Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help on grizzly taxidermy

Default help on grizzly taxidermy

I have an 8'6" grizzly at the taxidermist. I have decided against a lifesize mount because of cost and the logistics of such a large piece ( my wife says it could go where the couch is, but then where would I sleep ) So a rug it must be. I have two black bear rugs ,open mouth. I'd appreciate opinions re open vs closed mouth rugs, bright color vs earth tone backing? My other two have brown and loden green felts. the bear is chocolate silver tipped. Opinions would be really appreciated as my friends are not hunters and are quite useless insuch things and my taxidermist just wants my money. thanks gentlemen, I look forward to your suggestions.

My thoughts as a hunter and a taxidermist is why would I want to show an animal mad when it was not mad. They only time I would suggest to a customer that they get an open mouth (besides panting) is if they have the story or scars to go with it.

Insightful observation, much appreciated. Now that you point that out, I think I would agree.Thanks!

2nd what kiz said. Open mouths just don't look real to me.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

One more for closed mouth

Doug

Talking bear rugs

Bear rugs are probably the least demanding of a taxidermist's skills of just about anything we do, cause no matter what or how good you do, it won't be natural. Open...vicious w/snarl or closed looking like bubba mickey mouse. Having great hair goes a long way. I feel that felt colors that inhance the color and size of the bear is definitly the way to go. Look at the felt as a picture frame...one doesn't want it to be so gaudy as to distract from the picture. And if the bear is skinned, let's just say less than perfect for the sake of young eyes, it can be balanced to a small degree. It's too bad you can't get it lifesized...sounds like a heck of a bear. Do you have a wall big enough?

I've wrestled with the lifesizing issue. First, it would seem to me to be a heck of a problem moving the mount (wouldn't fit in my 91 Chevy stepside pick up under canopy), hard to get up or down the stairs in my house to main floor or to basement. I thought about putting it in my officewaiting room, but the treehuggers would lynch me.Finally, when I get old, old, old, the big bear would be a hassle for my kids. My taxidermist of course suggests I just build a trophy room. He's got lots of money (mine!) and is not paying for college education for 3 kids so he is always full of ideas on how to spend money (again usually someone else's) You see my predicament, now?

What about a half life size. takes up a lot less room but still shows the size really well.

I went with the open mouth and I really like it. Every one who has seen my bear thinks it looks great. Thats my 2 cents.

Default another one for closed mouth

I have one mount that's open mouth, a cougar. I get tired of the same old questions (especially from non-hunters) ei. "are those his real teeth" or "is that his real tongue". Closed mouth is much more natural, imo.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Bear rugs are probably the least demanding of a taxidermist's skills of just about anything we do, cause no matter what or how good you do, it won't be natural. Open...vicious w/snarl or closed looking like bubba mickey mouse. Having great hair goes a long way. I feel that felt colors that inhance the color and size of the bear is definitly the way to go. Look at the felt as a picture frame...one doesn't want it to be so gaudy as to distract from the picture. And if the bear is skinned, let's just say less than perfect for the sake of young eyes, it can be balanced to a small degree. It's too bad you can't get it lifesized...sounds like a heck of a bear. Do you have a wall big enough?

Nicely put. Use colors that enhance the rug - personally I can't stand rugs with red, green, blue, etc...they don't enhance the rug at all. Use tones that are within the colors of the hide. I'm for closed mouth rugs as well. Open mouth rugs just don't do it for me cause the inside of the mouth isn't real so who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by kiz View Post
    What about a half life size. takes up a lot less room but still shows the size really well.

In my opinion I think half life size mounts should only be done if the hair was crap - like a really rubbed rear end bear - then I can see cutting the hide, but if you have a beautiful hide then why cut it up? Isn't the hide why you shot the bear in the first place? I never understood the half life size thing.

Shoulder - 1/2 lifesize on a habitat pedestal.

Quote Originally Posted by wags View Post
    I have one mount that's open mouth, a cougar. I get tired of the same old questions (especially from non-hunters) ei. "are those his real teeth" or "is that his real tongue". Closed mouth is much more natural, imo.
    Mark
    Exactly - another reason against open mouth rugs. I had a guy ask me - how did the taxidermist preserve and position the tongue like that? DUH. No more open mouth mounts for me.

I rugged out a nice blackbear a few years ago and had the same questions. The only form I could get that fit it was open mouth so I altered it for a closed mouth. Now I'm wishing I did a partial open almost like panting but without the tounge hanging out. I might rehydrate the head and redo it. A semi snarl is not too bad either, more realistic than a full open mouth.

--Bill

Wink

Other than making it a bathrobe lol, I think Maydog, and Shoot2Kill have it nailed!! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default Lifesize on the wall

Why not have a lifesize mount that hangs on the wall. I have a lifesize black bear and a lifesize mountain lion that hang on the wall and take up less room than a rug would.

Talking realism

Personally, I feel it's just a matter of individual choice on open vs closed mouth. Let's face it, realism isn't quite the right word describing an animal laid flat out with a felt border around it. Realism can only be applied to lifesize mounts in my humble, grubby, sniveling and opinionated opinion. Hummm...maybe I smell another thread on the horizon...rug or lifesize? Then maybe not.

Default No to Half Mount

The half mount is the least desireable in my opinion. It looks like the person either ran out of money or the bear ran thru the wall and died.

I'd go closed mouth and pick a color for the matting and border that not only accents the hide well but matches other things in your house.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast