Thread: Gaf-Hawk

Default Gaf-Hawk

Does anybody know who put the experimental down behind fort greely a couple weeks ago, FAA has it registered as a GAF-Hawk, looks like a 16 foot travel trailer with wings, over flew it a few days ago and must say pilot did a nice job of getting it in the tundra without destroying it!

Default It's Mine.

Had an engine failure, off field landing on Ft Greeley. Currently working on retrieval. Being a 1200 hp aircraft with a 72 foot span, it is a bit more complicated to get back off the tundra than the average Cessna.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddplanes View Post
    Had an engine failure, off field landing on Ft Greeley. Currently working on retrieval. Being a 1200 hp aircraft with a 72 foot span, it is a bit more complicated to get back off the tundra than the average Cessna.
    Is this the plane? http://www.oldwings.nl/content/gafhawk/gafhawk.htm
    If it is, then I'd be interested in learning more details about it. Looks like the radial is a development from what is used on old soviet An-2's.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by russiarulez View Post
    Is this the plane? http://www.oldwings.nl/content/gafhawk/gafhawk.htm
    If it is, then I'd be interested in learning more details about it. Looks like the radial is a development from what is used on old soviet An-2's.
    Yes, I remember this airplane very well. I was very little, maybe 7 years old at the time, but I do remember. My father, Larry Stewart (who died from suicide in 1993) was the co-designer and head engineer of the plane. This has a lot of memories, because he felt the project was his ticket to success. It could have, if the plane succeeded. He was never the same after the project died.

Anyway, yeah, the plane was built in this little airport in Yucca Valley which is now a moving company. Most of the employees I remember working on it are by and large dead. It is surreal to go there and see the place once filled with so many hopes and dreams gone. The many hours poring over blueprints, the wheeling/dealing, dinners, and long hours at the hangar was a great source of fun for me and my brother. I would not know what really happened to that project until 15 years or so later. Again, surreal.

Anyway, the biggest memory was the test flight. My dad was so proud of that day. As he should have. Lots of work went into that, and everything he ever worked and hoped for went into that day. It was a beautiful sight seeing that thing go in the air and feeling so proud my daddy was flying it. Not long after, he came home crying he was laid off.

Now it is just a faded memory.

A very disheartening tale of fighting Big Brother.

I dont understand the comment by grizzley? \/

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I dont understand the comment by grizzley? \/
    That may be because you didn't read the link telling of all the government stumbling blocks to the plane's certification process.