Thread: Russian Fly Stuck in the Neck

Red face Russian Fly Stuck in the Neck

Had a co-worker of mine go to the Russian yesterday and got a Russian Fly hooked in his neck. He couldn't get it out, so he decided to continue his fishing. He said he got a lot of looks and double takes while fishing with the fly sticking out of his neck. Was on the right side.

He got hooked by his buddy while trying to pull in a Red. He went to net the fish and the fish popped out of the net and his buddy pulled his rod up hard to keep the fish from escaping, thus releasing the hook from the fishes mouth, in which the line under pressure released and flew around his neck and the fly hooking him real good in the neck. I saw the pictures and laughed my tail off. Wish I had it so I could post it.

Did anybody see this guy? He was fishing on the Kenai near the cleaning tables, and was on the ferry, and stopped by Girdwood for some beers.

It was a pretty funny story.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Wouldn't be the Russian without someone catching a fly! Few years ago my dad "set the hook" and his sinker hit him in the eye, breaking his contact. Had to take him to the dr. office.

Tim

This technique works and is painless; been done twice to me with hooks in the face. Good to learn and know; saves a trip to the doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/general/hookout.htm

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by RC23 View Post
    This technique works and is painless; been done twice to me with hooks in the face. Good to learn and know; saves a trip to the doc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg

http://www.bishfish.co.nz/articles/general/hookout.htm
    I agree that it's effective, but the claim of it being "painless"....well I'm not so sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I agree that it's effective, but the claim of it being "painless"....well I'm not so sure about that.
    I am sure it is painless; speaking from experience.

One of the big reasons I debarb my hooks.

Makes for an interesting and original piercing though.
    Now what ?

He did try to remove the hook, but it was pretty deeply seated near is juggler and said it was pretty painful trying to remove it. Had to visit the Docs office to get it out.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Wouldn't be the Russian without someone catching a fly! Few years ago my dad "set the hook" and his sinker hit him in the eye, breaking his contact. Had to take him to the dr. office.

Tim
    Had 3 splitshot come zipping back at me last year on the Kenai and one hit me on the cheek, the other two found my eyelid. That f'ing hurt.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I've started putting my pliers in my mouth when getting close to some of these fish ... not only to quickly unhook anything but add a guard to [some of] my face just in case. Came in handy last week as a red made a final salute to me and threw the hook. It ended up solidly in the handle of my pliers next to my left cheek. "PHEW"