Thread: Gulkana River

Talking Gulkana River

Anyone ever fish the Gulkana River for Kings or Reds? I would like to make a run down and fish from a jet boat around Sourdough.

Anywhere around the 4th is the best time. Just head up river to the forks if you don't mind crowds and you will get in the kings. Look for pools below there where the reds are stacking up.

Default Jet?

You ever run a jet boat up there....I have a 20' Sprint with a 135 Jet, runs great in about 6 - 10 inches of water.

Deepending on water level you might want to have some experience running a jet boat before trying it on there. When the water is low the boulders can become hull an djet magnets! Seen more than one flat bottem floating down river minus its engines. Beautifull river and great fishing though!

Default Gulkanna River June 5

I just came from the Gulkanna 2 days ago. I have a cabin just off of the river and was openibg it up fro the summer. There are very few folks fishing yet as it is early. The water is muddy and very low for this time of year. They have had almost NO rain this spring and the river is low. The kings are still down river and I would guess 2 weeks befor they hit with any big numbers. There was a guy running a small jet boat up from the bridge but he was not having any luck yet. Reds are late June-early July. I would give it a try in 10 days and who knows?

Northwestalaska
    www.northwestalaska.com