and not be so hell bent on bending or breaking them.

You are welcome. I also get a little bent out of shape when people try hard to "bend" the rules. Sevaral on here gave another poster a hard time because they were honest. They misread the rule and when the Trooper asked them if they had one back at camp, they answered yes. More than one responded with "Duh, you never answer yes!" Well, I look at it as an Integrity thing. Do the right thing and you have no problems. Thanks for asking.

AK Chappy

Not gonna go political here as this is a 'fishing' forum but.........if everybody would suddenly wake up and start doing the "right thing" our national debt would go away virtually over night and our country would once again be a great place to live. Thanks again for your responses AK_Chappy.