Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Season growing closer!

Default Season growing closer!

Less than 60 days till grouse season opens......obviously I'm bored at work right now, not to mention ready for bird season!!

Ease up there young man! You've got plenty of dog training to do, and I've got to do some fly fishing yet. Bad enough we will be losing daylight again starting some time next week. :-)

Jim

If I could just convince my Labrador to stay on the bank while I'm getting the drift right on a #16 Adams. In a related matter, I found out that the terrier can swim like a fish.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    In a related matter, I found out that the terrier can swim like a fish.
    Even without the tooth?

Even with a 60 day countdown I'll be overly anxious and under prepared. Sounds like my past dating life...
    Go Big Red!

PG13,

You get the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    PG13,You get the job?
    I wouldn't know, they still haven't responded to the first round of phone interviews. I'm calling today but I think the in-person logistics for a panel with folks from at least 4 different stations is hindering progress. Have any leverage you can lean on for me?!
    Go Big Red!

I'll bring a couple of guys from Chicago to ruff 'em up a bit! I'll see if I can find out something.

I'll bring in a couple of guys from Chicago to ruff 'em up a bit! I'll see if I can find out something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
    Less than 60 days till grouse season opens......obviously I'm bored at work right now, not to mention ready for bird season!!
    One day at a time, Hoyt. Just take it one day at a time.
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

I heard that ptarmigan haven't reached their escapement goals so the season is closed until further notice...
    Go Big Red!

Yeah I heard the same but that they are only closing the commercial take.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yeah I heard the same but that they are only closing the commercial take.
    It's about time! The bycatch of snowshoe hare and pine marten has been awful.

Well, my sources tell me the season will still be open, but it will be catch and release. Now I need someone to explain to this old hunter just how we will accomplish this magical trick?

Less than three weeks

Wow! Thats right!

Too early imo. Down here in the Mad-zoo we get a lot of brood hunting on gravel roads. The birds get plinked pretty hard.

My new little french brittany is working hard to learn her commands. Hope to show her some birds this week at Falcon Ridge.

Just enjoyed my second full day of retirement. Went fishing with my wife at Willow Creek. Fun! Fun! The fishing was fun too.

Dog training, the #12 Adams thing, fishing, dog training...learning to train the dog...fishing... yeah!!! Fun!!! I'll be up north for a week or 2 in September / October. I plan to show little "Gal" birds of every sort. Not too interested in banging at them yet, haffta see how she goes.

Buuurrrds!!! Yeah!!!

AK Woodsman,Congratulations on your retirement! You seem to be living the good life, and doing right by your new bird dog. good for you.Jim

Thank you Jim! I still have lots of interesting things to learn ahead of me and looking forward to it. I enjoy this outdoorsdirectory, it is interesting and insightful.

Do you think it too early to run my pup on grouse broods?? My intent is to see if she is interested in birds, and take her walking. As soon as the season opens the broods will get worked but I don't want to do it TOO early on wild birds.

Other states sometimes have bird dog training seasons. I'm concerned busting the broods up too early might leave young grouse susceptible to predation. Game bird chicks probably need the family group/brood time to continue learning what to pick and eat and where to hide when danger comes....

Mr. Alaskan Woodsman,

First, I like what you write on this site. We'd get along just fine. But to the question about working broods right now; I'd say those birds are plenty old enough to do some training on. During the early part of our season I hardly ever shoot a grouse, but I certainly work the dogs on them and maybe teach them something about orange clad beasts that stalk the forest with strange looking "wolves." I just don't bother the same brood twice.

Three of my Brittanys and I were out for some exercise one evening a week ago and bumped into a brood of ruffed grouse. Those young birds scattered pronto and flew quite well despite short, undeveloped tailfeathers. Within the hour I actually watched as the hen came back to call to them and gather them up. These grouse chicks are growing rapidly these days and by late August, early September, it will be hard to tell the young from the old. Here in the interior region the drumming counts were up this spring, so I'm looking forward to a great season. No word on sharptails, but my dogs and I always find plenty of them.

Wish I had a new pup to work.

Best of luck to you and your pup! Post photos.

Jim

This is a good discussion and good news for "Gal" and I. Watching that brood of ruffs re-gather must have been cool.

I bumped a brood of sprucies one time a few years ago with 14 chicks. That was the largest brood I've ever seen. All but one went the right way across the two track. I took a little break so not to bump them all to heck, and pretty soon the loner crossed the trail too and joined it's siblings. I didn't have a dog with me that day which was good because the flock was pretty young and could fly only a short distance before they'd hit the ground. It was fun to see and I had the time to wait, walking out of the woods.

I am very glad to read your bird report. Gal and I are walkin' around!

I spent two hours or so yesterday morning scouting around our cabin, but I only saw about 4-5 groups of birds; I'm not sure if that's good or bad. Biggest group I saw was 6 birds. My son and I are going up on the 9th to get an early start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast