Thread: Painting Composite stock......advise requested.

Default Painting Composite stock......advise requested.

Do you have any advise on goof-ups to avoid when painting a composite stock....? Can I just clean it with gasoline, and paint with a can of cheap paint.....? Are there solvents to avoid on a Winchester Classic composite stock.....? Planning on using Krylon "Make It Stone Metallic" Textured paint for a non-slip finish. Request suggestions. Goal is not a work of art, but better gripping when hands are wet or when wearing gloves.

rough it up a bit, wash it off, paint it

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    rough it up a bit, wash it off, paint it
    Thanks...........(Ken, you need to do something about the swarms of customers at WWG).

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Thanks...........(Ken, you need to do something about the swarms of customers at WWG).
    half of those guys were the reality show crew

They didnt buy nuttin. Sorry I didnt get a chance to chat, they had me running around

Having done this a time or two, let me suggest three things:
    1.) sand it down well with about 320 grit sandpaper to give it a "tooth";
    2.) wipe any residue off really well (I use a tack cloth and rubbing alcohol);
    3.) use the plastic primer that Krylon makes. It will ensure that your color coat stays put.

Have a good time!

do not use "make it stone" !! it will turn to mush when exposed to even a little bit of moisture ! there is a deck paint with grit in it who's name escapes me now but it is outdoor paint and has just the right amount of texture

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    do not use "make it stone" !! it will turn to mush when exposed to even a little bit of moisture ! there is a deck paint with grit in it who's name escapes me now but it is outdoor paint and has just the right amount of texture
    THANK YOU.........See that is why this forum is Wonderful. Thank Again.

If you want grit, get some fine, cleaned sand handy (I used rock polishing grit), then spray your primer and sprinkle the sand in your wet primer. Do one side of the stock at a time (horizontally). After you get both sides done you can put on your color coat. I did this on a hand hold for my camper a couple of years ago, and it still looks new.

Don't put any grit on the cheek pad area or you'll end up with what feels like sandpaper tearing at your face under recoil. I would mask off all but the specific areas you want extra traction.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

do what you want in the way of additives in your "primer" - I have painted several rifles with this paint. cheekpiece and all, and my face is just fine thank you - This decking paint is working perfectly for me and my FREE advice is for your consideration not for you nay sayers so use it wisely and enjoy ... as soon as I can run down to the shop I'll post the name of the paint product but in the meantime, if you want to splotch up your stock with some "primer" go for it guys ...

the paint product is called RESTORE-X "firmfoot" Slip Resistant Epoxy Spray with GRIT - I bought it a Forest Paint Products in Eugene Oregon on McKinley St. - it has warnings on the label and some bad stuff if not used with proper ventilation which means, IN MY EXPERIENCE, that it's good paint that will do what it says it will - cost is $8 / can (they gave me extra nozzles for free too)

I personally don't care if anyone uses this stuff or not - I use it with great results and, GUESS WHAT !!, no sore face !!

Thanks, I'll see if it is available in Anchorage.

Here's a link to Hightech specialties (Mark Bansner's stock company) description of both bedding and painting their synthetic stock:

http://www.hightech-specialties.com/...tructions.html

Geez AGL, just bring it by and we will spray it with bed liner for you for the cost of the paint

the next time I'm in Anchorage I NEED to stop into Wild West Guns ! They seem to be an awesome and accomodating shop !

Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    the next time I'm in Anchorage I NEED to stop into Wild West Guns ! They seem to be an awesome and accomodating shop !
    Bring donuts. We love donuts. Especially the ones with the goo inside that spurt all over you when you bite into them. Im not a slob, the jelly donut attacked me without provocation.

O K ... on the list