Thread: The "40 Club drill" (Advanced skill level)

Default The "40 Club drill" (Advanced skill level)

Created by an Alaskan, with an idea from another Tier one pistol drill. It has been tested a few times with some squared away pistol shooters, I have shot it about 10 times and the highest score Ive got so far is a 38. A perfect 40 is certainly achievable, but it takes perfect manipulations.

I will try to post a video sometime in the near future...
    Please post a video of it if you're successful, or at least pm me. Feed back welcome

This drill is designed to test the advanced level shooter, Please do not attempt it if your a basic/entry level Pistol shooter. first seek professional level instruction. Firearms are inherently and unavoidably dangerous, Always observe the firearms safety rules.

Distance
    :
    all shots at 5 yards

Time
    :
    All shots at 5 Seconds. “Match timer”

Total Rounds:
    40 …..32 points is the minimum score

Rules of engagement:

1 point possible, per round fired.
    All head hits are scored.
    A-zone body hits are scored.
    Standard IDPA target.
    All Over times are, -1 point each.

Strong hand only, from holster.
    4 hits body, 1 hit head

Support hand only, from holster.
    1 hit body

From Guard, Support hand only, (transfer pistol to support side hand at buzzer)
    3 hits body, 1 hit head

Standard presentation.
    7 hits body, 1 hit head

Standard presentation.
    5 hits body
    Slide lock, Speed load
    2 hits body

Standard presentation.
    2 hits body
    Slide lock, Speed load
    Fail to stop

From pointed in.
    Empty chamber, fully loaded/inserted magazine
    Shooter receives a “click”, performs type one Malfunction clearance drill.
    6 hits to the body, 1 hit to the head

From guard.
    1 hit body
    Slide lock, speed load
    1 hit body
    Slide lock, speed load
    1 hits body

Doesn't sound too bad.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks for posting. For those of us who are "Low Speed, High Drag" what does 'from guard position'* mean? And 'Support hand only, from holster', does this mean a support side holster or draw from strong side holster with your support hand?

* I have 30+ years expirence as a sport fencing coach, so I could tell you what the guard positions are in all three fencing weapons, but I've never taken a guard position with a pistol!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

thanks for the reply,
    Well The "Guard position" in its simplest form means the weapon is in your hands, The Muzzle is depressed in a safe direction, Trigger finger straight along the slide, You Have not made the decision to shoot. safety On, unless you have a Glock, (searching, accessing, verbal commands, seeking cover, etc).

Where "pointed in" is sights on the target, Trigger finger smoothly taking the slack out of the trigger and you have made the decision to shoot.

Support side from holster
    means. For what ever reason... you have lost the use of your strong side/ dominant hand. but a lethal force threat is still trying to attack you. You would draw the pistol with your Support side hand and Fire and/or assess the situation. There are a couple methods taught for this.

Am I to understand that the 5 seconds is engagement time from the start buzzer to the last shot?
    Now what ?

@Stevelyn.....
    the Par times are all five seconds. All shot's for each individual string of fire is five seconds. all shots over time are -1 point each. thank you for the post i hope i helped you there, please keep in touch i'd like to know how it went. Thanks

check out my site. tyrtraininggroup.blogspot.com

Thanks Ragnar. I was looking for something else to challenge the guys with.
    Now what ?

Anyone make a video of this yet? or shoot it?

Pfffffft................... Haven't had a chance to yet. We've been on 12s since early June and it keeps whizzing rain out here. Hopefully we'll be able run a range next month.
    Now what ?

Here is a video of the 40 club drill, anyone else shoot it yet.

I ran some guys through this the other day. Some of the drills took a bit of practice to come in under the 5 second mark. It was fun and I got good feedback. The varying number of rounds fired was a nice change from the "two to the body and one to the head" mantra. We weren't sure how you intended the support hand from the holster volley to be done so we drew strong hand then transitioned to support for the shot. Drawing support hand from the holster in under 5 seconds would take a lot of practice and is a bit dangerous with several shooters on the line.

Fun shoot though, I imagine I'll put aspects to use in the future.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Looks to be an excellent series of drills. Far more in depth than I am using now. My only criticism is the lack of a back stop in the video on what looks like public land.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks for the reply

yes, it is certainly good to get away from the bad habit of, two hits and look for the effect, that many shooters get sucked into.

As for the drawing with support hand only, I strongly recommend some dry practice, preferably with a partner or a Firearms instructor to give some feed back. It is an extremely important, and often overlooked skill set. If you for whatever reason lose the use of your strong side arm broke/shot whatever, It is important that the shooter has PRE developed a smooth, efficient and quick response to stop a lethal threat to life, with only the use of there support side arm. We must get out of our comfort zones and "Safely" push ourselves. that was my primary reason for making this drill to incorporate some essential survival skills into a easy to set up and use drill.

As the saying goes. We must plan prepare for and expect a worst case scenario.