Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Valley for Kings

  1. #1
    Member Theone2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Valley,Alaska
    Posts
    229

    Default Valley for Kings

    I live in the valley, I have no Boat. What would be the best drainage to fish off shore for Kings right now??
    I was planning on going up to the little sue on the parks to see if any Kings were in up there yet.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    181

    Default

    All the usual suspects,(Willow,Sheep, ect....) Not sure if anyone has caught any up there. If the are coming you should be able to see them this weekend.

  3. #3
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    The fishing in those areas has been poo poo to say it best. There have been fish caught on the little su but the numbers I am hearing of are not great. I havent heard of any at willow and only a handful at sheep. I also havent heard of them getting to the trail race yet either.

  4. #4
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    I have fished the tailrace everyday and have yet to see a fish even roll. The big su is really low, but there are a few fish around. But not in the numbers they should be. I am expecting to see parks highway stream closures pretty soon. On the bright side, the dolly fishing up there has been awesome
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  5. #5
    Member germe1967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Palmer, Alaska
    Posts
    151

    Default

    I believe the Willow Creek numbers will get up there by the end of this weekend. I looked over my wife's notes and my own for the last three years. And the weeks up till the third weekend of June just stunk. Then it opened up pretty decent. Nobody hauling any records in, but good king fishing. Its just patience. I'm going to camp out at Willow this weekend and try to get three myself. And my wife is gonna do the same!!!

  6. #6
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post
    I believe the Willow Creek numbers will get up there by the end of this weekend. I looked over my wife's notes and my own for the last three years. And the weeks up till the third weekend of June just stunk. Then it opened up pretty decent. Nobody hauling any records in, but good king fishing. Its just patience. I'm going to camp out at Willow this weekend and try to get three myself. And my wife is gonna do the same!!!
    Let us know how you do.

  7. #7
    Member power drifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Down wind of 2 Glaciers
    Posts
    1,088

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by germe1967 View Post
    I believe the Willow Creek numbers will get up there by the end of this weekend. I looked over my wife's notes and my own for the last three years. And the weeks up till the third weekend of June just stunk. Then it opened up pretty decent. Nobody hauling any records in, but good king fishing. Its just patience. I'm going to camp out at Willow this weekend and try to get three myself. And my wife is gonna do the same!!!
    FYI only 2 kings can be in possession

  8. #8
    Member c6 batmobile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Interior
    Posts
    2,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    FYI only 2 kings can be in possession
    I thought if you cleaned and froze it you could technically have more than 2. I dont know for sure I just thought I heard someone say that this is done.

  9. #9
    Member AlaskaHippie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Beaver Fork
    Posts
    3,853

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I thought if you cleaned and froze it you could technically have more than 2. I dont know for sure I just thought I heard someone say that this is done.

    If they're frozen....They're no longer in possession.

    Realizing you're new to fishing up here I'd offer the advice of reading, and comprehending the regs and not going by "I thought I heard someone say" (be it in person or on the interweb)....No Enforcement Officer or Judge is gonna say "oh, well since you 'heard' that, we'll go with what they said as opposed to the law".....No offense intended.

    The Devil's in the details....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

  10. #10
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I thought if you cleaned and froze it you could technically have more than 2. I dont know for sure I just thought I heard someone say that this is done.
    Hard to freeze something when your camping....... Technically it has to be preserved in a manner that would render it edible after a period of 14 days. Dry ice doesn't cut it.

  11. #11
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I was tent camping at Klutina this weekend, caught fridays limit, filleted them and had them on ice in the cooler, best I could do for the weekend. Had one on the stringer saturday, trooper asked if i had any more from friday and I told him that I did. He checked my cooler and gave me a $110 dollar ticket for over possesion by one fish. Make sure they are canned, jarred or smoked! Or stored in a freezer somewhere!

  12. #12
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    well that was dumb to say you did.
    Semper Fi!

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    squarebanks
    Posts
    23

    Default

    To all it may apply,

    PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE REGULATIONS. they are in place to protect our finite resources and ensure future returns for generations to follow. trying to squeeze those extra one or two fish past the troopers isnt just against the law it is a sign of poor stewardship and a failure as a true outdoorsman. dont be one of those guys

    tight lines everyone

    -Emmett

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EMMETT View Post
    To all it may apply,

    PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE REGULATIONS. they are in place to protect our finite resources and ensure future returns for generations to follow. trying to squeeze those extra one or two fish past the troopers isnt just against the law it is a sign of poor stewardship and a failure as a true outdoorsman. dont be one of those guys

    tight lines everyone

    -Emmett
    Gotta ask...Would it make a fisherman a Better Steward, if they froze or salted the extra fish or two, as opposed to sneaking them out in a cooler?
    I have always thought the law was a dumb one. Alaskan's should be able to fill their dietary needs, in as few trips as possible, imo. That means, if they can catch all their needs in one trip, they should be allowed to do so. Most guys/gals I know make it a meat run, and not a fishing trip.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    194

    Default

    When they say preserved, they mean frozen hard like a rock. We usually take fish to the nearest processor and have it vac sealed and flash frozen. I don't know if Copper Center or Glenallen have processors that take sport fish, however. We usually fish there on our way to or from Valdez.

    preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.

  16. #16
    Member bigcox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    Posts
    1,397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    When they say preserved, they mean frozen hard like a rock. We usually take fish to the nearest processor and have it vac sealed and flash frozen. I don't know if Copper Center or Glenallen have processors that take sport fish, however. We usually fish there on our way to or from Valdez.

    preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted.
    I believe all three campgrounds there have freezers. They charge a nominal fee to have your fish frozen solid and out of possesion. I was just down there for three days and brought home limits from each day legally by putting those fish in the freezer and having them frozen solid before I fished the next day. I also consider it a freezer filler run and it beats the hell out of fishing Chitina. Makes it a lot more fun freezer filling with a fly rod then with a heavy dipnet. I agree, we should all read the regs closely but even the best of us can make a mistake once and awhile. I'm glad the troopers were out and checking.

    Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...


    http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

  17. #17
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    well that was dumb to say you did.

    No kidding!!!!! If a trooper asks you any questions just say no! Unless if he asks if you have your license. The less you say to the mthe better off you are, they nit pick every thing to give out tickets!

  18. #18

    Default

    Since there is an annual limit of 4 king salmon in the Upper Copper River, wouldn't the trooper see that fish were caught the day before? How would lying help the situation? I have a lot of respect for Nick52 for being honest and for his post which was respectful and served as a warning to others. Thanks Nick.

  19. #19
    Member Raptor_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    1,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Alaskan's should be able to fill their dietary needs, in as few trips as possible, imo. That means, if they can catch all their needs in one trip, they should be allowed to do so.
    They can. It's called dip netting
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

  20. #20
    Member kenaibow fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    In a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    Since there is an annual limit of 4 king salmon in the Upper Copper River, wouldn't the trooper see that fish were caught the day before? How would lying help the situation? I have a lot of respect for Nick52 for being honest and for his post which was respectful and served as a warning to others. Thanks Nick.
    well they might have been reds, he didn't say. It doesn't matter when they were caught, it matters how they are stored. Lying would have saved the guy 110.00 for some thing I think we can all agree wasn't an issue. He wasn't taking more then his limit, he was just trying to put fish in the freezer. Now if he had like a bunch over his daily limit, or in his possesion and the fish was going to go to waste then yeah sure write the guy a ticket but in this case I really don't think the trooper should have wrote the guy a ticket. He should have taken the time to explain the regs and let the guy off with a "warning". And for those who will say he was just doing his job.......right I get that, but tickets are discretionary....he could have done his job with out writing a citation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •