Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any "Negatives" to the Kimber Montana rifles......?

Default Any "Negatives" to the Kimber Montana rifles......?

Are there any short comings or recurring issues/problems with the Kimber Montana rifles.......?

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Are there any short comings or recurring issues/problems with the Kimber Montana rifles.......?

Yeah, they aren't lever action Guide Guns....

<grin>

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I posted this last year to a similar question I think but its still up on their site. Take it for what its worth. I have no opinion on the Kimbers but I have a custom LH 325WSM from Hill Country Rifles and they do fantastic work. There isn't anything I would change about my rifle and it is accurate. Not interested in getting in to a debate on HCR or their statement paraphrased below. Just posting since you asked and it might mean something to you one way or another.

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com/pages/accurizing

"Due to inconsistent results, we no longer service Kimber rifles. This is not intended as a negative statement about Kimber products. It is merely a decision based on the inconsistent results our Accurizing service has on these rifles."

I have heard nothing but good about the new ones but I would be nervous buying used as they put out some lemons a few years back. I REALY want one of the new 84L's in 280AI!!!!!!!

I have a .325wsm that shoots great. I helped my friend load for his .338wm and it shoots great. I just placed an order for a lady friend's 7mm-08. I happen to think the Montanas are the finest factory rifles for Alaskan hunting in production today! Just my 2 cents.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have heard nothing but good about the new ones but I would be nervous buying used as they put out some lemons a few years back. I REALY want one of the new 84L's in 280AI!!!!!!!
    I'm waiting on the Montana version myself. Hopefully have one in my hands before August rolls around. And if it likes 120-grain Barnes TTSX bullets, I'll be even happier...

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    I have a .325wsm that shoots great. I helped my friend load for his .338wm and it shoots great. I just placed an order for a lady friend's 7mm-08. I happen to think the Montanas are the finest factory rifles for Alaskan hunting in production today! Just my 2 cents.

Brett
    Ditto. Mine feeds great, shoots great. Knowing less about hunting/rifles, I took my .325WSM, which I bought from a Forums member, to a gunsmith for a look-over, who pretty much echoed Brett's words, that Kimbers are as good as a rifle gets short of custom. I feel fortunate to get a good one. I have really enjoyed it.

I got a true lemon. After dealing with kimber's lousy customer service, I would never consider buying another.

I've had several Kimbers that performed very well.

That new 84L Montana is on the short list for my next rifle- probably in 280AI if the line to get one isn't too long and the 84M in .257 Bob is pretty interesting too.

Quote Originally Posted by seant View Post
    I got a true lemon. After dealing with kimber's lousy customer service, I would never consider buying another.
    I'd be interested to hear the exact model, make, and cartridge. Thanks.

Brett

I've had my Kimber for almost 2 years and it has been on a couple goat hunts, a sheep hunt, and several moose hunts, and a couple caribou hunts. Its also light enough that I carry it with me when summer hiking/half hearted bear hunting like I did 2 days ago when camping out on Kesugi Ridge. Great little rifles for the $$$ IMO so long as you don't get stuck with the lemons that I have heard about. I know Hunt_AK would own one right now for sure if it hadn't been for the fact that they don't make a LH model.

I and my son last year bought 325 WSM Montana's and they are great shootin' great functionin' great handlin' great lookin' rifles for ANY money and I will challenge anyone to set one beside a hill country, bansner or montana rifle co. rifle and throw stones at the Kimber - the inletting is good and they work smoothly, if one doesn't feel well just take it down and "polish" the bumps from the underside of the feed ramp ... problem fixed - Kimber had some issues in the beginning that, even though you will hear otherwise< they worked hard to correct and now have as good and friendly a customer service as can be found and certainly a world better than browning or remington ! I have 2 308 Montana's that shoot sub MOA with numerous loads and function flawlessly - If I had one criticism it would be the "complicated" trigger which looks like a rem 700 clone that is built better (I just do not like complicated triggers) but they function better than any factory 700 trigger found - they send them out with 8/40 scope mount holes too, find THAT in another "custom" - I think also that the larger &#37; of complaints about the earlier ones were about the stocks which was solved long, long ago - go ahead and fing a comparable for twice the $$ (forgot to mention my 270 WSM, 338 win mag & 7mm/08 Montana's)

I would love to have a good one. The one I bought would not feed and this is how I got it back from Kimber. They gouged out the rails polishing the feed ramp.

I would still buy one, but only if I could shot it first.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

wow stid ! that is pretty hard to refute, I would not be a fan of ANY company that treated me that way - F Y I - the "normal" feeding issues stem from the "bumps" on the underside of the ramp (that don't show) Given Kimber's business success with the 1911's I am astounded that they would let a SLING out of their door in less than perfect condition - I don't know when this travesty occurred but Ann Bruns at ann@kimberamerica.com took care of my lesser customer service issues in a manner I would have expected so you might let her know your complaints and see where it goes ...

for MY money AND time spent I am now switching to New Haven model 70's and "customizing" as needed - not terribly heavy, good simple triggers, CRPF models (WSM) function reliably enough and not a terrible amount of funds out the door - I am personally finished with any company, firearms, tires, appliances ... don't matter, who is not 110% out front on customer service - In these times and the economy we have been experiencing there is no excuse for not bending over backward (figuratively) to make the CUSTOMER happy - Given that I do alot of contract work for alot of different people in alot of different venues I have, of late, had nightmare after nightmare and would gladly post a list herein if requested

I bought a Kimber Montana in 300 win mag in 2008 and it is my go to rifle, been all over this state and beat up but has never given me one lick of trouble. Shoots all the ammo I put in it and functions perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    for MY money AND time spent I am now switching to New Haven model 70's and "customizing" as needed - not terribly heavy, good simple triggers
    This was the origin of the original post. I have several New Haven, model 70's. Earlier this week I was on the beach watching some goats, and thought: If we catch three nice sunny days in a row, I'll just haul my fat butt up there and study them a wee'bit. Which begged the question which rifle to take. About that time I found a .243 M-70 "Classic" that was feeling under-hiked. So my choices are: Paint the M-70 .243 and call it good, or buy a $600.00 stock for the M-70, or spring for a Kimber "Montana" in .308 Win.

Then there is the "Subsistence" Moose hunt in Palmer Creek. An area that has been closed for 40+ years to moose hunting.

AGL, we have "alot" in common ( I just wish I had "your" problem in Alaska ! ) just this morning I found myself holding a Montana in one hand and a New Haven in the other balancing them and comtemplating - I really do like the Kimber rifles and also have a couple of Kimber 1911's that I would not sell OR trade for anything - As a "fair weather" rifle I'll take the Montana anytime and anywhere but for a icy, crappy, damp foggy plain assed cold environment I'll opt for the "old" model 70 ( as soon as I figure out the proper coating system that is ) I've not had any trouble with the Montana's (but haven't been in that bad a condition yet ) but I've had two (2) stainless Abolts freeze up solid on me and I don't mistreat my rifles at anytime

I have had many Kimbers and other than 3 many years ago, they have been a great rifle for the money. Many custom features for $1200 +/-. The company is however to blame for stuff that should not have been shipped, some snotty customer service "help" and a general New York attitude. As of a few years ago, their QC has improved a lot. Some complaints of "bad groups" are from people who do not know how to shoot an ultra lite rifle such as the 84M lineup. My Talkeetna thinks its a benchrest rifle, my 270's are solid less than MOA performers. My WSM's were all good but I have left that style. The little 84M Bob is a sweetheart that the wife likes.
    As much as I like my pre '64's, they will not see inclement weather, rough terrain or backpack conditions. Not that they can't handle it, but I've got something better that I don't have to worry about, the Montana version of the Kimber.

Just today I was talking to the owner of a local rifle store and he indicated Kimber is backlogged big time. Between 3 regional/smaller shops, they collectively have over 150 handguns and rifles on backorder. That might be good for Kimber but I am wondering if this might not result in another round of bad QC just trying to get orders out the door. Their new Solo (mini 9mm) is hopelessly back ordered - I've scene that $600 (retail) pistol sell for over $1K on various internet sites.

I hope this doesn't mean any more delays on the 84L Montana. I have a 270 Win. in their Classic Select. A beauty and a shooter. But I would not strap it to the ATV or snowmachine and hit the boonies. That's just me, you may be different. But that 84L in a Montana is going to be the finest, light weight, custom featured rifle to come out ever! For about $1200, that is a bargain! A 270Win. with 130's for long range and a 30-06 with 180's or 200's would fill about 95% of all big game hunting needs. The 25-06 and the 280AI will come out "later" - whatever that means. If you like the short action cartridges, the 84M is your ticket. If you prefer the standard issue, the 84L is one to ride the river with.

The Talkeetna? It just sits on the bench ready to hit "clean-up".

When they shoot they are very very good, but when they dont they are horrid

Hey a poem

Buy a Blaser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast