Thread: Seward Reds- Dont bother

Unhappy Seward Reds- Dont bother

They let the local Seiners loose a couple of days ago. There's seven boats out there and they have the mouth of the river almost totally blocked off. You might be able to snag one out of there nets as you can hit them from the bank they are so close. Just be aware at $4.56 per gallon you might want to save you money.

I never liked going to Seward. To far to drive, to many people slinging those freakin hooks around, to dangerous. Oh and the **** comm boats, you won't catch a fish if they are out. They get them all. Wonder how many kings they are catching?????????
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Gotta love the irony of that sockeye run essentially being created and enhanced in order to create a commercial fishery where there hadn't been one in recent memory....And now the very folks who it was created for and by are the vilified.

As to "how many Kings they are catching" the Kings aren't stocked into that river, as they are also an enhanced, via hatchery run, they return to different areas.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

I understand the frustration when the commfish guys catch all the fish, but I agree...this is an artificial run created for and probably paid for by them. Hard to get mad about them getting first dibs.

Actually I was told there was a natural run of reds but the commfish guys poisened the runs so they could plant the larger reds from the kenai as they are a bigger salmon. They also put a gate across the creek to stop the spawn so they can scoop them up and easier to collect the eggs. They also poisened the lake to kill all the rainbows and dollies as they eat all salmon eggs. So they took a natural run and manipulated it for there commerical use. Dont get me wrong, a person has to make a living. My point was before you throw $100 buck in gas in to come down you be aware its slim pickins.

Quote Originally Posted by bitterrooter89 View Post
    Actually I was told there was a natural run of reds but the commfish guys poisened the runs so they could plant the larger reds from the kenai as they are a bigger salmon. They also put a gate across the creek to stop the spawn so they can scoop them up and easier to collect the eggs.

If we're taking "I was told" as gospel, then by all means I hope you have a blast fishing alongside the Tooth Fairy and Santa Claus...Be careful tho' I've been told the Easter Bunny has been known to drink too much Green Bubble Up and winds up puking out his Rainbow Stew.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

It's a 100% commercial fishery!!! A private hatchery stocked those fish so they could harvest them when they return. It's called "capitalism". You may have heard of it. Any recreational harvest is a bonus, not a requirement, of that fishery.

To counter your claims of the seiners getting all of the fish, I've fished many days when the seiners were working and I see fish caught all the time. Lots of limits in there, too. Last week I was there with the seiners and got my limit in under an hour.

I won't even bother discussing your "poison" claims because it sounds like a load of hooey written by someone who not only doesn't understand the fishery but is probably upset at getting skunked. And if they want to put up a gate to capture THEIR SALMON, I have no problem with it. They're still giving us a chance to fill the freezer when they're under ZERO responsibility to do so.

Instead of blaming someone else for your failure to get a fish, maybe look in the mirror and try to figure out why the fellow looking back didn't change his strategy and/or timing.

This link will take you to a report that tells a bit about the past management of the Bear Lake fisheries and enhancement:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDF...2A.2001.19.pdf

On page 20 it states: " The history of the Bear Lake sockeye salmon run is quite unique. Efforts were made by ADF&G, until about the mid-1980's, to eradicate the naturally occurring sockeye salmon run in order to maximize coho salmon production."

Exclamation

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fms-006.pdf, Some people with serious anger issues on here. Oh and my freezer is full already. Sorry for trying to be helpful

Quote Originally Posted by bitterrooter89 View Post
    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FedAidPDFs/fms-006.pdf, Some people with serious anger issues on here. Oh and my freezer is full already. Sorry for trying to be helpful

That link you posted illustrates that Bear Lake was poisoned to sterilize it so that Coho (Silver Salmon) could then be stocked in there to enhance the SPORT Fishery in Res. Bay.

Wasn't the "evil" comm guys....It was the greedy Sport guys.....

Ya know, the same type that whine because the Comm guys have the audacity to catch the fish intended to earn a living for them and feed their families....

If your freezer is full already, why where you snagging for sockeye?

bitterrooter89: Yeah, your posts definitely show anger issues. Wild claims simply because you didn't catch any fish. While everyone I know is catching fish there like crazy even when the seiners are active. And re-read your posts - you're slamming a private hatchery for catching their own fish while they're being gracious enough to let you catch some in the process.

But it's good to hear you're staying away as that leaves more fish and fun for the rest of us!!

I apologize for my post. I did not know the fishery was paid for by the comm guys and failed to research it before I spoke. In this case, I agree with the rest of you. The comm fleet should have first crack and the sport guys should feel lucky to utilize the resource. Again, I'm sorry. I'll eat crow on this one.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    I apologize for my post. I did not know the fishery was paid for by the comm guys and failed to research it before I spoke. In this case, I agree with the rest of you. The comm fleet should have first crack and the sport guys should feel lucky to utilize the resource. Again, I'm sorry. I'll eat crow on this one.
    Rep incoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Nice. I'll second AlaskaHippie's rep for ya'.

i am just kinda upset they tried to kill the run to enhance silvers..............I had heard that before but actually reading it was hard to take. How does killing lake spawners make room for river spawners? I dont' get the logic behind this one any one care to explain it to me?

There used to be steelhead in Bear Creek before they rotenoned it.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

i thought there still was a very "small" run in the fall??????