Thread: Halibut out of Homer(video)

Default Halibut out of Homer(video)

Went out of Homer for Memorial weekend with my 9 year old boys and best friend (he shot the video). Craziest thing I've ever seen!We would pull up one and like 20 more chickens would follow it up and start schooling around the boat. One even tried to beach itself on the the swim step!Dan

That is cool!!
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Had that same thing happen to us once when we were out by Flat Island back when that was a long way to go for halibut and there were consistently big fish there....ahh, the good old days.

It's pretty neat to see that!

Was in Homer a week ago and we had halibut coming up behind the hooked ones also. Pretty cool to see. Your video makes ya want to use a fly rod. Any one ever hook a halibut on the surface?

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Was in Homer a week ago and we had halibut coming up behind the hooked ones also. Pretty cool to see. Your video makes ya want to use a fly rod. Any one ever hook a halibut on the surface?
    Not with, say, a dry fly or anything, but I've had a couple of followers take my bait right there next to the boat. Just caught one out of Seward that way a few weeks ago. I was checking my bait and it followed it all the way up. Then I just presented it in front of the 'but and he took it.

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    I`ve seen this the last couple times out of Homer. I usually keep a light (14-17#) spinning rig at the ready and you can limit the whole Boat (2-6 people) in minutes....sure makes it fun.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

We were out Memorial Day weekend, too, and saw the same thing! Both at the compass rose and Flat Island. I have never seen halibut on the fish finder like that before. It was pretty cool. My husband has been using crippled herring jigs and a spinning rod for several years- biggest one he's landed was about 77 pounds according to the tide book.

The struggling caught fish is emmiting vibrations that are picked up via the lateral lines of his cousins; it sometimes produces a feeding frenzy effect especialy when the hooked fish is held at the surface; indiginous to a variety of species dependent on conditions...

Rosenberg/Florida
    Kodiak, 4 days...
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Charterboat Operator

[QUOTE=Bernard R. Rosenberg;960703]The struggling caught fish is emmiting vibrations that are picked up via the lateral lines of his cousins; it sometimes produces a feeding frenzy effect especialy when the hooked fish is held at the surface; indiginous to a variety of species dependent on conditions...

dont really know about the emmiting vibrations, but from what i have seen in the MANY times this has happened to me, is that the hooked halibut will regergitate its full belly of food as it comes to the surface, and the others follow chasing after the feed. I have actually seen other halibut attacking the hooked fish and ramming it in the stomach area to make it caugh up its full belly. Sure fun with the kids, and a fly rod (wink)

Cool video. We had this happen last friday out of Homer in the area of the fingers.
    I had one on about 10-12 pounds at the surface and one 4-5 times bigger swam up behind it and then just swam away into the depths. I wish I had another rod ready as this fish was much bigger than the 15-20# fish we were catching. Myu fiance caught one 5' below the boat. Lots of fun to be sure.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Very cool. We have had that happen a few times over the last couple seasons out near the Compass Rose. Don't ever let anyone tell you halibut don't show up on the fishfinder!
    P5280016.JPG

I was fishing out of Homer today and had well over 100 fish in the water around the boat. We broke out the buzz bomb and the light gear that i use for black bass and had a great time. I was able to reach down and grab halibut swimming by the boat. It became fun to try and keep the lure away from the halibut. The fish were in the 15-30 lb range and quite a fight on the light gear. Another bonus was not having to reel them up from 250'.