Thread: Ak Hunting News: ADFG Wants Helicopters to Finish Wolf Control for Season

Arrow Ak Hunting News: ADFG Wants Helicopters to Finish Wolf Control for Season

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome. This news feed is robot generated.

With wolf control efforts lagging far behind levels state biologists want, ADFG managers are asking Governor Palin for approval to use helicopters, the Anchorage Daily News reported.

Longer days and warmer weather make March the best month for the wolf reduction project. Expensive fuel and poor winter weather conditions have hampered the efforts of volunteers. Helicopters would be much more expensive than the volunteer teams that have taken the wolves in this most recent project.

ADFG staff are awaiting a decision from the governor for the more effective, but "politically volative" decision to use helicopters, the paper reported.

The wolf control project is designed to build depressed moose and caribou populations in Interior and Southcentral Alaska.

Read the entire story in the Anchorage Daily News >>>

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

I'm all for pred control, and all for ther way the state has been doing it...........with private citizens. But this idea isn't going to work. Snow conditions are not conducive to wolf hunting over most of the state. The cost of using choppers will be way too much. High cost for little gain.
    This years weather just ain't been right for any of us. No point in making a bad year worse.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Expense justified?

I agree, this is gonna cost a ton with little chance of recouping the cost in effect on predator populations. Don't know what choppers cost in the interior but they are more than a grand an hour out here. If these monies are to come out of the wildlife budget, I don't think it's a wise investment, they have little enough as it is to monitor what we have. If the general fund or some other source is gonna put a plug of cash in to try this, then it may be worth a shot but not if it's at the expense of what I think is an already beleaguered budget.

Make it easy to sell the hides, allow semi-auto centerfires (AR-15's)... and get the hunters to do it!

Thumbs up

I guess I have a somewhat different opinion, speaking strickly of Unit 13, about 135 permited pilots/shooters, maby 20 wolves shot, don't have to land and shoot, its shooting from the air, doesn't get any better than than if your a wolf hunter. Weather and ground conditions always factor in, nothing new. Snows good. skies have been clear. yes it been cold, and lack of recent fresh snow for tracking isn't a plus. If the public can't do it under these conditions, then what? Iwould prefer a helo any day over a fixed wing, don't need snow to land, and can land a heck of a lot more places than a fixed wing. If these programs don't achieve their objectives, well we just lose more moose, caribou & sheep. And of course the Anti's will say, another failed management program that lacks complete data. And wolves repopulate very fast. Spend a 1/4 mil,,,,, I believe in Intensive Management.

Quote Originally Posted by DEDWUF View Post
    And of course the Anti's will say...
    The anti's will blame the dropping moose population on hunters

The anti's are already spreading the news and urging folks to contact the Gov. Lots more out there I am very sure, these guys are good at getting their message out

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/200...1/18375546.php

Doug

Wink

I hope the game managers in the lower 48 read this news release before they introduce any more wolves in the States!
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30