Thread: I need the best chater boat out of whitter!

Default I need the best chater boat out of whitter!

I'm helping friends plan a day fishing trip out of Whitter this July. Money is secondary too comfort and success. Halibut is first but other fish desired. Any recommendation on who to go with.
    Since I have never chartered out of Whitter, I would also like to get opinions as to what to expect compared to fishing our of Seward.
    Thanks in Advance for your assistance.
    Jim

Here are three that come to mind:

http://www.fishwhittier.com/

http://www.alaskan4starcharters.com/

http://www.pwseco.com/faq.html

All three of these outfits will put you on fish, but Matt with fish whittier would be my top pick.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Why not go to Seward? By the time you wait for the tunnel, pay for the tunnel, pay to park you can be in Seward cheaper and in the same amount of time. Plus you may have more options for fishing. When I take my own boat if the big ocean is happy I head for Seward rather than Whittier. If the big ocean is not happy then I stick to Whittier.

Ok. Hate to troll the forums, but. Same time to drive to Seward as Whittier once you go through a 3 mile tunnel and park? Day parking and a tunnel fee equal increased gas costs to Seward and parking in Seward? Huh? Weekend traffic to Seward has got to take 2.5 hrs one way. I leave Anchorage at 6:35 get to tunnel no later than 7:35, 12 min drive in the tunnel, all I get is an hour and 15 min to get to Whittier. My math that bad? Or does Polardds have stock in a Seward gas station?

My experience is very limited. I have chartered out of both once. Out of Whittier we went AK four star charters. We had about a 90 minute run in protected water. We limited the boat on 25-35 pound fish (even got to shoot one pushing 100). We had a terrible trip out of Seward with a company that shall remain nameless. Made the run to Montague. Limited the boat with sub 20lb chickens in 30 minutes and Capt. pulled the hook. Was supposed to be a combo for butts and silvers. Capt. got us into Res bay (flat glass) and called it a blow day and took the boat back in. 6 hours of run time for a half hour if fishing. Probably yielded 15 pounds of Hali fillet for $500 (plus gas and lodging). I'm sure both places are great I just had bad time in Seward. I think picking a good Capt. and checking references is the key.

If you factor in launching a boat, driving the trailer across the rr tracks to park it, and walking back to the ramps, Seward is a wash time wise with Whittier, and a wash in $'s: Whittier $20, tunnel, $20 launch, $10 park, Seward no tunnel, $10 launch, $5 park. Then you factor in you can get to fisher closer out of Seward, so save $ on boat fuel.

To the o/p, I haven't chartered out of Whittier, but I have fished out of it for several years. Let's go pluses for Whittier:

It is closer to Anchorage, but time wise can be a wash depending on the tunnel openings. Even if you nail it on the way down and have little to no wait, odds are you won't nail it on the way back and will have a 1/2 hour wait. If there is road construction you didn't account for an you miss the tunnel, you could be sitting for 50 minutes. If there is an unscheluded train going through, that can add another 1/2 hour on either end. You should be able to find parking near the marina since you don't have a trailer, so no long walk nor getting stuck behind a train crossing the tracks. The water is likely to be calmer, you won't have those rollers that Seward almost always has, you may get a true glass calm day, or you may have a chop, expect a chop in the afternoon coming back through passage canal. I'd give PWS the plus on scenery and typically you get more sealife, otters, porpoises, whales.

As to fishing, it can be good if the captain runs out to Montague, but that's a ~3hr boat ride. Even the closer in areas are 2+ hours for good fishing. Depending on the run, there could be some silvers available mid July. That said, I've never had silver fishing in the sound anywhere near as good as Seward. There just don't seem to be the same areas to really concentrate and funnel the fish.

If you're looking for a different local and different scenery, PWS is worth exploring. If you're comparing it strictly on the fishing, I'd say Seward is the better choice.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Default BkBaker sorry I was not clear

If I am going to get to good halibut grounds, like Montague, then I can get there faster by driving to Seward and boating over than I can by going thru the tunnel and boating over. I have more truck time going to Seward which is measured in mpg instead of more miles by boat which is measured in gpm.

Plus the salmon fishing can be closer in and more consistent in Seward. Just my 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    If I am going to get to good halibut grounds, like Montague, then I can get there faster by driving to Seward and boating over than I can by going thru the tunnel and boating over. I have more truck time going to Seward which is measured in mpg instead of more miles by boat which is measured in gpm.

Plus the salmon fishing can be closer in and more consistent in Seward. Just my 2cents.
    Yeh, that seems to be the common thinking. I just shiver to think about the bill filling my truck to tow, then the long burn out to Montague. I bet its pretty even money either way. Cash is tight this summer. I gotta wait for closer fish in the salt water. The silvers do get pretty silly out in Resurrection.

Default Whitter fishing

Thank you all for your comments, you've given me a lot to think about. When I said money was a secondary consideration, I should have stressed that point. I guess to save time we could fly to Seward, Valdez or even Cordova. I didn't realize you need to run so far in a boat out of Whitter. The group I'm helping only has 4 days in Alaska of hich 3 are for outtings.

Quote Originally Posted by jim - alaska View Post
    Thank you all for your comments, you've given me a lot to think about. When I said money was a secondary consideration, I should have stressed that point. I guess to save time we could fly to Seward, Valdez or even Cordova. I didn't realize you need to run so far in a boat out of Whitter. The group I'm helping only has 4 days in Alaska of hich 3 are for outtings.
    Jim,
    Sorry for rambling on in your thread. I always have big money friends have great two species trips out of Seward. However I think Spoiled1 knows his scuttlebutt. Any advice/links he posted should be good advice. Wherever you fish, may they bite hard, and the sun shine.

Default Whittier...

004.jpg 033.jpg

I normally sit back and enjoy the Whittier bashing, but once in a while, I have to jump in and play some defense. Yeah, Whittier is going through some construction, growing pains, and there are no doubt, some quirks. The tunnel and parking really aren't that bad. Whittier is basically a village which gets now gets bombarded by trailer boats and cruise ship change overs (not port of calls) for a few weeks a year. Services are scarce, in some cases, because six busy weekends won't support the infrastructure. I'm pretty sure I can sell a bag of ice to everyone in town (happy to do it, by the way) and maybe just barely pay for the electric to make it. Consider that most year round residents don't have businesses which are tourist related and with some thought, you can understand why Whittier may be considered as slow to respond. You have to take Whittier for what it is. If it makes you mad, simply go elsewhere.

I'm not computer savy enough right now to load more than a few pics on this site but here are our last two days. Early May was tough at times, but the fishing for us has been excellent and improving for the past few weeks. You can catch fish here just as you can in Valdez, Seward, Ninilchik, and Homer. All of those ports have some excellent operators to whom I refer people to each year. I think it matters far more who you go with than where you go from. I travel a ways sometimes, but certainly not more than some boats in other ports. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Well said, Matt. Glad to see you are having a good season so far.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Matt Kopec runs an excellent chartter buisiness and is one hell of a nice guy and fisherman. I highly recommend him!
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Here are three that come to mind:

http://www.fishwhittier.com/

http://www.alaskan4starcharters.com/

http://www.pwseco.com/faq.html

All three of these outfits will put you on fish, but Matt with fish whittier would be my top pick.
    I second that. I used to run my own boat out of Whittier and I had a chance to see the fish he brought in on a regular basis. He always seemed to find good fish. I went out with him once after I sold my boat and caught two over a 100 and even picked up a salmon shark.

You won't see better racks than those, nice fish.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island