Thread: Teaming up from ship creek to susitna river

Default Teaming up from ship creek to susitna river

Looking for someone that wants to team up. Put in on ship creek boat launch,head up susitna river for fishing. I have never done this before and thought the safest way would be to travel as a pair.

That would be a very wise thing to do, but frankly, I don't know that you'll get much fishing in. You would be better served to head to Deshka landing or Susitna boat launch for fishing opportunities.

If you do still decide to go, just make sure you plan around the tide and make sure you bring provisions to stay the night... or two if needed.
    Tony

Be extremely careful, our Coast Guard has plenty to do already.
    As Tz mentioned, run in/out of the mouth on a high tide or you might be there till the next tide comes in. Lots of braids and bars as she enters the ocean. Can also get ugly out there real quick and no place to hide.
    Deshka launch would be a much wiser choice....
    BK

We did this trip once and got pounded coming back across the inlet. The drive to Deska is much more comfortable and you end up being within shorter distance to start fishing. Ditto on hitting the tides correctly and if you do it, consider staying the night and heading back the next morning, the winds tend to kick up in the afternoon in the inlet.

. Do you know if it would be possible to go from the inlet and boat all the way up to little su boat dock and campground. And dont the salmon start running up from the inlet.Thanks so much for your knowledge. I owe you one.

Yes, you can navigate up the Little Su from the Ship Creek launch in Anchorage but as stated earlier you will have to come and go with the tide so you will be committed to a 12 hr trip if all goes well. Just so you know, at most low tides, you can not get your boat out of the Inlet at Ship creek, you are out in the mud. I have made this trip many times over the years and have had a few OMG are we going to make it moments so its nothing to fool with out there. At a minimum, have a dinghy inflated and ready to go in your boat as the tide, wind and weather can make a simple trip go south real quick.

BTW ... greetings to all, this is my first post on this site. I am an addicted river rat and have navigated many rivers over the years and will enjoy sharing and learning from all of you. Have a great day.

HighLife

Thanks. Ive boated out there several times i take my son out there fishing in ship creek. Im familiar with the tides and the ramp. Ive been out on calm days and windy days. Im ready to make the run up there now. I just dont know if the fishing is any good, and how far up you can go. But i see it as a place to get away from the crowd. And explore. close to town.

Lil Su is not a "quiet" fishery. There will be boats all the way down to the mouth if thats where the fish are.
    The fishing can be good anywhere in the river but not typically in the lower 5-10 miles as it's dirty, muddy, and the fish seem to cruise up through that section pretty fast. Better fishing once you get about 1/2 way to the Burma landing from the mouth, but you won't be alone anymore.
    If you have a light jetboat, you can run up past the Burma landing. If you have more of an ocean going vessel, use your judgement as you make your way up the river, I've seen some fairly large boats miles up from the mouth.
    I ran back and forth a few times in an 18' Alumaweld when I was younger but would not repeat the adventure today.
    Good luck.
    BK

Thanks thats some great info. Now all thats left is going for it.

Amber Joe,
    I admire your ambitions and desire to cross the inlet, but honestly, it really isn't worth it. Both in what your going to spend in fuel, and the risk's you'll raise for you and the others on your boat. As everyone is mentioning, the wind and tides are a real pain. Then once your done, you going to come back on here and say... yep, I did it - but wish I would have listened...

Hit the Little sue at either ramps (Upper and lower) and you can have a great time. And if you really want to test your skills, on a high water day, launch and the landing in Houston and run it down to the park landing, great trip, you mostly likely see bears, and you can catch some nice fish.

Or you have the Deshka - and its a trip in itself, especially one weekends...

But then - knowing your ambitions, make sure you take a portable VHF with two sets of batteries and then obviously your PFD's.

Good Luck
    Tony

Thanks for that excellent advice. I love adventure thats why im in alaska. Everything is new to me here. Im like a kid in a candy store that houston trip sounds great. Ive overlooked that one. Theres so many places where to begin. Im thinkin about starting in anchorage and hitting everthing all the way to barrow. You ever need any company out on the water hit me up. If we meet on the water i hope to be right side up.

What kind of floatation device are you running?

Back about 10 years when I use to sell boats and motors we sold 150 hp outboatd for a 24' boat that the guy used exclusively to run from the Anchorage ramp to Alexander creek to fish. He said he knew the channel and had no problem running his 25" shaft motor there. Of course now all you catch in Alexander creek is pike. Bud

when going from Anchorage to the BIG SUE you have a couple of problems
    #1 there is a lot of mud flats out there an you will have to go down the inlet quite a ways be for going up the big SUE. to hit the channel,
    # 2 you can be stuck at the mouth for day's at a time ruff water [ wind] [ size of boat ? ]

# 3 if you do go always go on the incoming tide not on the falling tide

# 4 old days there was no other way to get there, but with the landing's on the big sue it is safer to use them in this day an time

Thanks dawg now that sounds like a good time. If i make that run ill let you know. you reading my mind because i wanted to go to alexander creek to kill some pike. I hadnt considered big su it looked like to many mud flats. Thanx for the idea. When i first came to this site there was not much talk of leaving anchorage ramp. But now i think this is a great thread. Im not lookin for the most comfortable way. Im lookin to get the heart pumpin test my skills and lay it on the line. live a little ya know

ALLUMACRAFT NAVIGATOR semi v 2xb +revere coastal compact liferaft .

Jet?????? I want to make that run as well. there was a guy in our shop that used to do it in an 30 footer with a prop all the way to skwentna. his advice was look at the flags atop the captain cook

Ive heard that about the flag. With my experience ive had good luck with goin with 5 mph winds. I have a 17 footer with out board optimax super stingy with gas, If your interested in goin lets pick a time that works for us both. This week im gonna try to find topagraphy for that area. they didnt have that area at west marine. Guess its not a big seller. Just type back key words (IM IN)