Thread: New to saltwater fishing

Cool New to saltwater fishing

Ive been out 3 times so far...just tryin out different spots on the gps...ive fished the narrows, all around chevelle on the south west end of the res bay...been into aialik bay 3 hole bay inside aialik...didnt have too much luck on anything....thinking i need to go further north in aialik bay...or try the next bay over?...any suggestions?? on a general direction...outta seward....dont have to give me your spot unless you dont mind...haha...much appreciated!

You should have been able to get some rock fish around Aialik. I've never had the success on halibut that others have reported, but it might be because I was trying it the wrong time of year. I did quickly limit out on yellow eye, and since I was fishing before July 1, had to let alot of nice ling cod go. You should try the 50 fathom line around the points of the bays/coves. You might want to try day harbor for halibut.

The narrows are great for silvers, early to mid July on into August, you're just too early for silvers.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

East is best.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

I've had good luck with halibut out from Hub Rock in Aialik about 300' deep. They were mostly 15-30 lbs, occasionally larger. Also about the same depth in Johnstone Bay to the east. Good luck.

thanks guys!...now im gonna do some more studying see what i can do!!