Thread: Halibut trip close to Anchor Point

Default Halibut trip close to Anchor Point

Well the second attempt to catch halibut from a kayak was a success! Only took about 17 and half hours in the kayak over 3 days lol! I have a few pics. It was a blast caught 4 halibut first a 8, 10, 12 and then the final one was a 27 pound halibut. The week before in the same area we caught a 8 pound halibut from shore, dropping the line about 100 yards off shore.

The kayak is a http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/angler_editions/malibu_two_xl_angler.html My wife and I are able to go out in it and it is a great one person kayak too. We went about a mile and half off shore in about 60 ft of water. Caught some halibut in about 35 ft of water and the one from shore was in water only about 15 ft deep.

Great report! Way to go get'em! Went two weeks ago. Nothing...almost literally. One irish lord for 6 hours on the water. This weekend I cheated and went on a powerboat to test a camera system. Hope to be back down this coming weekend.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Way to go get em dudemandude.And it only took 17 hours---that's not too bad.Have you caught any kings in that boat yet ? I have down in Grays Harbor,Wa. but not up here yet.(heavy on the yet part)
    I 'll be working on catching kings on the lower Kenai and maybe the Kasilof as well in the next 3 weeks.It should be interesting.I might have to hook up with kardinal-84 and do the salt again also.He is a lot of fun to fish with.He's also a little crazy--in a good way. (you're welcome Rudy)
    Last edited by Mark Collett; 06-13-2011 at 14:49. Reason: More stuff

Haha yeah nice mark! I haven't caught a king yet. but we will see. Mark if you remember I used to work at Tarmac camp, are you still working out of Tarmac camp? Look me up sometime if you can, I will be at ACI (Arctic Caribou Inn) for the rest of the summer. Good luck fishing!

They do Salmon Shark fishing from Kayaks out of Valdez.

Great job..
    looking forward to this summer in the kayak on cook lnlet
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Collett View Post
    Way to go get em dudemandude.And it only took 17 hours---that's not too bad.Have you caught any kings in that boat yet ? I have down in Grays Harbor,Wa. but not up here yet.(heavy on the yet part)
    I 'll be working on catching kings on the lower Kenai and maybe the Kasilof as well in the next 3 weeks.It should be interesting.I might have to hook up with kardinal-84 and do the salt again also.He is a lot of fun to fish with.He's also a little crazy--in a good way. (you're welcome Rudy)
    Hey now! That HURTS! Then again my momma did often scream at me that "son, truth hurts." lol.

Yah, let's hook up. Watching the weather. Would like to try and get a day this weekend. I want to try a crazy early launch, use the lights near shore a few hours and make sure I hit the good early bite (or so the theory goes). Now how my body is going to do that...I dunno... I will know more later in the week.

Oops...sorry to hijack the thread. NICE 'BUTTS!