Thread: Unit 13B, Getting a griz, while hunting moose!

Default Unit 13B, Getting a griz, while hunting moose!

I drew a moose tag (DM333) for down in unit 13B. It's an any bull tag, and I was hoping to get a shot at a griz. Could anyone help out and let me know what I need to do and where back in there do I need to go to try and get a bear. Not looking at taking anyone's spot or take any secret areas away, so PM me if you don't want everyone to find out. I just want to try my hand at hunting a griz. So any info is better than what I got right now.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Try any of the trails off the Denali Highway, get above treeline and glass for moose and bear. Interior grizzlies have a larger range than peninsula bears, since food sources in the Interior are less concentrated, and the bears cover a lot of territory. You won't be alone hunting the Denali, but the farther from the trail you get, the less hunters you'll see.

Find a good vantage point and glass, glass, glass. If you shoot a moose, watch the gutpile for a grizz to show up.

My hunting partner and I spent 8 days in 13B last September. We glassed a lot and saw exactly zero grizzlies. There not behind every bush, just keep glassing. Heard about a guy who shot a dandy grizz earlier in the season in the same drainage we hunted for moose.

Good luck filling your tags!

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    I drew a moose tag (DM333) for down in unit 13B. It's an any bull tag, and I was hoping to get a shot at a griz. Could anyone help out and let me know what I need to do and where back in there do I need to go to try and get a bear. Not looking at taking anyone's spot or take any secret areas away, so PM me if you don't want everyone to find out. I just want to try my hand at hunting a griz. So any info is better than what I got right now.
    Between our group last yr we/well they saw 3 on the Spetember hunt I had DM 333 as well. On the early August hunt they had last year we saw 3 as well on this hunt we were in another area. The September hunt the bears were in there due to all the caribou back there. Matter of fact I walked in on a fresh caribou kill, I chased the bear off of the kill. Needless to say I got the heck out of there real quick.

There are no secrets to give away for grizz in unit 13. They are in the unit and you need to be above treeline to see them and make a stalk. Even when above treeline the brush is still pretty hi and you can and will lose them in it. I was with 323 last year and missed out on a dandy silver tip on day one of our hunt due to it coming down hill into thicker/higher vegetation.

Another option is to get a moose down then sit on the gut pile till one comes in.

Most times I hunted moose/caribou GMU 13 I saw grizzly bears within stalkable range, sometimes legal boars, sometimes sows (off limits) with cubs, or both, but ALWAYS just a few days, or one day before season opener, of course I never saw them again. That was one thing that really irked me about brown season and a having a valid caribou tag, ADFG just didn't have the sense to coincide the two openers back when I spent alot of time there.

These were bears I spotted while looking for other animals, I am sure that if I spent time specificaly looking for bears I would have seen more.