Thread: Stinson almost eating some trees

Default Stinson almost eating some trees

Don't have any details except that it is registered in Canada obviously.

Good driving in my opinion. Most likely 115 degrees on the runway, and very cool air over the water. Sometimes you just have to ride'her where she wants to go. A fool would have panic and cut power, bounced once and nosed over in the water. That was a fun take-off. Those things are tanks anyway.

Somebody didn't calculate his weight or density alltitude before he jumped in that plane. That took forever to get in the air

Look closely and you'll see he forgot to set the flaps for takeoff.

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post
    Reckon that might have helped?

I didn't even notice, good eye. That would explain a couple things

Quote Originally Posted by tralika View Post
    First thing I noticed too...he almost got to rig for silent running.

Right wing passes thru tree. Fake vidio.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Right wing passes thru tree. Fake vidio.
    Don't think so .................... but you may be right.

Right wing looks to go between some limbs and barely misses the trunk. Maybe it is fake. It just seems that it took way to long to get off the ground on a downhill strip, flaps or no flaps.

The wing just misses the trunk of the tree. A few inches to the right and it would have most likely been an entirely different outcome.

The "snowball effect" is caused by many errors in judgement that have accumulated with potentially catastrophic consequences. This incident is a classic example of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tcraft View Post
    The wing just misses the trunk of the tree. A few inches to the right and it would have most likely been an entirely different outcome.

The "snowball effect" is caused by many errors in judgement that have accumulated with potentially catastrophic consequences. This incident is a classic example of this.
    The more I look at it the limbs of the tree do seem to move as the right wing passes through. Probaly knocked a nut out of a chimpmunks mouth, but there is movement.

I never flew a taildrager but is holding the tail wheel down over the last 400 feet good form?

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    I never flew a taildrager but is holding the tail wheel down over the last 400 feet good form?
    As a general rule No, for one thing tail wheels break off on rough ground. But mostly it just reduces drag if you blow the tail up. The one exception might be gusting cross winds would be reason to hold the tail down.

Tail down in gusty crosswinds?...not good. Much better control with the tail flying

Quote Originally Posted by Monguse View Post
    Tail down in gusty crosswinds?...not good. Much better control with the tail flying
    I guess my point of reference is the narrow bush strips, with brush (Alders, Willows) about 6' high on both sides of the strip. And not wanting the tail up till there was enough ground speed to have much rudder control, keeping it down and using the brush as a wind break.

Looks like maybe a green pilot, to begin with. The tail is much too high early in the takeoff run. And, since the pilot neglected the flaps, I wonder if he also neglected the carb heat . . . ? To AGL 4now: the ground speed wouldn't make any difference to rudder response, would it? Airspeed would, though. With enough airspeed for the elevators to get that Stinson's tail off the ground, there was surely enough airspeed to earn effective rudder response, espcially with that huge tail back there.

All in all - - - looks like poor technique, but really good luck. And we can all use a dab of good luck from time to time.

The young lady who was flying that day has posted her explanation elsewhere on the web. She sounds pretty humble about the video.

Oh dear... Have to 'fess up. Things do come back to haunt one, don't they? This was me, Selina, in GYYF. Of course I have already received this video a few times in the last couple of days. I think it was 1999 or 2000.

What can I say? It was hot, I had 2 passengers and thought I knew more than I did about short field takeoffs. This little field is just outside of Victoria B.C. and once we were in the air we headed straight to Nanaimo's LONG runway to land and assess damages. The only victims, other than my pride, were the gear fairings as I did a bit of landscaping on the way out.

What was I thinking? I sure didn't use correct short field procedures and quickly ran out of room. I knew I was in trouble and also knew I was committed to the takeoff. As we lifted off my right seat passenger, a more experienced pilot (as was the second passenger in the back), was quick enough to yell at me to push the nose down and was ready to do so himself if I didn't. That instinct to pull up is strong especially with the tops of the trees coming at you.

Just about the best learning experience I've every had... And probably the scariest.

Coincidentally I met the owner of this little field this past weekend at a fly-in and we had a little reminisce about my "incident". The field is still in use although I think they have removed a few more of the trees at the end. I don't think I'll be tackling it again although a little voice inside says perhaps I should go back without passengers and do it properly!
    My take-off runs last 3 or 4 seconds. Maybe a couple of seconds longer if heavy. Nothing like the time the Stinson in the video consumes. I can't keep my planes on the ground that long at full throttle even if I try. There's no substitute for horsepower. :-)

Well it's poor planning and pilot technique to say the least. If its not faked, and with computers these days it could very well be faked. He or she is very very lucky, it could have been very very ugly. Gets the tail up, then drags the tail again. Looks like slow acceleration to me. A notch of flaps, use all of the runway, hold breaks and get full power before beginning the Take off Roll, Doing a couple of things like a Weight and Balance, TO distance Calulation and Density Alt. I would bet coin that the mixture was too rich and was not getting good power out of the engine. And then stupid enough to put it on you tube, I wonder if the FAA or anybody is looking at this? Seems to me the pilot in question needs some more training.

And then stupid enough to put it on you tube, I wonder if the FAA or anybody is looking at this? Seems to me the pilot in question needs some more training.
    As with many things YouTube...she very likely didn't post it, somebody else did. 11 years ago in Canada...I doubt the FAA is interested. She sure sounds humbled in the quote.

I once was involved in a similar take-off in a float equiped Stinson. We took the top three feet off a spruce tree with the cross members of the floats and a little prop contact. We didn't crash, but the pucker factor was HUGE. This pilot ended up dying a few months later in an inflight fire with the same aircraft.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem