Thread: Kayak rudder advice needed......

Smile Kayak rudder advice needed......

Hey all....

I have a 15' Folboat that needs a rudder. At least I feel it needs a rudder in order to hit the salt. I'm not so concerned about the foot pedals but just don't know how to go about getting a rudder. I need some help with how long/large should it be...what brand.....should I just make my own???

Prices pretty much astound me for such a simplistic device. What the heck? HOWEVER.... don't want to capsize if the winds come up and I'm fighting a salmon either.

Have any of you made your own rudders? Do you have a brand you like? Does size really matter? (get your minds out of the gutter guys. ;-) )

I paddled one of these as a kid on the Chesapeake Bay and other bodies of water with no issues...but Alaskan saltwater is new to me. Only fished the Puget Sound in Washington and never in a YAK, but that was ok most of the time. Am I asking for trouble if I head out around Seward or Whittier without a rudder?

Appreciate any insights any of you may have...or maybe one of you has an old rudder hanging out in one of those piles in the garage!?!! Thanks in advance for your consideration.

FF
    "The Nation which forgets its defenders will itself be forgotten.
    In memory of our troops...defenders of our freedom."

This might help if you want to make it yourself http://www.oneoceankayaks.com/kayakrudder.htm

I built one years ago that was adjusted by reaching back with my paddle and adjusting it.. it was not as nice as having foot pedals, but it worked.. and I could set it so I could track pretty good against current and wind..
    the ones that just keep you going straight are ok, but its nice to be able to adjust the angle if you can..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I would buy a rudder with the foot pedals. I have a wilderness systems Tarpon 16' that came with a rudder. personally I think it would be a huge pain in the ars to deal with a rudder without a foot steering set up.

The guy I bought my kayak from said he bought the rudder kit and installed it, said it cost him $200. I am thinking , worth every penny. One time expense for a great upgrade would be well worth it. It will help you track much better in the wind. I run mine all around Kodiak. As far as Alaska waters, get a dry suit as well.

Cool!! I appreciate the feedback all! Sounds like wise advice indeed!!!

I appreciate it.

FF

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Fishin Farmgirl,
    Have you tried hitting the salt without a rudder yet ? It might be worth a try. I used to kayak around the jetty at Grays Harbor,Washington in a 14 footer with no rudder and did fine out there.Just a thought...........

Cool...thanks for letting me know. I currently have purchased a rudder but not installed it. Just diagnosed with laryngeal cancer and must fly to Seattle for treatment. UGH! And this was to be the summer for really getting into the guts of ALASKA!

FF