Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Valdez Pinks

Question Valdez Pinks

Any sign of them yet?

Not yet. Saw some out at Hinch this pass weekend.

Pinks mid sound Thursday. Lots of Killer Whales. Should be in Valdez in 7 days.

Have the pinks hit Valdez yet?
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    Have the pinks hit Valdez yet?
    I was wondering the same thing. Headed down this weekend and planning on bringing the downriggers just in case.

Just received a reply from a nice woman with the camber of commerce in Valdez. She said that as of yesterday morning no pinks have returned to the hatchery, but that seiners are catching them in the narrows a short ways away and that they expect them to return soon and be in Valdez in good numbers over the forth.

There ain't a single salmon in the Port of Valdez yet. I'm down here and have been watching the water all week. Haven't even wetted a line yet...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

They're here! Watched the first school roll in this morning. Seals working the lead and sea lions working the tail with the fish in the middle jumping like popcorn.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Im planning on comming down friday evening.. Mostly to recon for goat area for this falls registration hunt. Would liek to bring the poles and shrimp pots....bbq and make a weekend out of it. Ive never fished out their, nor shrimped.. Is it worth bringing my pots? how far out do you have to travel to get into fish.. such as halibut, rock fish, etc..

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Im planning on comming down friday evening.. Mostly to recon for goat area for this falls registration hunt. Would liek to bring the poles and shrimp pots....bbq and make a weekend out of it. Ive never fished out their, nor shrimped.. Is it worth bringing my pots? how far out do you have to travel to get into fish.. such as halibut, rock fish, etc..

Thanks,
    WAHOO! JOAT! Thanks for the great news. Even tho we are coming down Saturday I was hoping the pinks would be in for the kids while us men folks hit the Bays

Hoytguy, Bring the Pots We'll haul em out there for ya! While you go Scouting for them Goats. If we see any I'll let ya know where.You might as well bring the poles and scout at the same time.

I would bring them. You can get on some Halibut and Rockfish just outside the narrows. Some can be found closer in but there just arent as many as out a bit. Good shrimping can be had all throughout the bay, you dont need to go very far.

What's the latest? Is Allison Point getting hot yet, or do they need a little more time to stack up?

Not yet. Aside from the one school that came in a couple days ago, there hasn't been any notable activity since. A few fishermen working the beach around Allision Point starting yesterday. Haven't seen anyone leaving with a stringer of fish yet.

So, still waiting for some fishable numbers to arrive...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Thanks for the scouting info. We will be there tomorrow afternoon for the high tide. Hopefully the pinks will be too. Really want to smoke and can a mess of them up.

Just got into Valdez. Beautiful sunny weather 61 degrees and cotton candy clouds. WAHOO. I'll be in the Ohantom SportJon named " The Dragoon". See y'all here.btw we are staying in the totem inn cabins our back #309 I'd any forum members wanna say howdy.

Drove by Allison Point today. Saw lots of people washing their lures, but didn't see any fish caught. None in the weir either. Heard reports of pinks in the Narrows, so it won't be long. Good luck to all!

Dan... did you bring this rain!?! It's like a cow ******* on a flat rock out there! (self-censored)

Got purse seiners parked off Allison Point. Not sure what that's about as there certainly isn't any commerically harvestable numbers in the area yet, though there are a few pinks milling about. An eagle was feasting on his fresh catch by the hatchery 2 days ago.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

We fished from about 4 pm till 3 am last night out in Galena Bay and all that time we saw Pinks and Herring jumping. Also we went out by Blighs Reef milling around and Saw Pinks out there as well jumping. Pretty much from the narrows all the way to the Reef we saw Pinks.
    JOAT... I think I did bring the rain dangit.

I heard that a seiner capsized this morning in the Narrows? I think. Right now you can see them working up close to Allison Point catching all the Pinks. I also heard that some Silver we
    where caught on the south side of Hitchinbrook. we saw a couple of 140 pounders (halibut) brought in. Rain is misting also.

I totally dig the pink season in Valdez. I remember commercial fishing for pinks and getting .3 cents per pound. Oh ya, those were the days ;-)
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast