Thread: Question for 1911 shooters

Arrow Question for 1911 shooters

I have the gun buying urge again, as always. As of late I have been looking at a Kimber Crimson Carry II. It is their full size 1911 with the aluminum alloy frame and steel slide. Sights are plain black and it has the Crimson Laser grips. All I have ever owned is the full size steel 1911's and never really had a urge for others except a Series 70 Colt Light Weight Commander, some day. If I do get this Kimber I would try to sell the Crimson grips, put some cool ones on it, and replace the front sight with a Tritium one. For the rear sight, black in the back works for me. I would want a crisp 4 lb. trigger. Any of you shoot any alloy framed 1911's? Other then a little slower on repeat shots due to weight is their any other issues such as durability? Guess I should see if they make the same set up with out Crimson grips.

I have the SC Pro, which is a 4" barrel on the alloy frame. by far the my favorite 1911 I have ever owned. Personally I do not feel any difference as far as speed of follow up shots. I only shoot hand loads with 200g hard cast FN bullets, I really don't think there is much difference in follow up shots. I definitely prefer the lighter gun for carry, I also have a 3" springfield micro compact that is alloy as well. I have about 3500 rounds through the springfield and 1900 through the Kimber, and no real wear to speak of.

I sold a full sized stainless Springfield 1911 A1 to buy the kimber, and man o man what a difference in weight, that was a heavy sucker! But it had a butter smooth action, felt like the slide was traveling on ball bearings. Should have kept that one.

This is the Kimber with VZ grips.

If you keep an eye on gunbroker you may be able to find your gun without the CT grips. I have seen lots of different set ups.

I would love to try to do a deal with you for the grips, I have a 10MM Kimber "Eclipse Custom II" which has very nice green and black stock grips. I also have some nice Double Diamond grips that came on my Colt "Rail Gun" they are redish.

I have had a Kimber Pro Carry CDP 2 for a few years now and have had no durability or reliability issues with the alloy frame in just over 1000 rounds of mixed reloads and factory ammo fired. I did get Wilson 47D magazines to use in mine because I read of some magazines with metal followers damaging the feed ramp on alloy frames prematurely (1911 forum). The reduction in weight really makes a pleasant difference for carrying IMHO. Recoil is probably increased somewhat especially with +P defense ammo but is by no means uncontrolable compared to a standard steel framed 1911. From experience with my Kimber and a few others I've shot, seems most factory triggers will average somewhere between 4.5-5.5 lbs and will improve slightly with wear. If you get one and are unhappy with the trigger, you could always buy Cylinder & Slide matched drop in sear, disconnector, hammer set and get the exact trigger you want.

I also have a government sized S&W PD 1911 with the scandium frame/steel slide. Weight reduction is dramatic compared to steel framed and makes it very easy to carry all day. This one has seen well over 1000 rounds as well and I've seen no durability issues with the light weight frame. Just from my limited experience and a lot of reading, I would not hesitate buying an aluminum framed 1911 as they have proven to be durable and servicable for many thousands of rounds if kept lubricated properly.

Hope your able to satisfy that gun buying urge soon, always a good thing!

Not sure about some other brands but Colt's lightweight alloy frames used to have problems cracking at the slide release pin hole. I currently own and carry a SS 45 Colt Officers model (not enhanced) that's been through Risengers custom shop in Dallas,Texas.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have both steal and alloy frame 1911s and Lightweight 1911 are great for carry but you obviously give up some strength to get it. If you dont shoot that much you may never see enough wear to make a difference. I have heard life span can be around 50,000 rounds, give or take. But i have seen cracks and excessive wear well before that. That said i would love one of these

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_ulc-compact.htm

+1 on the VZ grips

I've been carrying an alloy frame Para-Ord .45 for over 15 years. Zero durability issues.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I have a 50's era alloy Commander from before they were even called lightweights. I rescued it with a rusted up slide and rebuilt/refinished the whole thing. The guy I got it from said he carried it for years and shot several thousand rounds through it. Since I have owned it I have fired a little over 9,000 rounds through it. It is easily the most fired gun I have owned. No reliability issues, no frame cracks at all.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have two alloy framed 1911s. One is a Kimber Pro Carry II that I bought a month and a half ago and I just ordered Crimson Trace grips for it three days ago. I have put 500 + rounds thru the Kimber and I'm impressed. Probably the nicest trigger I have encountered on a handgun.

I haven't had the Kimber long enough to speak to durability, but my Para Ordnance Warthawg has over 5 thousand rounds thru it and the frame is fine.

ya ought to wait Colt Lwt Commanders are inbound. Less expensive and better than the Kimbers

Less expensive and better than the Kimbers
    I am not so sure, if I were a betting man I think similar models the Colt will cost more. As far as being better that is definitely Opinion, mine differs there, I had a jammomatic commander which turned me off. Of course one bad apple does not mean much, that can happen with any brand but I was less than happy to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmik View Post
    I am not so sure, if I were a betting man I think similar models the Colt will cost more. As far as being better that is definitely Opinion, mine differs there, I had a jammomatic commander which turned me off. Of course one bad apple does not mean much, that can happen with any brand but I was less than happy to say the least.
    I had a jammomatic kimber tactical pro. I won't go there again.I have at least a dozen of perfectly functioning colt 1911s. I have an order in foe a new special combat government carry. Colt has gotten all my money for new 1911s lately.

I have at least a dozen
    DOZEN!? I thought I loved 1911s, I have so far been able to control my urges as long as I keep away from gun broker. i am down to two right now, But at the moment I don't have a full size govt model so I am always watching out for a deal. I had the chance at a Wilson Combat CQB last week that I almost could not resist.
    You definitely can't go wrong with a 1911, whatever flavor you like, hell even Ruger is making them now.....if you are a Ruger fan.