Thread: skis

Default skis

What model and size skis do you guys suggest for a citabria 7gcbc in interior Alaska.

Thanks

I am a "bigger is better" kind of guy when it comes to skis. The GCBC with the stock gear can only be legal with the short prop. With the 80" prop, that is a great little ski plane in my opinion. I have always wanted a 2500 ski to help keep me up on top of the snow better but I don't think it's legal on that plane. I have only used the Landis 2000 skis on my GCBC so that's all I can talk to but I did some research before buying. I liked the flexibility of the landis ski on the spring gear compared to a metal ski but I think that when you are comparing straight skis to straight skis it comes down to your own preferences. If you need the wheel dollies, the aero skis might be better cause the dollies can be taken on and off easily. You can put the platform dollies under the landis skis too but it's a little harder than the ones that use the leverage arm. I am a Landis guy myself and have always been pleased with them on that model plane. I park on a lake so I don't need dollies. The deeper the snow, the more planning and runway prep you will need to do to be safe and avoid getting stuck. Scout gear, 80" prop and what a combo!!! I never bought the tale ski and many times I wish I had. I can't pop the tail up on the gcbc like the cub so keeping that tail up on top of the snow is a good idea. Just my thoughts on the topic and I am sure there are other opinions out there. This year I will be trying out my new ski plane which is an M6-235 Maule with the Landis 3000 skis. Should be fun. I use to fly more in the summer than in the winter but then got hooked on ski flying and it's now the other way around. Have fun!!!

Default Ski

Tony, on my 7gcbc I have approved the stock, 80 and 82 inch prop, and fly landis 2000 ski's on scout gear with p-Tex extending the max on all but the rear of the ski and they work great. There is a pair on craigslist for $1000 dollars, I would buy if I had the cash(the guy says used only one season). Remember must use bungees on spring gear.

thanks guys.

Airglas 2500's
    Tim

Depending on where you are flying, there is typically alot less snow in the fairbanks area than southcentral. The "bigger is better" thinking of us south central guys isn't AS much of a factor there. GENERALLY speaking.......
    Either way, those 2000's sound like a deal. Can put bigger bottoms on if you get stuck a bunch. I just don't see it with the typical snow conditions there.
    My .02.

PS. You can make "lever arm" style dollies for the landes skis as well. I have a set you are welcome to copy. They plug into any hollow axle. Mine are Landes 2500's currently.

Also see:
    http://www.supercub.org/forum/archiv...p/t-25207.html

The guys at Landes/Airglas can tell you all the real differences in models too. Ask for Chris.

Owned a set of Aero 3000's once too and liked those alot too.

I've got Federal A2500 with p-tex on them, 337 approval, on my 7eca. I flew around right after that 18-20 inch dump we got back in feb. It took some time to build speed to get the skis on top of that much snow, but she stops in no time. with a bigger engine, you'd have no issues.

Terry, why only use bungees on spring gear? mine are rigged with a cable and spring.

Default Bungees

There is an AD, if needed I would try to dig it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    There is an AD, if needed I would try to dig it up.
    No AD that I know of and I been doing this a few years. There is an AD on LW 3600's.
    Tim

Terry: There is an AD, if needed I would try to dig it up.

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    No AD that I know of and I been doing this a few years. There is an AD on LW 3600's.
    X2

The FAA made it a point (Anchorage FSDO) to require skis on spring gear to have bungees only, not springs for NEW FIELD APPROVALS.
    That was a couple years ago. ---I do believe it was in an AC, but could be wrong.

Reasoning goes like:
    The two springs (ski & gear) work together to create a harmonic that increases over time and gets the ski spring in the prop and the airplane eats itself.
    (Yes I know, there are thousands of these setups flying........I don't work for the FAA...nor do I drink enough of their kool-aid to understand them)

This was in response to the 185 that broke up in flight several years back (a little bird told me). I saw that report actually. Probably google it??? Canada if memory serves?.

ANYWAY, if you already have your skis approved, don't sweat it. If you don't, use a FSDO other than Anchorage if a FA is necessary.......

I can think of a couple STC's that use springs on spring gear. Explain that one to me. Is the STC void?

All info above worth exactly what you paid.

http://members.shaw.ca/djcat/Accidents.htm

The one that was referenced when it was explained to me. I remember it because of the survivors. THAT's a wild ride.

The diagrams in the brief affirm my memory of that accident. The bungee was attached to a fitting that clamped onto the Cessna main gear leg. My 180 had those fittings when I bought it. They were replaced with FA Dodge fittings a couple of years before this accident. The geometry of the gear-mounted fittings wasn't good. Funny how similar it is to typical Cub rigging with the attach tab on the forward gear bolt.

My Cessna is approved with springs on the Landes skis. The big buzz at Atlee's with spring installation paperwork is that the crust cutter must not be run through the spring center. Steve makes it very clear to point it out, too. I wonder what precipitated that note?

I think the cables were fouling the springs or vice versa. The guys around here are all now running SOMETHING inside the springs even though we all moved the safety cable outside.

Connecting cable to cable (slack applied of course) in case the spring breaks. Mine has a 3/32 stretch of cable. Seen that and even rope but something inside is probably a good idea. If the spring breaks, it won't fly forward into the big fan.

Not sure if I described it well enough but I think most here are set up this way. Just an extra safety.

If there is an AD other than the one on LW 3600's please post it.
    Tim