Thread: The "40 Club drill" (Advanced skill level required)

Default The "40 Club drill" (Advanced skill level required)

Created by an Alaskan, with an idea from another Tier one pistol drill. It has been tested a few times with some squared away pistol shooters, I have shot it about 10 times and the highest score Ive got so far is a 38. A perfect 40 is certainly achievable, but it takes perfect manipulations.

I will try to post a video sometime in the near future...
    Please post a video of it if you're successful, or at least pm me. Feed back welcome

This drill is designed to test the advanced level shooter, Please do not attempt it if your a basic/entry level Pistol shooter. first seek professional level instruction. Firearms are inherently and unavoidably dangerous, Always observe the firearms safety rules.

Distance
    :
    all shots at 5 yards

Time
    :
    All shots at 5 Seconds. “Match timer”

Total Rounds:
    40 …..32 points is the minimum score

Rules of engagement:

1 point possible, per round fired.
    All head hits are scored.
    A-zone body hits are scored.
    Standard IDPA target.
    All Over times are, -1 point each.

Strong hand only, from holster.
    4 hits body, 1 hit head

Support hand only, from holster.
    1 hit body

From Guard, Support hand only, (transfer pistol to support side hand at buzzer)
    3 hits body, 1 hit head

Standard presentation.
    7 hits body, 1 hit head

Standard presentation.
    5 hits body
    Slide lock, Speed load
    2 hits body

Standard presentation.
    2 hits body
    Slide lock, Speed load
    Fail to stop

From pointed in.
    Empty chamber, fully loaded/inserted magazine
    Shooter receives a “click”, performs type one Malfunction clearance drill.
    6 hits to the body, 1 hit to the head

From guard.
    1 hit body
    Slide lock, speed load
    1 hit body
    Slide lock, speed load
    1 hits body

Guess I will be the first to say, "I can't do it". Don't shoot as much as I used to, but even on my best day I doubt I would have scored a 40 out of a possible 40. It would be fun to watch shooters who can do that on a regular basis. Fast and accurate shooting at reasonable self defense distances has always intrigued me. There are some good drills out there, I like this one and will have to shoot it with my son-in-law. I know it will remind us of our mediocre pistol skills and the need to put in some "trigger time".

thanks for the reply,
    The most important aspect of the drill is that it tests some specific survival skills. Such as One handed weapon shooting, (If your shot on either side), Getting away from only two hits, the ability to control the weapon while putting multiple well aimed hits onto the threat in order to stop it, Slide lock Speed loads and the type one malfunction clearance drill, Getting out of the holster quickly (with a proper grip) and acquiring proper sight picture/Alignment and smoothly running the trigger straight to the rear.

Just by practicing the drill weather you can get a 40 or not or even within the 5 seconds or not, isn't the most important thing. Its about bringing your skill set up to the next level. Always planning, preparing and expecting the worst case scenario. maybe start off with an 8 second Par time? and work your way up?
    Like Col cooper said "owning a handgun don't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician"