Thread: Trophy 2359 Hard Top owners

Default Trophy 2359 Hard Top owners

Anbody out there with this boat can you send me a pm or post here. I'd love to know your thoughts.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Hi Warrior, I have the Trophy 2459 with the complete cabin, not just the hardtop. I really like mine, because it is an I/0 it even comes with a 2 speed heater. And the wife is happy because it has a table, stove top and ice box and a porta potty in the v berth area. Here in Alaska I wanted to have an enclosed cabin and haven't been sorry.

Tlingitwarrior,
    Check out this bayliner site. If you have specific questions, they should be able to assist you.
    http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/
    BK

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I've had my 2359 for 6 years. In my opinion, the 5.0 is a little underpowered for the boat, especially with a load of fish on the swim step. I re-powered with a 350 MAG, and it's all good! The cabin is great to be able to get out of the weather, the wife enjoys it much more than my Hewescraft with a ragtop.

tlingitwarrior,

I thought you had a 22' SeaSport Diesel...?

Sobie2

I just bought a 2008 2359 back in December. It has the 5.0 MPI engine and Bravo 3 outdrive. It's a bit sluggish getting up on step, but once it does, it rides great. Worst weather I've been in is 4'-5' seas in PWS. It actually took the waves better than I expected.

It planes out at about 14kt, and burns 12gph @ 25kt. Top speed is about 35kt. I've heard that the Alpha outdrives don't perform as well.

Hello I bought my 2359 brand new in 2004 and love everything about it. I have the 5.0 bravo 1 and it was under powered when there was any win or strong tides or if i had a load of fish on the swim deck, i had to re-prop my and it has more than enough power. It came with a 21 pitch and I ended up with a 15 pitch and everything is great now and has been since then the swap. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. The only thing is that I wish the made the same boat in a 26 to 30 footer.

Later
    Moose

Hi Moose, Going from a 21 pitch to a 15 pitch is quite a drop, how did that affect your top end?

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    tlingitwarrior,

I thought you had a 22' SeaSport Diesel...?

Sobie2
    Sold the boat a few months ago. I think the 27 Pilot or Navigator is the boat for me. Know of one for sale?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by Moose381 View Post
    Hello I bought my 2359 brand new in 2004 and love everything about it. I have the 5.0 bravo 1 and it was under powered when there was any win or strong tides or if i had a load of fish on the swim deck, i had to re-prop my and it has more than enough power. It came with a 21 pitch and I ended up with a 15 pitch and everything is great now and has been since then the swap. If you have any questions feel free to PM me. The only thing is that I wish the made the same boat in a 26 to 30 footer.

Later
    Moose
    Yeah, second that wish for a 26 foot Trophy, just recently I discovered Bayliner made a 28 foot Trophy Hardtop for few years in the mid-80's, one for sale in Seward right now. But like most 28 footers more boat than I want for my use, permit required, and twins. Just too much boat.
    I sure like Hardtops, prefer that over a flying bridge myself. Now...... for a total hijack, what about those 26 foot explorers............?
    I have seen a few of those repowered with a little more oooommph........and have heard they do OK................?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Sold the boat a few months ago. I think the 27 Pilot or Navigator is the boat for me. Know of one for sale?
    How about these:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2366387410.html
    http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Se...2700/114634241
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998.../United-States

Those 27 Pilot House sure are nice boats. Good luck in your search and be sure to let us know what you end up with.

AKgramps....Have you looked at the 2859? I like the layout of the boats as it provides lots of room for family but your right, they are alot a boat.

Patrick,
    i have looked at the 2859's, nice boat, but generally out of my price range and too much boat for living in the interior and as little use as I could give it at this time.......................The construction buis is the wrong ocupation if you want to enjoy summers in AK....How about this SS............http://juneau.craigslist.org/boa/2440417433.html

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    How about these:
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/2366387410.html
    http://www.boats.com/boat-details/Se...2700/114634241
    http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1998.../United-States

Those 27 Pilot House sure are nice boats. Good luck in your search and be sure to let us know what you end up with.

AKgramps....Have you looked at the 2859? I like the layout of the boats as it provides lots of room for family but your right, they are alot a boat.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Hello Paster Bob I lost about 4-5 mph at top end but the boat jumps out of the water. I feel it is worth the lower top end speed.

Later Moose

I have a 2007 2359 Hardtop. I think it's a good boat and I haven't had too many problems. The gas cap had to be swapped out due to water getting in it as a design flaw. A small piece of the top eggshelled about the size of a pencil eraser. I contacted the factory and they sent me all the stuff to fix it for free. I have the Bravo III with the 5.0 mpi. Like others say its a little sluggish to get the bow to lay down but once it does, it winds up it goes great. I cruise at 3200-3400 rpm, 10-11 gpm and 25-28 mph. Top end on the speedo is over 45 mph. It's pretty comfortable with V-Birth, a bed under the table and a table that folds into a bed. Flushing crapper is nice, sink with cold water, refrige, wash down deck pump, 2 fish holds, a live bait well I use as a trash can. I don't think they made the 2359 hardtop this year? It's the only model I would own in AK.

http://www.trophyfishing.com/index.asp
    I have also owned the '84 model 28' Trophy hardtop. I liked it but it was more of a hassle to trailer having to get permits. Also burned more fuel and was older with the problems you get from a 27 year old boat that has had a life on the salt.

Matt- I have the same boat same year and the water thing has baffled me! The gas cap leaks water?? I even have a racor pre-water seperator in front of the merc one. What did you replace it with? Stainless one?

I had the same issue and did a pile of testing to try to figure it out prior to calling the factory. I pressured up the tanks, stuffed paper towel in the fill tube and did every type of water application I could think of. The only thing I discovered was that when I left the paper towel in, water would slowly seep in through the internal vents when it puddled during rain. They sent me a whole new assembly that is stainless free of charge. You will have to fill in a few screw holes that will not be visible so have them throw in a gel coat repair kit as well. Good thing to have for any nicks or dings too. They were great to deal with in my opinion which is another positive. I haven't had a problem since I did this. Give em a call:

Trophy Sportfishing Boats of Brunswick Family Boat Co. Inc.
    17825 59th Ave NE
    Arlington, WA 98223
    Phone (360) 435-5571

Also, if you have the 5.0 MPI with the air pump drain system...don't overtighten the blue drain plug where the water drains out of the orange hoses. Mine developed a hairline split and a leak into the bilge. I pulled it out and took it to CAC plastics in Wasilla. They attempted to fix it but it didn't totally hold, about half the split sealed up. I added some plastic welder to their glue job and built it up and haven't had a problem. The unit is around $300 to replace the housing and I was too impatient to wait for one to be ordered. Plus my 80 year old assistant/neighbor said "Thats a **** waste a money, boy. Get down in there an fix that sob". The housing is plastic and I have read others have done this overtighten on other boating forums. The engine is a ^%$#^# to work on due to the tight space around the top. I pulled the batteries to work through the battery hatch to remove it.

Thanks for the info I will call them Monday! I do have the air pump drain system and will keep the plug tightening in mind. I too have had to go through the battery box to get to the Factory water seperator. Tight is an understatement..... I changed the filter there and didn't realize that the Merc monitoring system will actually alarm when the bowl fills with H2O. Speaking of water, have you noticed if the water drain around the battery hatch actually drains out through the drain hole instead of directly into the battery compartment like mine?? The drain hose from mine makes an upward bend over the top of one of the crapper tankhoses on it's way to the port side scupper drain. I am not sure if they are all like that but it is an obvious mistake and it is going to be war to change it unless I can find some 4 inch elves to get in there.

Same issue with the water on the battery box. I bought some weather stripping gasket material and ran it around the whole hatch to make a seal. I'll have to look at the routing and see now that you mention it. An elevated drain is not the smartest thing. Also why didn't they put the fish well drain pumps in the bottom vs the side? The pumps cavitate and leave a few inches of water in there. I keep a hand bilge pump in one to totally get them dry.

You also may want to check the fitting that comes out of the outdrive to the hose that connects to the lube monitor bottle. Another fun one to get to. Mine broke last year and dumped the oil in the bilge while I was cruising. Thanks for smartcraft or I would have never known. It appeared that whover routed it did a shotty job and had a strong bend on the plastic fitting. I moved it around some when I installed the new one to take all the stress off the fitting.