Thread: Gulkana Kings?

Default Gulkana Kings?

Anyone know anything on water level, run strength, etc.?

Default Gulkana River

The river is looking very good guys. Last weekend was our first real busy weekend with rentals. The water has cleared up and is a little high but very fish-able. Our clients are landing Kings in the lower section from Saliors Pit down and we are seeing some early and very bright Reds in the river as well. I expect the early Kings will start to be hooked in the Poplar Grove section this weekend and Sourdough soon as well. I was down at the bridge this morning and watched a Happy Camper land a nice King in the 30+ pound range from the bank!

Lots of fun and the weather has been very good!

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    Rafts, Canoes and Camps
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-822-4290

Good to hear, thanks!

Kings are in the river though I would say it isn't to hot. I know some guys are hooking up at the mouth and we boated some on the 8th and again on the 11th in the lower river. Pressure has picked up in the last few days so I guess the word is out. Sure wish fishing was like it was even 4-5 years ago when 10-12 fish days weren't out of the question. Maybe things will turn around. I have heard the F&G will be watching close this year (based on tower counts) and will be shutting down if need be, no waiting until after the 4th to let everyone wack a king. Sure wish I knew what I am doing wrong, 30 lb. Kings??? In 11 years on the river I have only seen about 8 fish over thirty pounds, the biggest at 41 and the rest in the mid 30's. I would say the average Gulkana fish is about 20-25 lbs. with 30 plus being a rarity. So far this year the ones we kept were 16 and 21 respectively. Good fishing and remember to pickup some litter if you have a chance.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

This one was probably in the 40 lb. range, my scale was holding a five year old kid in one hand and the fish in the other.

Paxson to sourdough with the scouts next week, hopefully we can pick up a fish or two.

Quote Originally Posted by cory100 View Post
    Maybe things will turn around. I have heard the F&G will be watching close this year (based on tower counts) and will be shutting down if need be, no waiting until after the 4th to let everyone wack a king.
    It would join a growing list. Deja vu?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Is there any boat restrictions on the Guldana, never fished it? would like to try a new spot with the little sue closing and everyone headed to the deshka, just looking for options....

Kings and Reds

Wednesday was a very good day with better King numbers coming in and the reds have picked up a bunch. Water level was getting low but Thursday it rained all day and night. I dropped 2 groups off this morning about 7 am and was pleased to see good flow and the water was looking good with very littlle muddy water at all, should be a good day as well.

Rafts are the best way to fish this river but you can run small jet boats up it as well, I will be the guy throwing rocks at you as you blast on by!

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Kings and Red

Rafts are the best way to fish this river but you can run small jet boats up it as well, I will be the guy throwing rocks at you as you blast on by!
    With your report you better get a sling shot!

What's the latest report?

Quote Originally Posted by scott_rn View Post
    This one was probably in the 40 lb. range, my scale was holding a five year old kid in one hand and the fish in the other.

Paxson to sourdough with the scouts next week, hopefully we can pick up a fish or two.
    Ha... how funny... Sourdough is my favorite campground up that way. There is a trail that runs behind the campground. I think we usually stay at #28 or #25 or so... great little trail, tons of blueberries and access to the creek and river. Quiet up there after the fourth of July too. Jealous, I haven't gotten out to fish for salmon yet this year. Nice one!

Fish Counts on the Gulkana

Well the log-jam of Kings that have been hanging around the lower Gulkana have hit the counting tower. To date 800+ kings have passed the tower and 300 sailed passed on the 26th. The Reds are at 28,000 past and on the 26th 800 slipped past the tower.

My groups are doing well hooking (and releasing) plenty of Kings and the Reds have slower a bit in the past 2 days. This morning looks better with the Reds piled up below Sailorís Pit in the deeper holes.

Well enjoy your outings this week and see ya on the water!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    www.gulkanaraftrental.com
    907-822-4290

I run an air boat throwgh a rock at me & see if the wind comes up.