Thread: Prince of Wales flies

Default Prince of Wales flies

Hi all, new to the board.

I'm from dallas, and am planning on being in POW the last weekend in july. I know that this is kind of a dead time for salmon, but I am planning on spending 3-4 days wandering about trying to find some salmon. I am perfectly satisfied catching 10-20 inch cutties or rainbows or dollies as well.

I've never fished salmon (other than foul hooking some while fishing rainbows in kamchatka), and am tying patterns for the trip at this point.

One suggested pattern was to tie fall favorites, so i've done this with orange wing and red hackle in # 4 and #2. Any other suggestions re: color or size. Is this a good pattern for salmon in the area???

I am trying to figure out a good smolt pattern for bows/cutties/dollies as well, and am looking to do some thunder creeks. Does anyone have any suggestions on size, which color bucktail and body?? I'd like to weight them, but would love a suggestion on whether trying to do a lead wrap body or dumbell within the head would be best. Do salmon eat the smolting salmon???

Any other salmon patterns would be appreciated.

I got a load of bead eggs as well for those trout.

all help appreciated greatly.

any thoughts on above??? any idea about rivers around klawock area with good shots at salmon the last w/e in july???

thanks in advance
    brad from dallas

Lots of ground there man.
    Look at Klawock River, Harris River, Thorne River, Staney Cr.,Logjam cr., Yatuk Cr., Karta River (if you're willing), A couple of those creeks between the Control Lake Y and Klawock (steelhead? and black bear? creeks?)

As for flies, that depends a lot on how you like to fish and what you like to fish. For salmon: ESLs, bunny leeches-hareball and llamas, intruders, wogs, flash flies, are usually the most common. Bring them in blue,black, pink, chartruese, pink, white, purple. Dollies and Cuts will be in a LOT of the lakes around, and most of the streams. Drys and nymphs in various shapes and sizes. Hares ear, prince, pheasant tail, elk hair caddis, royal coachmens (wet and dry), wulffs, etc etc. Cutties are usually hungry and will slurp up dries like crazy in the evenings.

Most of the water there is relatively shallow, and where it's deep it's usually slow. I suspect dumbell eyes will get the job done, bring some shot for those instances when it won't.

Late July you should be able to fish the estuaries for some silvers on the incoming tide. My personal favorite is a clouser minnow. Chartruese/white and pink/white #2 should work fine. Purple ESL's are also extremely popular. Dollies, Cutts, Pinks, Cohos... any of them will hit the flies listed.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

thanks icb and ak boater.

couple more detailed questions:

for POW salmon that time of year, with the ESL and regular leaches, are you talking long articulated patterns or smaller single hook lower profile flies???

for the rainbows, cutts and dollies, are you talking using articulated patterns (ie longer) or just regular ones???

i'm going to be playing around with the two hander for the salmon on water big enough to support doing so. any thoughts on rivers with enough flow and width to support swinging a leach/salmon streamer to salmon, or on rivers that I can swing/strip flies to bows/cutts/dollies.

for estuaries on the incoming for silvers, can you access the river/ocean interface from roads?? it looks like a bit of a hike to get to the ocean from the main road headed up island.

I still have some flesh flies that I tied for kamchatka years ago. Any utility in trying these??? by late july, early august, has anything died in the river to make the bow/cutt/dollies key in on flesh??

I have some nice mice also that I tied up for russia. anyone think that there are any fish agressive enough or big enough to wallop these, or should I leave them home??

I'm putting aside the "fall favorites" and starting to hit the leaches hard. I found that maribou leaches in russia caught more that bunny leaches, any one have any comments about alaska fish and bunny vs maribou???

final question?? is there any reason why salmon flies have an up-eye??? is this a "requirement" on salmon streamers?? i have tied some on conventional streamer hooks with standard hook eyes, on gamakat "stinger" hooks with regular eyes, and some with down eyes, but was curious about the differences and preferences.

thanks again

brad

I'd fish clousers in saltwater for all species... you could possibly pick up a king some silvers, lingcod, halibut, rockfish etc. you could definately get into some humpies and in salt water they are pretty fun... maybe some chums around too... i'd rent a skiff

the mice are useless in southeast, russia is a whole nother ball game, 2 and 3 wts with small wet flies are the best for streams
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Fished Klawock R, Harris R, & Staney Cr mid August last year. Gajillion pinks and a few chums, but silvers were late last year as far as the rivers go. Pinks will often hit anything but chart/white clouser with a little sparkle was the best fly while we were there. Pinks and purples too. If you're doing any spinning a 1/8 steelhead type jig under a small clear bobber drifted along creases was killer. Trout mainly in the lakes dollies in with the salmon in the rivers. Pretty easy to walk to mouth of Harris & Staney. Be prepared to see lots of black bears.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post

the mice are useless in southeast,
    99.9999% of the time.. But there's that one day where it happens and it makes your day just F###ing EPIC.

Long shot for sure though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinerbock View Post
    thanks icb and ak boater.

couple more detailed questions:

for POW salmon that time of year, with the ESL and regular leaches, are you talking long articulated patterns or smaller single hook lower profile flies??? SMALLER SINGLE HOOK.

for the rainbows, cutts and dollies, are you talking using articulated patterns (ie longer) or just regular ones??? REGULAR

i'm going to be playing around with the two hander for the salmon on water big enough to support doing so. any thoughts on rivers with enough flow and width to support swinging a leach/salmon streamer to salmon, or on rivers that I can swing/strip flies to bows/cutts/dollies. NO. LEAVE IT AT HOME.

for estuaries on the incoming for silvers, can you access the river/ocean interface from roads?? SOME - YES. LOOK AT A MAP. it looks like a bit of a hike to get to the ocean from the main road headed up island. IN GENERAL, IF THERE IS NO TRAIL, FORGET IT.

I still have some flesh flies that I tied for kamchatka years ago. Any utility in trying these??? NO. by late july, early august, has anything died in the river to make the bow/cutt/dollies key in on flesh?? NO. NOT IN SEAK.

I have some nice mice also that I tied up for russia. anyone think that there are any fish agressive enough or big enough to wallop these, or should I leave them home?? HAVE HEARD RUMORS OF CUTTS GOING AFTER THEM, BUT NEVER HAD A FOLLOW/STRIKE ONCE MYSELF ON A MOUSE.

I'm putting aside the "fall favorites" and starting to hit the leaches hard. I found that maribou leaches in russia caught more that bunny leaches, any one have any comments about alaska fish and bunny vs maribou??? BOTH HAVE WORKED.

final question?? is there any reason why salmon flies have an up-eye??? NO REASON I KNOW OF. is this a "requirement" on salmon streamers?? NO i have tied some on conventional streamer hooks with standard hook eyes, on gamakat "stinger" hooks with regular eyes, and some with down eyes, but was curious about the differences and preferences. I PREFER THE UP OR STRAIGHT EYE, BUT THAT IS ONLY FOR WRAPPING/TYING OFF THE HEAD A LITTLE EASIER.

thanks again

brad
    Answers to your quests, in CAPS, above.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    99.9999% of the time.. But there's that one day where it happens and it makes your day just F###ing EPIC.

Long shot for sure though.
    frogs might work...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.