Thread: Best "Factory Loaded" ammo for .243 Winchester (Prefer 95 gr.)

Default Best "Factory Loaded" ammo for .243 Winchester (Prefer 95 gr.)

I have NO interest in getting back into reloading. However I am wondering what is some of the best factory loaded a cartridge choices for the .243 Winchester want bullet options (ONLY) in the 95 gr. area, not over 100 gr. and not less than 87 gr. Price is not a factor as I'll never use two boxes in the rest of my life. Any experience with the Win. xp3 95 gr. bullet. Firearm has a 22" barrel with a 1 in 10 twist. Thank you.

Note: Do not need to be schooled on the virtues of the .243 Win./6MM cartridge as I have see it go through (5) Five feet of Caribou.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Note: Do not need to be schooled on the virtues of the .243 Win./6MM cartridge as I have see it go through (5) Five feet of Caribou.
    I think I'd stick with the load that gave that kind of performance...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My old tang safety Ruger 243 had always given good groups and performance with the Remington 100 grain Core-Lokt. At the suggestion of a friend, I tried the newer Remington Premier Accutip with a 95 grain projectile. The groups dropped but I have not had the opportunity to try that particular round on game yet. I am keeping the newer 95 grain round with my rifle for the first coyote or hog that is unlucky enough to show themself to me.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

If you can find factory loads in 100 grain Nosler Partitions, they sure won't disappoint. I've clanked a whole lot of deer with that bullet at all sorts of ranges with perfect satisfaction. I know of three elk killed with single shots using it, all broadside running shots at 100-150 yards. Good marksmanship of course, but complete pass-throughs and quickly dead elk.

I agree with Brownbear, I have used Federals with 100 grain Nosler Partitions and had excellent results.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I think I'd stick with the load that gave that kind of performance...
    That was some hand loaded Nosler partition ammo I loaded back in the 70's. Wife shot a Caribou (60 yards) standing straight on from front to back, and the bullet was indented against the hide, did not exit.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    That was some hand loaded Nosler partition ammo I loaded back in the 70's. Wife shot a Caribou (60 yards) standing straight on from front to back, and the bullet was indented against the hide, did not exit.
    With that kind of penetration and performance, I'ld just get some loaded 100 grain NP., 5 grains in bullet weight ain't that big of a deal when the performance is there.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Like everyone else I have had fantastic results both on paper and on game with the 100gr Nosler Partition Federal ammo. My middle daughter shot a cow moose with it and she shot her black bear with it. Both of them were one shot kills.

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    With that kind of penetration and performance, I'd just get some loaded 100 grain NP., 5 grains in bullet weight ain't that big of a deal when the performance is there.
    I agree, the 100 gr. upper limit being that some bullets over 100 gr. have issues with 1 in 10 twist. We have a super secret once in a life time "Subsistence" moose hunt coming up Aug. 10'th in hog bull valley. This hunt will be destroyed this year. So it is a "One-timer".

The 95 grn Winchester XP3 bullet is longer than the 100 grn NP; due to the boat-tail configuration XP3's might not be an improvement in your 1-10" twist. The flat based NP should perform well in a 1-10 twist.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Remington 100gr Core-Lokt are also very tough and fine reputation bullet.

come get a box of the Lapua 90 grain Naturalis, give ya a deal

I have killed a boatload of michigan whitetails with the federal premium 100gr Sierra game king bullets. From 70-280 yards never failed me adn never found a bullet. THe nosler partition should be another really good choice.

I have had excellent results with Winchester 95gr. Ballistic Silver Tips on feral dogs and coyotes. And one deer so far. I shoot Winchester 100gr. Power Points out of my other .243 and they are deadly on everything from coyotes to hogs.

But if we are talking strictly big game I don't think you can do better than the 100gr. Nosler Partition.

From an accuracy standpoint, my cz chambered in 243 really likes the remington 90 grain scirocco bonded. I've thought about the bergers (HSM ammo) but need to clean the barrel before comparing them against the sciroccos. The performance of the HSM/berger bullets on the hunting shows is quite interesting. If your noslers are accurate and you get good results, why change?

pssst...hate to be the bearer of bad news but the secret may be out. Your nemesis may have posted up the likely of that hunt opportunity on at least two other threads.